Kysmĉt

Calamity Isis Mae Sensibility, Georgina Wright, & Manisha Leos

Spoiler: The Girls' Adventure 

Akinasha

Panos Lambros & Vahşi

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi part 4 

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi part 5 

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi part 6 
    Last edited by Minkasha; 07-19-2016 at 02:51 AM.
    Thank you MayhemsCurse <3

Spoiler: Memorable Quotes 

PREACH FORGIVE ME PLEASE I BEG OF YOU!
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Akinasha

Panos Lambros & Vahşi

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi Part 8 

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi part 9 

Spoiler: Panos & Vahşi Part 10 
    Last edited by Minkasha; 10-22-2015 at 10:54 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The house, as Gina discovered, was surprisingly familiar. Whether the other houses in the village boasted the same kind of interior she had no idea, but this one held a number of recognisably human furnishings. She followed a short hallway as Cal and the kittens pattered left into the kitchen, and another motion-sensor door swished aside to reveal a bedroom painted in dark green, the walls following the curve of the house. The carpet was dull grey, but soft beneath her bare feet. Everything seemed very clean and orderly, from the large double bed to the tall dresser, to the simple flat table with an hourglass-shaped piece of frosted glass that Gina thought might be a lamp. The door closed quietly behind them, muffling the sounds of Cal, Taar and Mita clattering about in the kitchen. Gina was glad to note that the ringing left in her ears by the gunshots was gradually dying away.

"Let's see what we can find." she said quietly. She turned to regard Manisha, and twisted her mouth. "How are you feeling about all this so far?"

Manisha was still staring at her with a look of quiet discontent. However, she still walked in and stared, touching a wall and then looking at her fingertips, repeating the action.

"It'th not a dream, ith it?" Manisha said in a gloomy whisper. "I really want thith to be a big big dream."

Gina's face fell in sympathy. "I know exactly what you mean. One minute I was in West Hills and the next I was in your world with no idea why...I didn't know what to think."

She gathered her hair over one shoulder and stood there toying with the ends.

"I'm sorry you got dragged into this. And like I said, I'm really sorry that I spent the last day impersonating your friend. I didn't know what else to do while we sussed out where we were." She shrugged helplessly. "For what it's worth, your text helped quite a bit when we were trying to work out how to deal with Lycus."

Mainisha did not seem at all comforted by what Gina had just said. The young brunette leaned her body against the wall she had been touching and looked ready to sob.

"Thee wath my betht friend." Her lisp dominated her words. "Thee wath my beth friend and now I don't know if thee'th alive or dead!"

It was this outing thought that pushed her over the edge and she started to cry.

"My betht friend! Thee wath my thithter!"

"Hey..." Gina said gently, taking a step closer to Manisha and tentatively putting her hands on her arms, half expecting the other woman to pull away.

The fate of their doppelgängers was a question that had occurred to Gina - now that they were out of Manisha's world, were the people they had replaced back in their own skins, or were they still stuck in limbo somewhere? Manisha's tears brought the unfairness of the situation home - viscerally. Gina had had to leave good friends behind when she left the UK, and she had failed a number of other people since...but she hadn't had to deal with a complete lack of explanation, and she certainly hadn't had a strange lookalike following her around reminding her of the loss.

God knew they could all do with a minute to process things - and in a way, having Manisha to support was a blessing. It stopped her own worries from pushing too far to the front of her mind. She took a breath.

"I know where you're coming from. I do, and I'm so sorry. I promise you, we're going to find whoever's putting us through all this and make them send us back. And that includes all the lives they've messed with along the way, like yours and Gigi's. If they can pull people out of reality, they must be able to put them back."

Once again, Gina couldn't help but think that the person who wanted her to free them might not have the best intentions, judging by their methods. And yet, the only way to confront them was to follow the trail that had been laid out.

"What was she like?" she asked; looking at Manisha with an earnest expression, trying to connect. "Gigi?"

Manisha kept against the wall to soothe herself. She looked away from Gina.

"Thee wath the thluttiest, betht bitch a girl could athk for." She had went on to say with sobbing admiration while she stared at the door of the bedroom. "Thee wath confident and funny and got all the men thee wanted and no one could tell her otherwithe. Thee wath hot and thuper thexy and the queen of Crete..."

Gigi Nikas, Gina thought, and almost smiled. A queen for the Skins generation. She wondered how Gigi and Manisha had ended up as friends, and reflected that there was always something admirable about people who simply didn't give a shit about what anyone else thought. It was good to know that Gigi really hadn't kept Manisha around just to lord it over someone less desirable than she was.

All the while, she was certain Manisha was telling her that Gina herself was not all of the things she had pretended to be for a day. She wasn't about to deny it - her party days had ended with the move to Austere. That didn't mean that she hadn't flicked through her old Facebook photos more than a few times, wishing that things could go back to being so simple. She was still thankful to Izzy for not putting up the pictures of her sitting in the middle of a living room pillow fort, wearing a manic grin and pupils that were dilated as wide as saucers. That was a great night, even if the comedown was fucking horrible, and dad grounded me for a month. And to think that Baka might have ended up with the same saucer eyes if she hadn't been there when he mistook Gigi's E pills for sweets!

The flutter of humour died and curled into a fist behind her navel, mirroring the awful tug she had felt after the first gunshot. Baka's dead. She swallowed away the lump in her throat.

"Gigi would've made a better queen than Lycus made an emperor." she said after a moment, musing in response to Manisha's description. It wasn't entirely a lie - while Gina doubted Gigi's ability to take responsibility for anything, let alone a country, it was still better than a murdering tyrant who wanted to burn down the neighbouring city states.

"How did you meet her anyway?" Gina tried instead.

Manisha gave her complete disregard, pulling herself into a ball and becoming further swallowed in her emotions. "A party yearth ago. Thee was a friend of a friend, but I thought thee wath amazing. I had to be her friend. I got her all the drugth I could and then we thtarted hanging out and became the best of friendth, doing everything together...thee wath my thithter."

Manisha went to wipe her eyes that wouldn't let up, fat tears dripping. But she glared up at Gina and looked away. She looked to be done with talking to her for now.

"I'm sorry." Gina said again, gently. "I know how shit this must be for you, getting dumped here and watching me parade around in Gigi's skin..." She shook her head. "I promise you that we're going to find out where she went, and how to get her back."

She turned to face the room, rubbing her arm.

"Back in the palace the symbols on our arms acted like they were supposed to be some sort of clue. If we can find something similar around here it might be our way out."

Still standing next to Manisha, she looked around. The large double bed was covered with fitted sheets and hand-quilted blankets in various shades of green, though oddly there were no pillows. On the walls around the bed and dresser drawers were dreamcatcher-like decorations made from dangling leather straps and beads, as well as pinned-up paintings and doodles that Gina assumed had been made by Taar and Mita. Most of them were of stick figure cat-people, some holding what looked like spears or guns.

Gina looked up at the dresser thoughtfully. It was six drawers tall; the top one almost too high for Gina to see into even if she stood on tiptoe. Frowning, she padded over to the dresser and pulled out the top-most drawer experimentally, thinking back to the multiple sets of sandals she had seen in the porch.

"Do you think someone else used to live here with Cal?" she asked Manisha as she pulled out various sets of miscellaneous garments.

Manisha shrugged at Gina's question.

"The little cute cat children would thay thomething." she answered with a mumbling, lispy voice.

Gina considered. "Yeah, I think you might be right. Maybe we can find a roundabout way of asking them over lunch."

Seeing Manisha's discontented look, she bit the inside of her cheek.

"Listen, I'm sorry, you don't need to help right now. If you need to take a moment, take it. And if you need to get anything off your chest, talk to us. It doesn't have to be me - you can talk to Cal if that feels less weird. She's a smart girl, not to mention she was a princess back in her world, so she'll know a hell of a lot more about the palace life than me."

She rested her hand on the open drawer.

"I'm going to have a scout around for clues. The faster we figure out what we're supposed to be doing here, the sooner we can get us home and you and Gigi back together."

Manisha glared through her teary eyes.

"You don't have the right to thay her name." With that, she turned her head to avoid contact.

Gina exhaled quietly, but let it go. "Maybe not. But I'm still going to help you find her."

Turning back to the dresser and rooting around in the drawer, she was gaining little more than socks, folded up shawls and scarves. Odd garments for what so far looked like a jungle environment, she thought. Maybe Cal did some travelling. Just as she was wondering, one of her fingers brushed a leather bound surface under a pile of socks.

"Hey up." she muttered, and pulled out a small personal journal with a small closing strap. On the surface of the brown journal was the Mercury symbol, which Gina instantly recognised.

"This is just like one we found in Vahsi's room." she said, showing the book to Manisha, who gave it a dismissive side glance. Just like the book from before, most of the pages were blank spare one in the middle which had the familiar Mercury and Venus signs. Now however, there was also the male symbol of Mars, together with a description of action, violence, masculinity, assertion, potency and rage.

"We should keep a hold of this." Gina mused aloud, "It helped us before."

When Manisha remained unresponsive, she chewed her cheek before putting a hand on her hip.

"We'll work out what we're going to do next over lunch. But I want us to work together, when you're ready." She crossed to the door, and paused as it glided open. "You know where I am."

Leaving Manisha to her own space, she took stock of the hallway. A small, tight staircase made of white tiles spiralled up from an alcove to the left of the bedroom, leading up to a second floor. The handrail was grooved and twisted to resemble a vine snaking up the outer edge of the stair. Gina gripped it as she made her way up, consciously watching her step.

The upstairs floor, like the one below, was divided into three rooms, their walls sloping with the dome of the house. Apart from the bathroom were two smaller mirrors of the downstairs bedroom - one with blue walls, one with sea-green. The beds were much smaller than the ones downstairs.

These look like Taar and Mita's rooms. she thought. Me and Manisha must live somewhere else.

Looking at the walls, she wondered if the paint colours had been chosen to match the kittens' eyes. Each room had a small bedside table with a fluted lamp, and a bookshelf of painted wood was secured into the straight inner walls.

Now we might be getting somewhere. As she looked at the small collection of hardbacks that filled the shelf in the teal room, she felt a tingle in her mark-branded wrist, and the fat squiggles along the spines of the books became recognisable English. Just like Gigi's phone, Gina realised, massaging her wrist as the tingle faded.

Picking two likely-looking titles, she headed back down with the three small books under her forearm. A closer inspection of the downstairs rooms revealed a sitting room and, more importantly, a small study with another bookshelf. There were no photos, and no phone - in fact, despite the modern-looking appliances in the kitchen and bathroom, there didn't seem to be any sort of telecommunications at all - but at least there were books. Finding something that looked like a history book, Gina sat down in the living room and skimmed through it while Cal and the kittens carried on cooking.

From what she could determine from her crash-course studying, the planet they were on was called Kysmĉt, and the cat-people called themselves the Bayn’gül. There were several references to a great disease they called The Enemy Within, which caused a crippling sensitivity to pain and had killed a lot of their people. Kysmĉt was apparently an untamed rainforest jungle for the most part, filled with violent beasts if the children's books were to be believed. We'll have to watch our step outside the village.

An appetising scent of grilled fish preceded Cal and the kittens as they carried a set of loaded plates into the room. It was the first good food Gina had seen since the palace, and she didn't have to worry about it being laced with amnesiacs either. She hadn't predicted how happy that little piece of normality was going to make her feel.

