Thread: Translucent Mushroom Circle (Story Prompts - every Sunday)

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Default Translucent Mushroom Circle (Story Prompts - every Sunday)

As you step into the circle, the translucent mushrooms light up, one after the other. Each detaches a mote of fire that dances round you, almost bright enough to blind. When you blink, you find yourself standing in a dark forest - washed clean of colour by the night, though the bright hunter’s moon paints the topside of every leaf and branch with pale silver. In front of you is a clearing in the pine trees, and in the centre of that clearing stands a tall slab of rock, with a silver mirror embedded in its smooth face. There is just enough light for you to see your own face, reflected back.

“Welcome.”

You turn to see a willowy figure step out from behind a tree that should be too slender to hide behind. She crosses the clearing with unhurried steps, her feet leaving no prints in the sodden pine needles, her steps making no sound. Her black cloak falls around her like a shadow, its cowl hooding her head, though a tail of blonde hair falls out of it, across one shoulder. You see a red gemstone at her throat, an elaborate rose tattoo curling across her forehead. Her face is that of a young woman, though as she passes in front of the mirror you catch something in the reflection - something paler, something gaunter.

“Go ahead,” the eerie woman prompts you, extending a hand back towards the mirror. “Take a look. Amuse me.

As you step forward, you see the reflection of your face begin to shimmer and run like oil. The colours run together, flowing into looping, cursive script.

This story begins with a letter.

The fae creature’s mirror has gifted you with a writing prompt. Dare you take up her challenge?

Spoiler: Rules 

Entries will be linked below, and the week’s winner will be announced along with the next prompt every Sunday at approximately 4pm GMT

Spoiler: Week 1 - “This story begins with a letter.” 

Spoiler: Week 2 - “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” 

Spoiler: Week 3 - “It’s official. I'm literally the worst.” 

Spoiler: Week 4 - “Now all you have to do is tell them.” 
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 10-22-2023 at 03:21 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fandom, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Action/Adventure
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Spoiler: Week 1 - "This story begins with a letter." 
    Find a tale or three or five to read but be warned. It is never easy to see where the plot may be going As the Story Crumbles

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Thank you @ArtisticVicu! We can always count on you when the writing prompts roll out.

The strange woman listens quietly, without interrupting. Beneath the shadow of her hood you can see that her eyes are yellow as a cat's - intense, focused. And then her lips twitch, just slightly, into the suggestion of a smile.

“Interesting.” she whispers. “The butterfly wings of fate, changing everything, and at the same time perhaps changing nothing. Please, continue.”

You see the words within the mirror begin to slide and shift, darting away as you focus on each as if no longer wanting to be read. But soon enough they begin to coalesce once again, reconfiguring into new words. You fancy that you can hear them whispering in your ear, though perhaps that is just the night wind sifting through the pines.

Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 10-16-2023 at 07:35 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Spoiler: Week 2 - “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” 
    Find a tale or three or five to read but be warned. It is never easy to see where the plot may be going As the Story Crumbles

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

@ArtisticVicu slays it again! Thank you for participating

The ethereal woman listens as you recount the story of not-so-harmless team banter, but looks around sharply as you recite Tyler's line about trying to be overly spooky. She rounds on the mirror embedded in the rock.

"Are you mocking me?" she demands sharply of the silent, silver glass.

The mirror, of course, gives no reply. The fae woman maintains her composure for the rest of your tale, but you can see the agitation in the way her feet shift, the way her long fingers clench and unclench. She meets the conclusion of your story with a curt, distracted nod, before shooting another venomous glance at the mirror.

"If you're mocking me, I will end you." she tells it, before shaking her head and combing her hair back into place with her fingers. "Excuse me. Please carry on."

Behind her the mirror swirls with mist and delivers its third phrase: It's official. I'm literally the worst.

(It's definitely mocking her)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Spoiler: Week 3 - “It’s official. I'm literally the worst.” 

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Thank you @ArtisticVicu!

The fae creature presses her palms together and inhales deeply.

"Survivor's guilt, the morality of war...all in one small tale." She lets the breath out. "I wonder if it's from the same world as the first one."

As she muses, she glances up at the moon, which is beginning to dip towards the western horizon. Already it is brushing the tops of the distant pine trees.

"Alas. Time, as ever, is short. Still, I think we may hear one more story before the end."

The mirror shifts and melts, revealing its final phrase.

Now all you have to do is them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Spoiler: Week 4 - “Now all you have to do is tell them.”