"That smells good!" Gina said, smiling genuinely for the first time since their arrival. She glanced towards the bedroom door, which was still shut. "Manisha?" she called, "Food's up!"

Taar and Mita scampered around them as they set the plates down, pausing only to knead their feet into the soft carpet. It was such a cat-like mannerism that Gina had to smile again.

"Look what I found." she said to Cal as she joined her on the sofa, putting down the zodiac book with its signs and descriptors facing the other girl.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 01-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

As Cal followed the two youngsters into the adjoining kitchen, she caught her companions in her peripherals, slipping away to explore the rest of the house. Hopefully they can find out more about why we're here, she thought, knowing she had better try to do the same; though she would have to be cautious in how she questioned the kittens. She had almost given herself away with her initial reaction to them, though she had managed to recover on that occasion.

Though the kitchen's furnishings weren't outlandish, Cal still paused in her progress, chewing her lip.

The first step in appearing to be the person she was supposed to be, right now, was to cook. Something the spoiled girl had never actually done before, she realised now that the situation was at hand.

"Okay," she muttered under her breath, approaching the door of the fridge and pulling it open, stalling a moment while she pretended to survey the contents. "You can do this. Just pick something simple, it can't be too hard..."

Her eyes fell on a platter of filleted fish, already descaled and prepared for cooking. She nodded to herself, and retrieved it from it's shelf, turning to the children.

"Some nice grilled fish, how about that?" she smiled down at them. Cats loved fish - or at least where she came from they did.

The two kitty children purred and nestled each side of Cal, their furry faces soft against her bare forearms. The girl smiled at the affectionate display, unused to such; her mother had never been the hugging type. Around Cal were strange kitchen objects that she had never seen before. On the faux marble counter, a sharp distinction Cal could now tell after setting in a palace of pure genuine marble, was a silver device that had a silver bowl and inside were two stick with windy ends, along the counters was a silver square box, with a glossy surface that had four dark spots embedded. The blue screen above its handle on the front asking for temperature.

Taar wrapped his tail around Cal's thigh, purring and rubbing away. Mita was staring at the fish with her blue feline eyes and pursing her human like lips together. They both were waiting for her.

Raw fish in hand, the teen looked around, hoping the puzzlement wasn't plain on her face as she searched for the fireplace where she might cook the meat. Finding none, her eyes fell on the unfamiliar objects in the room; hovering by the silver bowl containing the unfamiliar metal sticks before moving to the box that took precedence in the room. It's place of pride in the centre of the counter suggested it was important, and she could see no other options. But how did it work? Setting the plate on the counter, she leaned on it's top with one hand, fiddling with one of the dials on the front with the other. The markings on the glowing screen on the boxes front flickered and changed as she did, and Cal nodded. Though she wasn't sure what she had done, she had made it do something.

Aside from the display, nothing about the box seemed to have changed - focused on the dial, she did not immediately notice the temperature under her hand growing; the flat surface, once cool, had moved from comfortably warm to blistering hot in a short period of time. The girl yelped, lifting her hand hurriedly from the surface to find that one of the previously dark circles now glowed a fiery orange-red.

For a moment she just stared, nursing her scalded hand. The fire... it's inside this box! But how? A nuzzle on her arm, and concerned gazes up at her from the children brought her sharply back to awareness of her situation, and she managed a smile, reaching out with her uninjured hand to stroke the closest of the kittens (Mita, she thought, I must start thinking of them by their names.) between the ears.

"I'm alright," she reassured them, "I'm just tired. Lack of sleep makes you silly, sometimes!"

At least I'm getting somewhere, she thought. If the pain in her hand was anything to go by, the heat emanating from the box was certainly strong enough to cook the fish. Opening the door to the cupboard closest to the box, she exhaled in relief to find that it contained dark metal pans. It would not do to go rummaging through every cupboard, revealing herself to be unaware of the location of things in her own kitchen. Placing it on the hot circle, she laid the filleted fish inside, the pieces beginning to crackle merrily as they took in the heat.

"Now," she turned to look at the children, leaning against the bench. Her burned hand was curled against her belly, though she tried not to let on how badly it was still stinging.

"Weren't you two going to tell me about your day? What did you get up to while I was out?"
    Both cat-children were looking at her, finding her unquestionably strange. The slits of their eyes drew narrow, tails swishing as they looked at Cal's burnt hand. They seemed upset with the frowning of their lips coming into a deep set expression.

"We were learning how to hunt in the jungle" Mita said first.

"Koolkal a really good mentor, he is making us tired" Taar looked like he was straining to elevate the social mood as his expression was one of confusion and strife while studying her.

"He made us really hungry today..." Mita said, biting her lower lip and swishing her gray, white streaked tail.

"Well, we better get this food ready for you soon then," Cal gave a rather desperate looking smile, ignoring the beads of sweat on the back of her neck. However the children's 'nurturer' normally acted, she certainly didn't seem to be hitting the mark. She glanced nervously between the kittens, gulping down a lump in her throat at their narrowed eyes and swishing tails.

"I'm proud to hear you're working hard," she fumbled, pulling a pair of metal, pincer-like items from a drawer and using them to flip the fish in the pan, which was starting to emit a delicious aroma.

Glancing back and seeing them still eyeing her suspiciously, Cal managed another smile.

"Now don't worry about me*," she told them firmly, "I'm fine! Everything's fine*. Taar, will you get some plates? Mita - cutlery, please."
    Both cat children put a hand to their head, groaning, oddly simultaneously. After a pause the two cat-children looked up at her and smiled.

"Okay" Taar said, he went to fetch the plates from a silver metal shelf under the counter. The girl had to be agile as she jumped up on the counter with feline grace, doing so in one motion, standing to open the cupboard.

Cal simply stood and stared as the kittens, after their momentary outbursts of pain, turned to comply with what she had asked. What? she thought, A moment ago they were suspicious, and now...

Shaking her head, she, for lack of any other way to check it, used the tongs to break off a small piece from one of the fillets, blowing on it before she ate it.

"Done!" she announced with a triumphant, albeit small, smile. Well look at that - I can do things for myself! Taking the topmost plate from the stack Taar had pulled from the shelf, she transferred the fish from pan to plate, her stomach grumbling at the smell.

Unsure how to stop the heat emanating from the stove, she fiddled with the dial that had created it, winding it in the opposite direction than she had initially until it gave a small click.

Hopefully that's stopped it. I don't want to burn down their...
    our house, she thought grimly, and turned back to the kittens, who seemed much more complacent toward her now. Odd, she thought again. She knew she had a commanding nature - it had been bred into her - but surely it wasn't enough to make them change so suddenly. She wrinkled her nose - perhaps Gina would be able to shed some light on it.

Thinking of Gina and their new companion, she frowned. She really should have tried to find out more about who they were - she had become distracted with the childrens' suspicions, and really hadn't found out much, other than they trained with this Koolkal, whoever they were.

"Shall we go and find Gina and Manisha, and let them know the food is ready?" she smiled. "You've met them before, haven't you?" It was a risk... but perhaps she would be able to bring them around again, if they once more grew suspicious.
    Taar and Mita had stopped enjoying their plates and stared at Cal as she finished asking. Their eyes lingered for a long pause, expressionless till Mita clicked her mouth and swished her tail.*

"Yesss" The cat girl suddenly laughed and the cat-boy joined her.

"You're silly, nurturer"

Cal forced herself to give a little giggle along with them.

"Of course. Silly me!" she smiled. "Let's go find them, shall we?"

Though she faked a casual air, inwardly she was frowning, disappointed with herself. She dared not risk pressing them with more questions, when they were already clearly suspicious.. albeit switching between that and their normal, carefree attitudes. She hoped the other two had been able to find out more than she. At least she'd managed the food part well enough.

The fish and kittens in tow, she exited the kitchen.

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Wolfinal, Lemanian

Justice Kolton, Panos Lambros & Vahşi

Led back into the gloomy streets of Wolfinal Vahşi traveled alone spared the hairy blonde man who was leading. As a singular individual he drew more attention from the population as he was looked at with confusion from children and the towering adults. The Fenrisans though kept to themselves, all behavior quiet and tame. Vahşi had been expecting a bit more interest but he didn't mind the others' preoccupation with themselves. Hopefully Kolton would get Panos out of here if he got himself murdered.

Ten to twelve minutes of walking passed till he was taken to a square concrete building that wasn't taller than a story nor longer or wider than fifty feet. Inside, as the door was opened for him, Vahşi saw that it looked like a bar. There were wooden tables and chairs knocked over and propped up to make a large square in the center of the basic layout of the bar. Only a few, thirteen or so, Fenrisans were here including Queen Anadel who laid on the bar to the left of the little 'arena' The people with her were dressed in their gentry clothes as the mundane population ones, spare the exception of one hulking armor wearing, giant bullet gun wielding guard by the door on its inside. When he looked over the large bulky pauldron of his silverish blue armor, he sneered and then smiled with his fangs as a welcome.

The Queen raised a glass in Vahşi's direction.

"I had friends who wanted to see what the little-grown man could do!"

"Always happy to die in front of an audience," Vahşi said, his usual smirk slipping back onto his face. He was no stranger to battling for his life, having done so just a couple days ago, but this was the first time he'd be so outmatched. Though he would never admit it, except perhaps at a much later date, he was starting to feel just a bit scared. Queen Anadel's dulled golden eyes stared at Vahşi, dead inside. She childishly pouted.

"Do be much more fun then you were in the throne room..." She teased the little man with a peek up her dress by pulling open the slit that went up her leg. He had been flashed with her long, auburn-haired legs, and questionably her center, but she had dropped the fabric too quickly to be certain. "I want my little boy to enjoy himself."

A floor hatch was pulled open and two male Fenrisans were dragging up an obscenely tall man of ten feet. He was half naked, arms bound behind him and his chest swallowed in chains. He was also a handsome fellow, with the same cheekbones the family shared. He had an oval shaped face like his mother but with a stronger jaw covered in blonde stubble. His eyes were hooded, his brows still high and thick at the center to thin out mildly by the almost straight messy tips. He was lean despite his great height and well-proportioned.

To Vahşi, the moment he saw him he could also feel a sense of importance come from him as it was also coming from the queen. Queen Anadel laughed and clapped her hands together, alcohol spilling over the side of the glass.

"My little love, why had you to be so stupid and dim-witted to hurt your own mommy?" The chained wolf prince said nothing, growling at the men pushing him forward. The gunned guard at the door had his weapon aimed at the bound captive. "Now, now, I know that this fight seems so unfair! So let's even it!"

The queen laughed, making her friends join her.The tables and chairs were pushed wide open, enough to shove the prince in the impromptu arena after he has been unchained. His muscles neatly outlined through his lightly toned skin. He kept his glare on his mother.

The queen looked at Vahşi again and pulled back the auburn hair that had covered the right side of her face. She teasingly wiggled a foot his way.

"You get a free shot! Simply tell my guardian friend where you'd like a bullet lodged in my little boy and he'll do it! But!" She swished a finger into the air "Don't pick anywhere vital because that would ruin the fun and none of us here would like that!" The other wolf people cheered in agreement.

"And he'll do it!" The falsely cheery voice pushed Vahşi back into another world and time. The pistol grip was rough and cold against his fingers. He angled his body toward the child and held the weapon out in front of him, cupping it in both hands. "One shot and we'll be done," the leader finished in a cheery voice, smiling confidently at the military generals watching them through the glass. He sounded more like a doctor reassuring a child than someone ordering a murder. Vahşi raised the weapon and turned toward the leader before he fired. As always, his eyes closed before he pulled the trigger. When they reopened he was back in the Fenrisan arena.

"I would not so dishonour my opponent," he said. "A long time ago, I was a prince as well. Whether he kills me or not, he has my respect." After all, he doubted the Fenrisan wanted to battle for his life just so a class he was no longer a part of could be amused. Vahşi understood that. Before the humans turned on them, his family had been the rulers of one of the lupian clans. The irony of the situation was not lost on him. "Let's begin."
    Queen Anadel's son shook his head, moving his wavy blond hair that went to his shoulders.

Queen Anadel sighed and adjusted herself on the bar to lean on her other side. She took another sip of her glass.

"Mmmm, no. Not fun. I'll pick." She looked at the guard by the door and slapped her left knee. A piercing sound came through the room, a bullet flying so fast by Vahşi's face that he felt the heat and speed move his black locks, and went into the man's left kneecap. Through his dress pants the area was exploded with red and the man hissed.

"FUCK!" the wolf prince screamed, going down to his other knee.

"Mmm, that's delightful" Queen Anadel said before waving at Vahşi's direction. Neither of the opponents seemed to have quite the same definition of 'delightful' as the queen. The guard shoved his stinging hot end of his fired gun into the lupian's back to shove him into the arena. Vahşi winched at the heat but moved as directed. "Yesss, my little Love, do put up some good fight against the little-grown man. It would be an insult to your father if you lost."

The blonde hissed. Gritting his teeth as he dug his claw like fingernails into the wooden floor, digging into its thick surface. He looked at Vahşi with ferocity and life in his gold eyes.

"The bigger insult would be his own mother shooting him," Vahşi snapped back. He wished for a moment that he was surrounded by humans rather than Fenrisans, with bodies that broke and bled under claws and fangs. It was the dewanee, the wolf-madness, that the humans had harnessed in their assassins. It was something he was supposed to fight against, Farla had insisted. But Farla wasn't here, and Love was, and Vahşi was angry.

The wolf prince stared at Vahşi and gave a heavy sigh. The lupian's nose was taking in blasts of blood from the bullet wound. The ten foot man looked to be waiting for Vahşi to take the initiative and come to him. The crowd was cheering them on. They wanted them to fight, to bleed.

Vahşi didn't think he would be able to manage to get both himself and Love out of the arena alive. That had always been a problem Before, when lupians had been pitted against each other for human enjoyment or education. Eventually, one either made a mistake that got them killed or stopped caring. Vahşi stepped forward, circling around Love, looking for any weaknesses other than the obvious gunshot wound. A pool of blood began to come from the knee, bent onto the ground so the Fenrisan prince was on both knees. Thus his position was really weak because he would not spread his legs apart into a lower position, making him easy to tip over if Vahşi tried. But basic body mechanics also told Vahşi the man had way longer arms than him and if he wasn't fast enough could get clawed by the man.

Well, what's the worst that could happen? Vahşi thought to himself, eyeing the weakened prince. Imminent decapitation or the like, probably. Oh, fuck it all. Vahşi leaped forward, slipping into wolf form as he did so, and hoped he wasn't about to die. Going for it, Vahşi was oncoming to the alien wolf prince, the blonde's gold eyes never left the lupain as he was oncoming. The crowd was in gasping awe, clapping at Vahşi's magical transformation.

The wolf was small compared to the wolf man on his knees, teeth bared and lunging. But Love snatched him straight from the air with one of his massive hands, gritting his sharp teeth as Vahşi's teeth bit into his forearm. He roared when he shot his other hand up to snatch Vahşi wholly by his coat and slam him sideways onto the ground. Laying on top of Vahşi, the outer world was buried with screams and jeers of the few people in the bar. To the wolf-formed lupian, he felt some of his ribs bruise and his hip hurt from being slammed down so hard.

Heavy breathing entered his wolf ear, prince Love having put his strong well shaped lips up to the side of his skull. Vahşi noticed on one of the forearms pinning him down the same tattooed symbol marked on the spectating queen.

"The man with the gun is my friend. When I throw you at my mother, you kill her."

If the wolf-prince's friend had shot him, he wasn't exactly looking forward to meeting any of Love's enemies. "You got it," Vahşi said, growling the words out. He wasn't accustomed to speaking in his wolf form and the words were a little mumbled but the sentiment was clear. His body tensed in preparation of what may or may not be one of his last acts on earth.

"Crom carry you," Love said into Vahşi's ear before violently rolling his body and slinging Vahşi in the air like an easily lifted sack. Who the hell is Crom? Vahşi wanted to ask, but there wasn't exactly time for that. With the momentum of his roll the wolf man prince flung the black-furred wolf, Vahşi's sight heading straight to Queen Anadel who was still laughing and sipping more of her alcohol from her glass as she laid upon the wooden bar.

The collision of their bodies was awkward as the wolf smacked his head into her abdomen, causing her to scream and roll off the bar. Vahşi went down with her, the eccentric queen and scar-covered wolf spiraling down and crashing on the floor behind the bar from the spectators' view.

The wolf was underneath Queen Anadel, his lupine paws pushed up into her corset and breasts, her neck near his teeth. She smelled of her drink, of a wolf woman's lust, of soap and lingering blood. The beautiful auburn haired queen, the other being in the room to share the same symbol, looking down at Vahşi with a stupor of an expression. She was too drunk to take him seriously, the wolf after all was only half her size. Queen Anadel snorted, not aware of just how easy it would be for Vahşi to puncture her neck with his teeth should he wish to. But the phenomenons of her womanly wiles were starting to sway his judgment. He needed to make his choice quickly, or be taken in by a woman's primal call.

The crowed was gasping, feet moving hurriedly. But with tumultuous force a sudden stream of thunking gunfire began to pour out, silencing all other possible noise in its profanely loud scream of mowing death of those who were once scurrying.

The gunfire brought Vahşi back to his senses. He snarled at his own weakness and lunged up for the queen's throat. For now he was holding back the dewanee but he wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen if he was on a strange planet alone in wolf form with blood in his mouth. Panos was going to kill him if he made it through this.

Queen Anadel screamed with the toothy thrashing of her throat. Vahşi relentlessly took away from the woman's soft but strong neck, making it a meal of gore. His muzzle was soaked, the black fur glistening with her life force. The bloody bits fell out of his elongated mouth and her body rocked with the seizures of death, collapsing by his side when she had tried to push herself off of him. Vahşi didn't bother with the body. Even lupians in the grasp of the dewanee, or pushing the boundaries of it as Vahşi currently was, never touched the flesh of their own kind. Though he nosed at the queen's body to make sure she was dead he kept his mouth closed.

The rapping of bullets turned Vahşi's hearing into a high pitch numbness, hurting his skull. He growled in irritation, his ears flattening against his head. The scent of blood was overwhelmingly strong, as there were a plethora of sources filling his nostrils. His nose depicted a scene of desecration on the other side of the bar. Madness rising in his blood, but leashed by the wariness necessitated by an alien world, Vahşi moved back toward the arena. Love was standing in the middle of the ring, his friend the guard walking toward him. The floor was covered in bullet casings, bodies, and blood. Nobody seemed to be alive. Vahşi returned to his human form and approached Love, wiping the blood from his mouth on his forearm. "Guess this makes you the new ruler," he said casually to Love once he'd cleaned his face as best he could. "So where does this leave me and my friend?"

Prince Love slowly stared up at Vahşi.

"Not that easy," was all he said, his eyes showed how distraught he was. His world of inner emotional turmoil was so strong it was able to overcome his blown out knee. The man in the chunky armor had finally shoved aside the barrier of the 'arena' and now stared at both of them.

"We need to move," the man said. "Our brothers and sisters heard that."

"I know," Love said. The ten-foot-tall young man struggled to stand but managed to do so. He looked over Vahşi to the bar that kept the sight of his mother's corpse from his towering gaze. His lower lip quivered but his expression turned to stone. Turning, he looked at the hatch he had been pulled from. He finally registered Vahşi. "Friend? You're going to have to follow me or get gunned down," he told the smaller wolf-man matter-of-factly.

Vahşi's ears rang with the echos of the gunfire, making everything being taken in a strain for his mind as he had to focus past the sound to truly hear. His hip would heal within a few hours of a good nap, but it ached and his steps were clunky. Wounded and chased by angry people with guns, he though, an expression of disapproval flickering across his face. Just like old times. This episode better turn out better than the last few. He wiped the blood from his hands onto his pants and noticed the mark on his left hand was black again rather than a faded grey. He tilted his hand from side to side for a moment, looking it over, before following Love. Panos was with Kolton, who seemed fairly capable of keeping them safe. For now he had to think of himself first.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Wolfinal, Lemanian

Vahşi followed prince Love down the hatch and through the hidden door in the back of a closet within the stone hallways. The man was hobbling and bleeding terribly, but he said nothing. Not since he had crawled over to see his mother's body, and spent a minute with her before urging Vahşi to follow him. It was clear the man had loved her dearly.

Now they were in an even narrower stone wall, all the while Vahşi following a man whose symbol continued to tether at his senses, an important figure - somehow. The blonde hair he wore kept bobbing with his hobbles. He was sweaty and doing his best to not breathe loudly.

The smell of mildew, and wetness filled Vahşi's nose. The hallway was long, only lit by small, built-in, bulbous, yellow-tinged lights installed sparsely.

When Vahşi finally spoke, he did so quietly. "Love, where are we going? I'm under obligation to my friends to keep them safe and you're dragging me off alone in mysterious underground tunnels." Although Vahşi was sure Justice Kolton would do his best to defend Panos, on a planet like Wolfinal, Kolton wouldn't be able to do much if he was under serious attack. Vahşi had only a slightly better chance at defending them, but it was better than no advantage. His suspicions of Love's motives were an undertone to his words. Love took more steps before he spoke, his blown knee was a disaster to the eyes and nose, but he was going on still. The wolf-prince leaned on the wall with an arm.

"Your single option was coming with me. You were going to be gunned down if you stayed. My friend sacrificed himself for us." At this Love turned his face to look at Vahşi. "My father was the founder of our people, and everything has been shat on. For his legacy, and for Crom, I have to take the throne. My mother was warped somehow...and she was lost already. You gave her mercy and I am thankful for that. I need every hand for revolution."

"You don't have to thank me for that," Vahşi said. "No reason for me to not be merciful. And I'm not complaining about you saving me. But I still have an obligation. Whatever your plans are, I need to know where they leave me and my friends."

Love's golden eyes looked at the ground, carrying sorrow in his expression. Vahşi could easily speculate it was for the loss, the physical loss, of his mother. His knee wobbled and he looked back up to Vahşi.

"Your friends need safe keeping? My revolutionary pack can keep them secure underground." Weakly, Love gestured to the mildewy tunnel they were in now. "And you, I do not know where you come from, but I can smell your kinship. I know you can help us. I saw it in your eyes." Love turned his back to Vahşi, slowly pushing himself off the wall to keep going forward.

Vahşi waited for Love to get ahead of him a few steps before following. "Sometimes I think I don't know where I came from either. But if you need help - if you really want to make things better here - I can help you. Or at least do my best."

"Where are your friends?"

"I don't know. Justice Kolton might have taken Panos back to his ship, but it's more likely that they're still on the ground. There was a man called Jerk that they might have gone to, but I'm not sure." A smile twitched at Vahşi's lips and he added, "I should go with whoever you send to get them. Panos can be a little... difficult, when he's surprised or under pressure." It would have sounded much stranger to come out and say that Panos would probably grapevine somebody, but Vahşi wasn't sure what he said had sounded much better.

"A Justice is in Wofinal?" the wolf-prince asked with a bit of surprise, giving Vahşi a glance over his shoulder and pressing on. He said nothing more about it but the man made small sounds of thought to himself. "To get your friends would have to wait till nightfall. It's the only way my pack can get into the castle, and it is still dangerous then." His bad knee gave out for a moment and he stumbled but recovered quickly.

"I take it you don't often have Justices here," Vahşi said wryly. "It was his ship that picked up Panos and I from the last planet we were on." He wasn't particularly pleased with hearing that they'd have to wait until nightfall but he nodded in acceptance. "Will I be allowed to go with whoever you send?"

Love's head nodded in yes. Vahşi got his answer and followed on.

The intermittently lit tunnel finally started take a turn, a long undefined time of walking, another turn. It would have been easy to get lost in here if one did not have a sense of smell. The turns had options, each marked by different men, different scents marking the hallways. Love must have had the scents memorized because he would sniff once or twice and struggle to take himself down that chosen direction. The wolf-prince had quietly left a trail of his blood as their journey went on. His breathing finally turning into panting, but still made no comment about it.

The stone hallway they were in now had a strange inconsistency: there was a rectangular hole half its height in the wall. Love had to duck, Vahşi only had to walk, the top almost grazing the top of his head. It was a half jump down to another half level lower in this underground system.

After the short jump, they were in on the first of a series of small jumps down to a massive square room that must have been the base of their operations. The stone ceiling was at least sixty feet tall and sixty feet long, a warehouse-sized room that was littered with several dozen Fenris, whose sense were sharp. Despite Love's and Vahşi's distance, several were already looking toward them.

The room was chopped up into four sections with black metal shelves shaped like a plus in the center that almost extended out to each wall. This space cut in fours was the each made into small camps as Vahşi saw each section have large and small tents with barrels scattered about, a flame to make flickering blooms of light through the dark expanse.

The scents were various, many men, a few women. Definitely a lot of gunpowder and metal was picked up. Looking at the sets of jumps, Love did sigh before he took his first jump, landing on his legs with a silent shudder. He forced himself through the additional twelve jumps down till they were on the first floor and Love's Fenris came to swarm him. All were ranging in heights over Vahşi's head; he was easily the odd man out, as they were eight to nine and a half feet. They were dressed in more casual cotton garments of various state of cleanliness and sweatiness.

"Welcome him," Love whispered to the six people at his side, being helped off in one direction. An unbecoming young Fenris turned to Vahşi. He had none of the looks of Anadel or her children, and was certainly not comparable to Vahşi, Panos or Kolton. He was tall, but stocky and very hairy with black hair across his body and his arms. He looked nearly feral with how mangy he was, hair down to his shoulder unpleasantly and his face hyper-masculine to the point he look animalistic. He looked like he would be one hell of a fighter, however, wild and without reservation.

His gold eyes showed he wasn't a very controlled man, violent even.

"Welcome," the young man simply said, licking his lips as he looked down at Vahşi and scrutinized him. The others walked off with Love, looking concerned for their leader.

Vahşi had to look up to be able to look the other man in the eyes. "Thank you," he responded simply. It was obvious that the stranger was working with Love, but Vahşi wasn't sure how Fenrisian custom dictated he proceed. Deciding to proceed as he would have with a lupian from his own world, he added, "My name is Vahşi."

"Alf," he said, naming himself in return. He sniffed Vahşi's scent in one more time. "You have the queen's scent on you," he said with a slight lick of his lips in an unreadable, odd, expression.

"The queen requested audience with me when I landed on the planet," Vahşi explained. He didn't think coming right out and saying that he had murdered the queen would be the best way to go. Every revolution had spies in their ranks, it was just the way things went. Alf hadn't proved himself either way yet, and Vahşi was wary. The Fenrisian gave Vahşi a cautious side eye, as if thinking the same thing himself.

He waved his hand for Vahşi to follow, leading Vahşi through the massive stone room to the one of the quadrants where a small camp of tents was. They passed several barrels holding fires burning in their metal chambers. The lupian was taken to a tall tent that was square rather than triangular in shape. Going inside he saw rows of cots, with a tattered pattern of rugs, laid out to give the tent a much warmer floor than the stone.

Now Vahşi saw the women he had smelled. They were five of them, three of them young women and two of them older. They were tending to the children Fenrisian who were the only ones to be shorter than Vahşi. A young man sat with them in a wooden chair, legs spread. He had black hair like Alf, and they shared the same bulky nose, but this young man had better looking features and seemed more put together, beardless and hair kept close to the skull.

"Who's that, Alf?"

"Love's friend."

"He smells of the bitch." The young man crossed his arms defiantly as the women narrowed their eyes on him.

"Something 'bout planet," Alf said, licking his lips. The children giggled and were distracted by wooden toys, a small child being breastfed by a blonde in a rocking chair near the back of the large tent. This group of tall wolf-people looked at Vahşi to see what he would say.

Vahşi decided he'd have to explain things. "I'm from a different planet," he told them. "A Justice picked up my friend and I and brought us here, thinking I belonged under the jurisdiction of your ex-queen. She wanted to welcome me to Wolfinal by forcing Love and I to fight to the death." Might as well explain the rest of it. "Love convinced me to kill her instead." The metallic taste of blood washed across his mouth as he thought of the feel of the queen's throat between his fangs. He swallowed and pushed it away to the back of his mind. "Now I'm here, and if you're worried about me betraying Love, you don't have to be."

"He made the meanie queenie go away?" a small girl asked, sitting on the floor on her bent legs with a little horse in her hands.

The room had gone silent as the adults all looked at each other.

"You killed Queen Anadel?" the man of some relation to Alf asked in disbelief. He gestured to himself. "I am Alfonz. Alf's older brother, and Love's appointed protector of the women and children." He raised his nose up in charismatic exuberance in pride of his title. Indeed he had a bastard sword, which for their great height was much longer than usual, leaning against the chair and a black semi automatic gun of some sort on a wooden table by the chair.

The women shot looks at Alofonz.

"Goodbye,"Alf waved. He licked his lips and walked off. Alfonz narrowed his eyes and then looked at Vahşi with his golden eyes.

"My brother was born off," he explained quickly.

"It's no problem," Vahşi replied. "I've met many a stranger man."

The blonde breastfeeding from her ample, milk-filled chest stared. The baby enjoyed the breast out of the frill of her dress.

"You ended her life?" The women all still seemed in disbelief of Vahşi's claim. While they were indeed taller and probably stronger than Vahşi, it was still noteworthy that the women's physical bodies were still proportional to the men. They still looked softer and weaker than their male counterparts, even if they could slap Vahşi around senselessly. Though these feminine, dress-wearing women did not look trained in any combative way.

"Yes," Vahşi confirmed. He had a feeling this was going to become a pattern whenever he revealed his role in the overthrow. "She wasn't expecting it and I was a wolf. It wasn't much of a fight, but I got lucky. Considering the physical differences between us, I wouldn't have had much chance in an even fight. Without Love's help, it would have been impossible. We worked together and managed to do it."

"Hm," the blonde said, going back to rocking her baby and feeding contently. The two other women, fresh-faced in what Vahşi could guess was their version of early thirties or mid-twenties, giggled. Alfonz took a whiff soon after.

"Oh, that's nice," he said with a very small smirk. It soon after hit Vahşi. It was the pheromone Anadel had released. It was obvious the women of this wolf species had a firm control of the reproductive cycle through these silent cues. It made Vahşi feel a pleasurable tingle, an in innate understanding that these two women were fertile and healthy.

"That is impressive." The brunette was creamy complexioned, full hair to her shoulders with a generous chest. Her womanly scents of fertility were strong. The other woman was also very beautiful, a second blond with wavy hair down to her mid back in straight streaks, with a similar body type. They giggled again.

"What is your name?" the brunette asked.

"What has Love asked you to do now?" the blonde asked, golden eyes on him. Alfonz seemed content taking in the smells with a lopsided smirk on his face, tapping his foot slowly.

"My name is Vahşi," the lupian repeated. "As of now I have no assignment, but after nightfall I'll be accompanying a team of Love's warriors. I have two friends still on the surface of the planet. I owe them a rescue, especially if they're in trouble. Until then I have nothing to do, unless Love asks something of me."

The two women stared at each other and then looked at him again. The two older woman, both late middle age, narrowed their eyes on the young women. It was a look of annoyance.

"Maybe we can give you a tour..." The blonde suggested, though her tone of voice implied more than a tour.

"I'm sure the pleasure of your company would be better enjoyed once my friends are safe," Vahşi replied. He had no idea if this was customary or even allowed, and he hardly wanted to get (literally) caught with his pants down on a planet he had no chance of escaping from without help. On his own in the middle of a strongly armed camp of giants? Making one wrong step could easily be the end of his life, his role in killing the queen notwithstanding. Plus, he was fairly certain Panos would try to murder him for making out with one of the women, even if he was feeling a very strong desire to do so. Regardless of his thoughts, his body had its own ideas, but Vahşi did his best to keep his calm. Spurned, the two women looked away and went to the children, starting to play with them and giving Vahşi a cool shoulder.

Alfonz hummed and got up from his wooden chair, taking in a final primal whiff of the womanly ripe scents. He came closer to Vahşi, the gun put on his hip in one seamless motion. Alfonz's smirk came to quickly end when he was within arm's reach and put a hand on Vahşi's shoulder, the hight difference became all the more obvious side by side.

"You said you had friends...you are kind of diminutive" Alfonz spoke his words slowly, the young man's words surprised as if it had just come to hit his awareness. A lopsided smile came and went, he took in a whiff of Vahşi, as a Wolf he knew the man was trying to get information about him, the man wrinkled his nose a bit but said nothing about it. "Those friends of yours?" Alfonz prompted, leaving the women and children be.

"One is a travelling companion of mine," Vahşi explained, mindful of just how much he was going to share but knowing better than to refuse all information. "The other is more of a friend of my friend than one of my own. He's an acquaintance at best, but it was his ship that brought us here." Although there was probably another way for him to describe Panos and Kolton, that was the most accurate thing he could come up with that didn't require more complicated explanations. Even Vahşi didn't really know everything behind the reasons he'd come to be here in the first place.

Alfonz stared at Vahşi but pulled away and turned his view slightly to the women and children.

"The leader wants you here, you're welcome. Probably want to stay until he calls for you. Until then, got any good war stories? You look like a man whose been around the field."

"Yeah," Vahşi agreed. "I've had a few interesting calls." Alfonz seemed interested, so Vahşi started talking about a random encounter. He wasn't sure if it was one he'd been in or not, but the words came easily and he was familiar with them for some reason.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

*Trigger warning for allusions of sexual abuse.

Wolfinal, Lemanian

Alfonz kept Vahşi company, the women keeping their away in the tent; apparently Fenrisian women did not find it arousing to peruse a resistant mate. It hadn't taken long for the fertile females' smells to wither away while Alfonz continued to listen to Vahşi's words with curiosity. He would obnoxiously lean forward on the table and rub his hands back and forth against the wood to keep himself occupied while Vahşi went on.

His mentally deficient brother, Alf continued to frequently visit at intervals no longer than a half hour or at times even sooner. He lamented repeatedly that Prince Love's health was improving and he was healing from the gunshot. Alfonz did not seem bothered by Alf's constant visits, each time they greeted another in the same exact same way.

Alfonz kept trying to pry deeper into Vahşi with questions about his past, curiosity deep in his golden eyes. The lupian didn't go into too much detail but figured it was hardly a good idea to refuse to tell Alfonz anything. He mostly spoke about the more militant parts of his life, when he'd been fighting for some cause or other. Vahşi's internal sense of time was not well attuned to being underground, but gradually the women were beginning to yawn and the children cranky. Both men were kicked out with Alfonz giving the women a deep bow before closing the tent behind him. He stood attentively at the flaps while they stood and talked. Alfonz shared with Vahşi about planet Fenris and how the Xanael were perverse magicians that had somehow weaseled their way in and ruined this place from the inside out.

From what Vahşi remembered, that was through the Queen. Alfonz said she had once been a strong fighter on the inter planet battle, fought with her husband King Leonel using guerrilla tactics. She had been dubbed the 'Ambusher'.

The young man rubbed the back of his head, yawning after he had finished sharing some of the brighter days of the capital. The lupian could smell Love and others approaching and when he turned around he saw Love now in similar bulky battle armor.

His Fenrisan eyes stared at the two of them before the tent. He extended his arm out, the thick black rifle for Vahşi to take. The lupian took it, checking for a safety and what position it was in, before snugging the end of the stock against his shoulder, angling the barrel toward the ground. Guns had always been a human construct rather than a lupian one, but he'd learned to use one early in the days of the conflict on his home world. It was suicide to try to attack gunmen with weapons lesser than the ones they held.

"I cannot promise your friends will be unharmed, but I will promise the honor of attempting to save them. May Father watch over us." He said gravely, the seven men behind him nodded slowly. Alfonz had become uncharacteristically silent around the prince, keeping his head low in some sign of respect.

"I cannot ask for any promises as to their safety," Vahşi agreed. "But thank you for agreeing to try to rescue them." He wasn't all too sure himself that they would find either Panos or Justice Kolton alive, but so far Panos was the only person that had any idea what the marks on Vahşi's skin meant. And besides, the guy hadn't even wanted to come along, not that Vahşi had had any choice himself. This probably counted as kidnapping in a way, the way he'd gotten stuck with Panos, even though he didn't particularly care.

Love shifted where he stood. Vahşi's gaze moved to him, instantly on the alert for some kind of order or action.

"Tunnels are going to lead us through till one block before the castle. I will make sure you get in, from there you need to find your friends by yourself." Vahşi nodded in agreement. "When," the blonde lowered his eyes and cleared his throat, "I take the throne, I will look for you to assist." He gave a commanding gaze to Alfonz. "Get this man oatmeal, it will make for a shit last meal, but it might also be the thing to keep you alive."

Vahşi knew firsthand that that was very likely true. While oatmeal wasn't the best last meal he could have asked for, it was definitely better than nothing. It didn't take long for him to eat and then they were on their way.

Traversing through the tunnels beneath the city the lights had been dangerously irregular - black patches of hallway for many steps. But Vahşi simply had to follow the eight men stepping with hard metal steps against the tan stone bricks. None of them had been talkative, Love taking the charge. Vahşi could increasingly feel himself getting closer to Panos, his senses smelling more of the world above as they used ladders to rise levels in this underneath world. The air was cool, Vahşi could smell it through the different floral smells that the daytime had, more grassy.

Shoving the sewer lid off, moonlight and chill shot down onto all of them. The leader of the pack grabbed the dark metal of the ladder. Together the pack took a whiff, Love paused. Vahşi tensed slightly, wondering what was wrong. He couldn't sense anything out of the ordinary but he wasn't at all used to this planet so that didn't say much.

"No one at the gates," he said morosely. Vahşi hardly found that to be a problem but he said nothing..

"That wouldn't happen," a man said skeptically but sniffed again. Even Vahşi couldn't smell any odors to belong to the Fenrisians.

Another man rolled his shoulders, the rest shared glances. The tall blonde gritted his teeth and began to climb. Vahşi followed him, using his heightened senses to search for any potential danger.

Diving through the cracks of the masonry buildings, the men huddled to the rough walls, in their vision was the gloomy castle with its double doors slightly open and no one attending. Love narrowed his eyes, thinking deeply.

"Is something wrong?" Vahşi asked, keeping his voice quiet. In the gleam of moonlight, the city of Wolfinal surrounding the castle was eerily silent, all surfaces drowned in a blue hue of night light.

The prince stared seconds longer before responding.

"My brother wouldn't be so stupid," Love told Vahşi, raising his gun. He gestured them forward, away from the ally of two homes to begin crossing the masonry street. While the men tried their best to be quiet and calculated, metal against brick was still audible for all of them - the lupian races had sharp hearing. It created a tension, nearing the double doors and knowing full well that any within the entrance hallway would hear them. Vahşi made sure the safety of his rifle was off and stepped off to the side of the group so he could bring his rifle up. If anyone came out from the doors he'd have a shot at them without a member of the group getting in the crossfire.

However, the nearer to the metal doors they came - new scents were birthing in their nasal cavities: first was blood and plenty of it, the second was a delicate flowery scent that held within its perfume a springy kick. Like spring, elegant and drawing.

The men paused before pushing the doors open, no footsteps. Whiffing the eight men looked at each other, compelled to continue to experience this blood soaked drenched smell of bliss. Vahşi searched the area he could see, looking for enemies, and saw nothing. That didn't mean much since he was so much shorter than the others but his nose was more accurate than his other senses and he still suspected nothing. With all the blood, though, it was hard to know for sure.

"It is beautiful..." One of the other seven remarked, closing his eyes to filter out his other senses - reaching for it past the gouging amounts of blood hanging onto the scent.

"It is not Lemanian..." Love said hesitatingly, but smelling again himself, raising his nose towards the doors. Vahşi knew all too well what smell that was, beyond the layers of blood which he could confirm wasn't from the person of suspect, the scent was Panos'. The blood must have been spilt Fenrisan.

"It's one of my friends," Vahşi cut in. Hopefully Panos would still be alive, although with all the blood he could smell, Panos was very likely wounded. Sidestepping around one of the Fenrisans, he took a cautious step, easing forward a little at a time but staying quiet. He knew better than to call out when he didn't know what was in store for them. From the bond Vahşi shared with Panos and his companions somewhere off in this galaxy, he could feel Panos was above him, the second floor and somewhere to the right.

Stepping in the castle, he slid between the parted metal doors, as they were too large and too loud to move. His vision was greeted with a castle guard laying down the hall on the right, dead. The smell of Panos was both down the right and left hall - but, the smell of Prince Jerk was down the left hall. But without knowing the layout more than what he had seen before of this square castle, it was also going to be a guess where the access of the stairs would be.

The Fenrisans came in after Vahşi.

"Another coup?" One of the men asked stupefied, staring at the corpse.

Love growled.

"No one else would stand against the crown, this is shit." He looked left, sniffing. "My brother." The blonde man spat, raising his hand he gestured down the left, his men going in formation. He gave Vahşi a final look. "I will pray for your friend," he said softly, whiffing in the air and going down the direction.

"Thank you," Vahşi replied. He wasn't much of a religious person but he figured Love was only trying to be nice. Since Love and his men were going toward the left, Vahşi took the right-hand corridor. Between not knowing what was ahead of him and being on his own, he kept the rifle up and ready for action. Without the knowledge of the castle's layout he could only hope that he found some way of getting to the second floor before anything happened to Panos.

Vahşi stalking down the former queen's halls, he was able to focus past the scratch marks that marred the walls. Blood hadn't been seen down the length of the right hall, nor were there any doors. He had no choice but to go forward down the narrow, red carpeted walkaway. When the first turn came, a left, the blood struck again.

More corpses, more of the men that should have been attentive at their posts. They were in various states of armor, one of the three bodies naked in nothing but the lower legging and footwear of the bulky armor that was scattered bout. In their hands were Panos' vines and gently glowing grapes, their dead expressions happy or maddening depending on how wide the smiles were, froze expressions. Panos' scent perfumed this hall, but it was a tease - the vines smelled exactly like him. In reality the bond showed Panos to be above him.

Vahşi didn't understand the expressions on the corpses' faces, but he wasn't about to go poking among the bodies to check things out. Panos had obviously killed them, or at least his vines had, so he kept moving on. They could deal with the bodies later, in whatever way Love's people were accustomed to dealing with the bodies of their dead.

To the right, past the corpses among the royal home was a spiral staircase going up, straight ahead would vaguely be what led him to either the throne or the courtyard - assuming his memory was correct. Vahşi went up it, keeping his gun at the ready in case something happened.

Oddly, as he narrowed himself to the stairs a whiff of Justice Kolton's blood from down the hallway came and went, and as he traveled up the steps his sensitive hearing began to pick up maniacal laughter of at least four different male voices. Their words were nonsensical, delirious with ever shifting pitches and howls of pleasure. They were in constant motion, the shifting sounds of metal and cloth. Vahşi paused for a moment, trying to figure out what was happening, but no explanation came to mind so he continued, albeit with more caution than before. Even though he was probably closing in on Panos, the fact that there were other voices that apparently belonged to insane people was not very comforting.

Ending the small spiral up, from the doorway he saw the entire hall these men had been through was littered with broken glass and Panos' vines. Shards and grapes lined with irregular fragments of what may have once been dishware lingered between the Fenrisan men's feet. But they seemed so oblivious, so joyous, that even as one of the men twirled around in the nude, his feet having light cuts, none of them stopped. Guns were in their hands, but they had become more like toys than anything else. Beyond them, past a redwood square door, Vahşi felt Panos' presence, and his scent was strong now. The men were too loud, blocking any sound he may have gotten from the room.

Vahşi had to stop and stare. Of all the strange things that he had seen, this was by far the strangest. He kept his rifle at the ready but otherwise he was completely caught off guard by the sight. It was obvious that Panos was in the room behind him, so Vahşi readied his rifle and started walking through the hall, intent on getting through the hall even if he had to shoot his way to the door. His steps were cautious, when he approached them, the functionless group, he paused - nothing happened. They trotted slowly, one in circles, the other three in back and forth lines.

Sickly, their chuckles, smiles, and laughs made an off putting display of happiness tipped over the extreme, pouring out to levels of the unnatural - golden eyes glazed over with joy. Vahşi had no idea what had happened to him but hoped he would run into no more of it. Gore and torture he could deal with, but unnatural happiness was something he had absolutely no experience with. He didn't like being faced with things he didn't know how to handle.

Shoving one aside, the tall man simply slumped down the wall in his battle suit, Vahşi stopped just before the door. Another feminine smell came into his nose - a female Fenrisian was inside and he could smell her blood to be heavily split as it came in a wave of sensation. The smells of musk - sex, merged disgustingly only starting to paint a very grim picture. There was also a man, a strong Fenrisan man inside. His scents were similar to Prince Jerk's, but not exact.

"Come inside, I have a gun aimed at the lovely non-lady's head." A jovial and low voice teased Vahşi as he stood outside the door.

Vahşi had only an incomplete idea of what had happened in the room, but he was sure that Panos had managed to get himself into a hell of a lot of trouble. Where had Kolton been during all of this? Dead or imprisoned, Vahşi guessed, although it was totally possible that he'd run and gotten himself back to his ship so he could flee the system. He wasn't quite sure he actually wanted to go into the room, but he double-checked the safety of his rifle and stepped inside, keeping his rifle at the ready.

As the door creaked open, the smells only hit harder in a flowery ill that cocooned his nose. There was so much tragedy and moral depravity within the room it was hard to pinpoint a single location of where to look. A beautiful bedroom consisting a generously sized fur covered bed was giving comfort to the woman adorned in a white nightgown. She was certainly one of Anadel’s children, nearly having her face – a little more masculine brow line, laid with her arms and long auburn hair flaied out in what looked to be the ends of a struggle far too done for Vahşi to attempt to change.

She was dead. The white nightgown dyed in layers of red from the center of the chest and bled out in a large circle each direction. Her Fenrisan eyes hadn’t been shut, the young moon shaped face was void of any peace in death. Tears stained her pale cheeks. Vahşi's gaze only lingered on her body a moment past the moment he realized she was dead. The purpose and manner of his death didn't matter to him, since he couldn't do anything about it, but he should probably tell Love about what had happened here.

The weapon that must have been the thing to take her life was now within the hands of a massively tall Fenerisan man. Anadel’s pack was a good looking sort, this man with long red wavy hair all the way to his mid back, it was thick and masculine as waves were folded over to a side and strands fell down in front of his face. His cloth vest was a mess, gray and half unbuttoned to reveal his strong body – a massive man of eleven feet of height, Vahşi calculated. His pants looked hastily put back on as the dark cotton breeches were not tied properly, but he stood confidently with a long meat cutting knife. His golden eyes were reminiscent of the queen’s: the same detached mischievousness but his burned with mania as his pupils were strikingly small, beady and honed wildly. He was very much there while his mother had never been, he was in this moment wildly, breathing heavily and on the verge of laughter. Vahşi instantly knew that he was going to be trouble, especially if he lost his rifle.

In his other hand a nearly grape-barren vine was held in his hand with shaking gravitas.

“I…am…greater than all the gods! The God-King will be meeeeeee!” He hissed, teeth bared and hungry. Vahşi had no idea how to respond to that. He was, however, completely certain at this point that the Fenrisan was crazy.

Then there was Panos, behind this man. The change of several hours had been drastic, he was now wearing a sky blue corset dress that would have seamlessly made his image the same womanly visage Vahşi had seen him with when he first laid his eyes on him had it not been so raggedly torn to the point one half of the chest was peeled to show the boy’s flat chest. He, and the dress, were ravaged, many of the blue ribbons tied on its frill layers around the legs were scattered over the floor, claw marks took many of those frills away and underneath Panos was a small pool of blood – surely his. His legs were drawn close, crossing, small feet curled – arms were held up by chains and cuffs that were too short for him to let them down. His pale skin was stamped with bruises down his forearms, wrists, across his collarbones.

Panos was silent, his head down so his exotic balanced hair hid much of his face. His shoulders quaked weakly with obvious misery. Vahşi figured that as long as he wasn't dead, there was a chance of them getting out of here alive. Or at least mostly alive. Panos was obviously injured and scared, so Vahşi didn't think he'd be any help at all as far as taking down the Fenrisan went, but it was better than finding him dead.

The man raised the vine to eat a grape, rolling his eyes back and humming sweetly with every succulent chew.

He did not have a gun as he had proclaimed.

Vahşi knew how to handle crazy people who potentially wanted to kill him. Facing such a person who had a friend of his captive, well, that was an entirely new scenario. He hadn't been very interested in getting friends throughout his lifetime, with the notable exception of Farla. Panos was weaker than any of the people Vahşi had fought alongside before, and that did nothing to help either of them. "Where did Kolton go, Panos?" he asked, keeping both eyes and his rifle on the Fenrisan. "Is he still on the planet?" All instincts told him to just kill the taller man and be done with it, but he needed to know if he had to get someone else out of trouble, and Panos had never been particularly coherent after watching Vahşi murder someone.

The Lambros shuddered at the mention of his name, but any response greater did not seem possible for him now. Vahşi probably shouldn't have expected anything else but it would have been helpful if Panos had been capable of giving him more information.The Fenrisan however smiled his fangs at Vahşi and answered with, "Unfortunately his wings were plucked". As far as the lupian was concerned, that meant he was dead or as good as. The meat cutting knife was quickly raised, commanding presence several feet in the air above the wolf man.

Vahşi instantly fired, a bullet striking the Fenrisan in the shoulder before the bullets swept up to mar his throat and face. The bloody mess and screaming thunder of his rifle came together in a fit of death, knocking over the tower of eleven foot tall flesh. The red headed wolf man fell face first upon the bedroom floor. The body never let go of the vine clutched in its fist. He paused for a moment, alert and wary, before dropping the angle of the weapon's barrel toward the floor and approaching Panos. Since he was wearing what amounted to half a dress, Vahşi figured he'd have to find something for him to wear, but given the height of the planet's native population, it was probably going to end up literally being the shirt off Vahşi's back. Now that there was no immediate threat presented, Vahşi's focus turned to the chains. "I'm going to get these off you and then we're going to leave. If something happens you need to find Love and tell him you're the friend I was here to rescue." He rather doubted that any of this was getting through to Panos, so he flipped the safety of the rifle on in case of accidents and leaned it against the wall before reaching to finger the chains.

Panos' vision was blurring white and searing bright, turbulent between the forms of chaos taking his mind. He felt nearly non-existent, nothing. The cold of the cuffs was gone, the heat of his innards that had been forced open was gone, the sound of his own cries and yells to stop had been gone for some time already. Everything was no longer with him - his body was gone to him.

"...Shame..." Panos' voice weakly whispered, a taunting of consciousness and an unveiling of a dead soul trapped inside a body stripped of dignity. Vahşi was able to twist the locks of the cuffs, Panos' hands crashing to the ground. Slowly they raised to hold himself across his bruised and half exposed chest. His skin was sweating, legs pulling in even more, turning his body into a shrinking vessel of suffering.

Everything was freezing, but nothing was cold. His brain was dreadfully exhausted...it couldn't...wouldn't...tell Panos what happened. But it was replaying so vividly, that his mind also seemed unable to tell him that it was over.

Panos reeked of the man's sexual emissions and the blood under Panos was of both a dried and wet texture.

Vahşi picked the rifle back up and flipped the safety off. Since Panos wasn't chained up any more, the lupian's common sense told him they should be getting out of here, but Panos was hardly in any state to walk out the door with him. He checked the room over again before searching through the wardrobe for something small enough to fit Panos. Nothing showed itself so he went back to his original plan. Leaving the rifle on the bed, Vahşi pulled his shirt off and went back over to Panos and crouched down next to him. "You need to get changed and then we need to leave," he told him. "The sooner we get out of here, the sooner I can get you somewhere nobody can hurt you." As he extended his hand, he felt a tingle of his forearm. Giving it a glance he saw the symbol that had once been on Queen Anadel and on Prince Love's, and his own hand was now placed near the bottom of the forearm. Mercury, Venus, Mars and now Cronus, so Panos had called it.

Even in his state, the Lambros was forced to look at the call of the symbol finding its way on his forearm, pulling it away from his torso just for a moment before embracing himself again. Panos turning his head cautiously Vahşi's direction, his sapphires gracefully broken, red and raining without a cringing wrinkle of ugliness to sully his face. But his gaze was pained.

Panos had the anger towards Vahşi fucked out of him hours ago, now when he saw this man he saw only the fact that this had truly happened and it was not a painful dream. He would want death now if he had confidence the river would take his soul...but this...the gods...did the gods...did they...?

"...The pain..."

"I know it hurts," Vahşi agreed. "But the fact that you're still here means that you were stronger than anything he did to you. As long as you're alive, there's hope for something better. No matter what happens there will be someone who will take care of you. Right now that's gonna be me. Are you okay with me helping you get changed?" He really didn't want to startle Panos in his current condition and get grapevined again, but they really did need to get moving. Vahşi was hardly equipped to be a caregiver, but there was doubtless someone who could help Panos more than he could back at Love's camp. The youth's level of physical and psychological shock didn't seem to allow Panos to process the question. He shivered and stared at Vahşi.

Coming from down the hall the lupian did not need super hearing to hear the blast of bolt gun firing that must have killed the crazy men in the hallway - bodies dropping echoing. Because of the rank and pleasant smells coming from Panos and the room it was impossible to use his nose to figure out the gunman.

Vahşi paused just long enough to realize he couldn't figure out who was out there. He immediately got up, leaving his shirt next to Panos, and snatched the rifle up from the bed, checking to make sure the safety was off and moving between Panos and the door. The other was obviously in no position to be of any help or do anything so whatever happened next was going to be up to Vahşi. Given the situation he was more than happy to shoot whoever came through the door if he didn't recognize them, but he hoped it would be Kolton or one of Love's men, although he doubted it. He was in luck, hopefully, as who came through the door was indeed one of Love's men.

The man took the scene in absolute horror.

"Princess Talia....Prince Erlingur..." The Fenrisan whiffed the air and stared at Vahşi and Panos behind. Clearly he did not know what to make of the situation, blood coating much of the room from bed to floor. But he eventually glared at the vine in the redhead's dead hand and then looked at Panos again. "The witch got what she deserved," he said harshly to Panos, giving Vahşi a questioning glare and turning. "If that is your friend, it is going to be better if you leave sooner than later," he said and walked out of the room.

Vahşi didn't respond to anything the Fenrisan said. If it weren't for the fact that both his and Panos's lives depended on staying in Love's good graces, he would have been sorely tempted to shoot the other for his words. As it was he let it go, guessing they'd be out of here without much delay, whether it was on their own or because of the symbols on their arms.

"Panos, we've got to go," Vahşi said, leaning the rifle against the wall. "I'm going to help you get changed." Truth be told, he'd probably be doing all the work, but at the moment he didn't want to risk setting Panos off and getting hurt. The Fenrisans didn't seem very inclined to treat Panos nicely, if the one that had just left was any indication. He carefully put a hand on Panos' shoulder so he could turn him around to get a better idea of how the dress was supposed to come off.
    The prince flinched at Vahşi's touched and stared at him with a jolting gaze of fear - silence between them.

Vahşi felt a little guilty at scaring Panos like that, but they did need to be on the move. "I'm not going to hurt you," he told him quietly, trying to not look directly into his eyes. While he was mostly oblivious about how he was supposed to handle a trauma victim, he knew instinctively that taking an obviously dominant role and posture wouldn't help things. He tried to touch Panos as little as he could as he untied the back of the dress. Black lacing was carefully plucked, the joined ends of the corset slowly coming undone from the top down. Spreading apart, sheen covered pale skin was being revealed, slipping down the shoulders.

Every inch gained of taking off the garment made Panos' body more engrossed with goosebumps - as if Panos was expecting impending doom once it was taken off him. Vahşi could tell the Lambros was uncomfortable with what was happening, but they didn't have many other options. If he stayed in the dress he was going to get more strange looks, and it would probably be an invitation to the looser of Love's men to try the same. While the lupian was always up for a fight, he'd rather not have to go up against a company of Fenrisans considering their superior size and strength. Eventually he was a step away from getting the dress untied. Naked, Panos was left exposed to Vahşi seeing what the sum total of what happened to him. Panos continued hiding his body, legs and arms crossed, his shaking view stared at Vahşi. The lupian could see he was starting to fall in and out of consciousness.

"I...scared..." Panos whispered, his mind could not endure surrendering its awareness, the blackness was creeping in to take him away from the troubles of his physical self.

"Yeah, that'll be hard to get through," Vahşi said. "But you're gonna make it." He pulled the shirt over Panos' head and started searching around for some kind of pants that would fit him. Ideally he'd be able to find the Lambros' old clothes somewhere, but that hardly seemed possible so he started looking through the dresser nearby. Filled inside were finely stitched long-johns, cotton under layers and other button ups. The room must have belonged to one of the prince's, presumably the one dead and full of bullets on the floor.

The dead Fenrisian's equally dead sister must have been over eight feet tall herself, making her bloody nightgown ill fit as well. Though Vahşi was able to find raw fabrics on the bottom layer of the dresser. Where Panos' robe might have been, clearly wasn't going to be discovered.

As the lupian was shifting through the dresser he heard a thud, turning he saw Panos fall over on his side - modesty kept by his limbs, unconscious on the floor. Vahşi sighed at how much harder things had just gotten, but there wasn't much he could do about it since Panos was already out cold on the floor. He grabbed a couple pieces of fabric after sorting through them for the plainest ones that would be long enough, and went back over to Panos. With no other options, he'd have to tie one around Panos' waist. Going around half-naked was not an option, especially given what had just happened. Vahşi just hoped that Panos wasn't going to come to halfway through Vahşi dressing him and try to murder him. The lupine was swift, getting the white silk fabric dressed around Panos waist. But as long as Vahşi lingered in his room his senses would be surrounded by death and savagery.

While Vahşi was no stranger to being in bloody surroundings such as his current ones, he needed to get Panos out of there. He had very little idea of what had happened in the room as far as specifics went, but he'd gotten the bigger picture easily. Justice Kolton's ship undoubtedly had some kind of medical bay on it, so that was where he needed to take Panos, and as quickly as possible. The longer they stayed on the planet, the more they risked running into one of Love's men, or the prince himself. He managed to get Panos off the floor and over his shoulder without hurting him, and he adjusted his grip to make sure he wouldn't fall before leaving the room.

The hallway was littered with the men Vahşi had seen before - dead. Their deaths looked carefully calculated as their bullet wounds had been through the skull and their bodies shoved to the side of the hall to clear the walkway. The vines that had been with them were taken. Vahşi was highly suspicious of that, but had no desire to stick around and figure things out. He guessed it was Love's soldier that had killed the men, which he had no problem with as he'd likely have had to do it himself to get Panos out. The fact that the vines were missing worried him slightly, but he didn't think the Fenrisians would be able to do anything with them.

Coming back down the stairs, Vahşi's nose flared with Justice Kolton's blood in the far distance of the hall, down the direction he hadn't been since entering the castle a second time. The smell of Love's men and the man himself marked the hallway. When Vahşi had taken his final step down the windy decent and out to the hallway there was on one to guide him. He had to choose: go out of the castle with Panos and figure it out himself - only knowing where the winged golden ship of the Valkyrie was, or, go to the men who seemed most likely to maim or harm Panos as he seemed to have a strange connection to the things that happened to the men of this castle.

Vahşi hesitated, glancing down the hall toward the scent of Love and his men. While he hardly needed to anger the new ruler of the planet, he'd have a lot to answer for if Panos got hurt. Huffing in irritation, he hefted Panos into a slightly more comfortable position over his shoulder and started toward the last place he'd seen Justice Kolton's ship. Although he didn't know if it was still there, at the moment it was his only chance of getting off-planet.

Going back through the capitol was a vast experience apart from the one before. Word must have spread about the change of power because the populace had come out in jubilation. Vahşi's ears hummed with ringing through the collage of cheering - a great deal of the population had come out of their solemn homes to fill the walkways, dance and pass bottles of alcohol. The spirit of revolution swept fast within the castle-watched city.

While Vahşi was trying to make it back to the gates with wounded Panos over his shoulder, an assault bolter rifle in his other hand in primal leather armor - he was bound to get looks. The mix of blood and flowery scents first drew in random people among the main channel that led from the castle straight to the gates. They stared hard - unsure what to make of it, deciding if to intervene or not.

For most, Vahşi was able to simply walk through, being such a small man he now had a presence among them and was able to part them by his being's attendance alone. The smells of perfumed blood drawing people's eyes but repulsing them from him.

He walked through the crowds of towering wolfish gentry for over a half hour - seeing the Justice's bird-like ship still sitting on a landing pad atop the gates when drunken men came over with their suit jackets half undone and their faces sheepish. Vahşi had almost thought that he'd be able to get through the crowd without issue, but it didn't seem like that was going to happen now.

"What do you have there with you? Who's she?" The pack of three, eight foot men were laying against the steps against the gate - with the city wide crowd only a few feet behind Vahşi. His nose told him that these were men from Love's hidden base below as he could smell the tunnels off of them. If it weren't for Panos with him, he'd have been more than happy to make a break for it, but with an unconscious person over his shoulder, that was not the way to do things.

"Love gave me permission to get my friend," Vahşi said. "This is her. She got hurt inside the palace and I'm taking her to the ship that brought her here. It has the kind of medical equipment that she needs." The men raised metal cups of alcohol in their own individual paces to their mouths to swallow gradually.

"She smells really good." The Fenrisian tracing his fingers along the stone and closest to the starting of the steps said with a slow drawn out tone of his voice. If there was anything that Vahşi was not in the mood for, it was a couple of Love's men looking for trouble. On his own he would be fine, but with Panos as dead weight, he didn't want a fight.

"Smells as if something happened to her." The middle one adjusted his collar and stared at Vahşi. Now that he lingered in one spot longer than passing the scents of blood and fading semen must have reached their noses. "You have a funny way of treating your friends." The taller wolf man licked his lips and narrowed his eyes aggressively. "I do not think Love would appreciate that kind of treatment and this is his kingdom now."

"I wasn't the one that did it to her," Vahşi defended himself. "She was like this when I found her in the palace." Things would be so much easier if it was just one Fenrisian. He would have been able to dump Panos on the ground long enough to kill the taller one or knock him out. With three facing him, though, he didn't have much chance of doing that. Vahşi was stared at long and hard by the men, holding against Vahşi's strong stance till finally the man in the middle looked at him with disgust and walked off. The other two noticed his leaving and quickly followed him away.

Vahşi gave a sigh of relief and moved on as quickly as he could. Panos didn't seem to have had any difference in his condition since the two of them had left the palace, but that didn't really mean anything since the Lambros was still unconscious.

When Vahşi stepped up to before the golden winged space vessel, a golden ray emerged from an eye shaped metal hole that had shown itself from the bottom of the ship's tail end. The end result became the gradual letting down of the stairs that led back into the ship. The lupian entered and the steps closed behind him, slowly sliding up with a quiet hiss and thudding of rejoining metal. Remembering the right room was the bedroom, Vahşi walked up the small three steps and down the white hall on the right side of the entrance to enter the new room.

On the left side was a white lit table with a golden panel attached to it, the table against the wall and caved in by golden cabinets that appeared handle-less. Their expanse the length of the wall with their square shape of various sizes. On the right were surface areas and furnishings for cooking.

'Charges of the Justice are welcome to emergency equipment.' A female robot voice came from above, several squares on the left glowing a neon vibrant gold. 'Justice Kolton's status remains critical. Emergency flight to Valkure will embark soon.'

Vahşi had no idea what or where Valkure was, but if they got off the Wolfinal, they probably wouldn't end up anywhere more dangerous. Kolton had seemed to be part of some kind of peacekeeping initiative, so while Vahşi was hardly a candidate for a peaceful life, they should at least be able to get help for Panos. "Did you say Justice Kolton is alive?" he asked, depositing Panos' body on the table with the golden panel. Unfamiliar with medbays though he was, it looked like his best bet. Panos' weight on the table provoked another scan, this one going over Panos' body. Red flashes appeared on the panel and it spoke of deep hemorrhaging and signs of blunt trauma in golden - blocky letters.

'Yes. Justice Kolton is currently experiencing the conditions of: severe blood loss, and undetermined limb detachment. 'Undetermined' sounded sketchy to Vahşi, but this was hardly the time to get into a discussion about it. 'His critical status has been alerted to all Justices. Please give patient feeding tubes of fluids.'

Some of the boxes lit up brightly, indicating which ones he should touch. Vahşi really hoped that he wasn't expected to figure out what he was supposed to choose. That was far outside his skill set. Fortunately the boxes opened on their own and displayed versions of IV bags.

'I will guide you though the steps to help the patient, we are beginning flight.'

Vahşi could feel the ship begin to move as the followed the voice's instructions. A couple times he had to wait for the ship's movement to stabilize before he could continue with his work on Panos. Eventually the movement evened out and a mechanical voice announced that they had left the planet's orbit and the time it would take to get them to Valkure.
    Last edited by Minkasha; 02-05-2016 at 02:41 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

As Cal turned the pages of the zodiac book, Gina couldn't help but notice that the younger girl flinched and flexed her hand.

"Are you alright?" she asked, putting down her fork.

Cal flushed, looking down at her scorched palm. "When I was cooking..." she responded, her voice low, "I didn't know about the box with the fire inside. It burned me."

"You twit." Gina said, the corners of her mouth tugging upwards. Then she frowned. "Let me see."

She hmm'd as she looked at the slightly reddened skin on Cal's palm.

"It doesn't look too bad." she said after a moment, "Come on, let's get it under some cold water."

She trotted back through to the kitchen and ran the tap, letting Cal hold her hand under it while she refilled the wide, shallow bowl they had previously been using to clean Cal's bruise.

"How did you manage that anyway?" she asked.

"Well I couldn't just ask them how it worked!" Cal retorted, a little defensively.

Gina caught herself. "True." she admitted. "Sorry. I forgot that maybe you don't have kitchen hobs in Serroc..."

"Hobs?" Cal glanced at the box again. So that's what it's called. She shook her head. "No. How do they get the fire inside it? How do they keep it burning, with no way to put wood inside?"

"It's electric." Gina replied.

Silence.

"Ah." Gina said, and wondered how best to explain it. I probably should have guessed after she didn't know what a phone was. Crap, I never did like physics. "Er...the same stuff as lightning, just less powerful. It flows through a coil underneath the ring and heats it up."

She looked at Cal's hand again before letting her immerse it in the bowl. "It'll sting for a while, but hopefully it won't blister up too much. We could try putting that cream the cat-lady gave us on it?"

"Good idea." Cal smiled, then frowned thoughtfully. "These cat-people - they're strange, aren't they? The kittens are, anyway. They seemed suspicious, when I burned my hand. But then the next moment, they were fine, happy again."

"I expect they trust you." Gina offered.

The princess gave a disappointed sigh. "I don't think I'm very good at this nurturer business. I tried to find out something more about why we're here, but I guess they're not used to their carer asking them so many questions. They know you two, though," She gestured with her dry, unburned hand, in the direction of the next room where Manisha still sat. "But I don't know why, or who you're supposed to be."

"I think we should look for mine and Manisha's houses next." Gina said, leaning up against the kitchen counter as Cal soaked her hand. "We might find another zodiac sign, and if nothing else we'll have a better handle on who we are here. Unless you've got any better ideas?"

Cal shook her head again. "No, you're right," she agreed. "The children might know where you live."

The tugging feeling, the attachment the three shared to Vahsi and the prince, wherever they were, niggled at her thinly, as though it were a slim cord stretched over a long distance.

"Maybe we'll find some clue about where Vahsi ended up, too."

Back in the sitting room Taar and Mita were busily eating the fish and licking their paws clean, while Manisha seemed to be trying to resist making adoring noises. Her face hardened when Gina entered, and she started to stare down at her plate instead, eating mechanically. Biting her cheek as she sat down to her own plate, Gina thought she might as well ask the question that she and Manisha had come up with earlier.

"So, kids, how are you getting on with just you and Cal here?"

The kittens gave her the feline equivalent of a funny look.

"It has always been just us and Nurturer." said Mita, who appeared to be the more observant and assertive of the two.

"I know," Gina said lightly, trying to gloss over the error. Perhaps the too-tall drawer in Cal's bedroom was just designed with Bayn'gul in mind, rather than short-arse humans. "I mean, what have you been up to?"

"We are happy." Taar said as he licked his paws clean. "Koolkal made us tired in hunting practice today."

"That's good!" Gina said, nodding and smiling. "The harder you work at it, the faster you get better."

She stopped to chew a forkful of the spiced fish, and decided to try a different tack.

"This is really good, Cal, thanks." she said before turning back to the two young Bayn'gul, "I remember the first time I had Cal's fish...do you remember when we first got here?"

Mita's ears cocked forward. "It was fun being so little, then being given to Nurturer. Nurturer always made delicious fish."

Mita's tone quietened as she spoke to Gina about Cal, and both kittens' ears began to flutter again. Seeing that they were uncomfortable, or perhaps that the questions weren't appropriate for her as-yet-undetermined relationship with them, Gina decided not to press them any further.

"She certainly does." she agreed, standing up and picking up the empty plates to take back to the kitchen. She paused and looked at Cal and Manisha. "Hey, this is a bit random, but do you guys mind if I have a shower before we head out again?"

When Manisha seemed interested in the fact that there was a shower available, Gina let her go first. She hoped that the small dose of normality would help their new companion's nerves, even if Gina's own interactions with her remained strained for the time being.

When Gina's turn came she kept the water cool, to help keep away the tiredness that was starting to come over her. By the time of the Greek palace they had left it was coming on for late evening, while here it still seemed to be the middle of the day.

Despite its other modern conveniences the house seemed to lack a hair drier, so she simply wrung out her wet hair and pleated it up before climbing back into her brown robe. When she got back downstairs the others were already waiting. Cal had put the Bayn'gul ointment on her hand and face, and her bruised cheek was already looking less black. Gina packed the zodiac book into a woven satchel that Cal had found in her room, and added a number of the red flowers from her basket - just in case they needed to trade something a second time. She stopped the flowers from getting crushed by putting them inside a box from the kitchen, which appeared to be made of something more or less like Tupperware.

Without any better pretext to get Taar and Mita to lead them to Gina's own home in the village, she and Cal suggested to the children that they race.

"We are going to race...?" Mita purred, pursing her lips.

"Yeah, I gueth." Manisha said, cautiously eyeing Gina and Cal as they stepped back outside. Her brown hair was heavy against her shoulders from her recent shower.

Two hours had passed since the girls had gone inside, and the sun was only a silver over its peak, eastbound. Gina looked up at it for a moment when she noticed the seemingly backwards direction of travel. I guess Kysmaet must spin the other way. Regardless, the world around continued to live on, the market filled with Cat-People - or Bayn’gül as they had now all learned from Gina's books.

"Mhm...?" Taar agreed with his sister, though he looked hesitant about it too. Their feline eyes met Gina and Cal's encouraging smiles. Manisha scratched her nose. The Bayn’gül children clutched their hands and ran back down to the dirt thoroughfare, taking a right and rushing through the market.

"Lets not lose them." Gina said, as she took off after the two at a slightly awkward run. She was a good track runner, but not quite so good in sandals and a loose robe, with the unbalancing weight of the zodiac book thumping along in her shoulder-satchel.

Trying to keep Taar and Mita in sight as they tore off through the market, Gina couldn't help noticing that the other Bayn’gül didn't seem particularly pleased by the undignified display.
    The adults were swishing their tails with irate expressions as they looked down at the children, rushing through the scattered market shoppers. Hisses quietly seethed from their lips.

"Sorry!" Gina called out as she weaved past them.

Cal was a little way behind the redhead - running was not something she'd ever had to do much of, but she kept Gina and the kittens in sight as they dodged between bystanders who definitely did not look pleased at the disturbance. It couldn't be helped now, though. Glancing back to make sure Manisha was still behind her, Cal continued through the crowd, trying to avoid the eyes of the irritated market populace.

Hissing Bayn’gül judged their every step through the market, the two children going ahead with laughter just as when the young women had met them. Manisha was running behind, hands on her breasts and gripping to hold them down, face cringing.

The length of the market concluded when they were led downhill to a view of loosely dense trees, each several stories tall. Sunlight spotted through the branches. Winding through them the dirt thoroughfare continued - it seemed that these exotic trees were the homes of the people. Built into their massive trunks were wooden domes, steps rolling their way up to the domes from the roots. The visible population of Bayn’gül jumped from two dozen to over a hundred. The feline people were walking from tree to tree, deeper into the woods or trekking up the hill. They gave the women small nods but smiled at Cal.

Gina returned the nods of the nearest Bayn’gül as she glanced around. She had seen pictures of redwood trees that were big enough to hollow out and drive a car through, but she hadn't seen literal tree-houses. She didn't have time to stop and appreciate the engineering though - she halted just long enough to look back and see that Cal and Manisha were still with her before running on, following Mita's grey-striped head as it bobbed away through the crowd. The children were not stopping, diving straight down into the back and forth traffic of their people.

Cal couldn't help but pause momentarily; the forested area, though vastly different to the dark woods that surrounded Serroc, set off old alarm bells. The wood there had not been a place one roamed carelessly, and the last time she had been there, it had been as a prisoner. Manisha caught up to her as she paused, and Cal took a breath, knowing she must plunge onward if she wasn't going to lose sight of...

"Shit!" she cursed, for in the growing crowds, she could not see the redhead in front of her, let alone the kittens, who had not slowed as they raced onward. "Come on!" she urged the newest arrival to the group, taking Manisha by the wrist as she hurried forward again into the trees, eyes scanning the crowd for Gina's telltale red hair and lack of feline features. Was that her, just ahead? "Do you see them?" she asked her companion, a little breathless as they hurried onward.

Manisha gave her held wrist only the quickest of displeased glances, while her other hand pointed instantly to where Gina had been. Her eyesight must have been sharp, to know where the young woman was among a mass of Bayn’gül taller than her.

"There." Manisha muscled around Cal, trying to take the lead herself and yanking the purple-eyed teen beauty with her.

Gina reappeared ahead of them, strands of her ginger hair frizzing away from her windswept scalp and pleat. For a moment Cal caught a look of panic on the other girl's face before she zeroed back in on her and Manisha. No doubt, after what had happened to Baka, Gina was paranoid about any of them getting lost in a crowd.

"Okay guys?" Gina queried as an expression of relief relaxed her features. "Just letting them race, just a bit of fun." she added, the explanation directed at one of the nearby Bayn’gül.
    The cat-people had indeed been giving them glances and smiles as they passed, though with their urgent chase of their Bayn’gül children, the smiles they received were short-lived and became confusion.

There was nothing for it but to press on after the laughing children, until Taar and Mita spiraled up a tree about half a mile into the tree village. The wood steps were smooth but showing the nicks gained over time, and the girls' thighs were given a straining test as the steps were tall from one to the next. The winding stairs mercilessly spanned up several stories tall, to meet a dark and glossy-finished wooden door.

"Well done!" Gina panted at the kittens, leaning gratefully up against the doorframe to catch her breath as she joined them at the top. "Little hunters in the making."

A rail followed the steps up around the tree and Manisha held onto it all the way, looking fearful of both the amassing height and the pain they forced her legs to go through.

"Time out," the Greek girl wheezed as they approached the top. "Thith is tho difficult. Oh Areth..."

Gina tried not to cringe as Taar openly frowned at Manisha when she finished her raspy-voiced, lisping words. Cal, inwardly sighing with relief that they had not lost each other in the crowd, arrived at the top a moment after the other two, breathless and red-faced. Seeing Taar's questioning look, she struggled to keep her composure; luckily, years of practice made it a less difficult feat than it otherwise would have been.

Mita looked up at Gina after staring at the door for several seconds - no one having opened it. Upon the door was no knob, only a flat metal square where one should be. The square was large, assumingly the size of an adult Bayn’gül hand.

They hadn't said whose home this was going to be, but Gina took her cue from Mita's expectant look. Still panting, she let go of the doorframe and instead placed her hand experimentally against the metal plate.

Curious, Cal watched as Gina pressed her palm against the door. She couldn't see how that would work, but it would scarcely be the strangest thing she had seen on her travels so far. She touched her own palm, her thoughts returning for a moment to the device Gina had called a hob.

Upon Gina's contact the door swooshed open quickly, almost taking her hand with it in its speedy pull into the wall. She stumbled over the doorway but kept her balance as her feet awkwardly danced on deep-brown hued wood. When Gina managed to look up, she saw an odd alien equivalent of a studio apartment; she could see the furnishings of a bedroom, kitchen and small study compromised of one bookshelf and a chair that faced the windows - all in one square room. Aside from the entrance only one door led off, into a small enclosed cubicle that Gina took to be a bathroom.

Through the windows, the light of the sun filtered through leaves and left nature's shadows on the floor. The bed was the only thing messy - wrinkled by a Bayn’gül man sitting on it. His coat was pitch-black, reflecting the sun's rays. When Gina's surprised eyes met his, his feline green irises zipped to everyone behind her and then sought the ground at his feet shamefully.

He stood, showing he was quite a bit taller than all the women, but when the three took a moment to stare they saw upon his forehead was a P shaped symbol, with a strong horizontal line stemming from its base. The rune looked to be shaved to make a fleshy symbol, rather than tattooed as Panos and the travellers' marks had been.

"That'th important, right?" Manisha asked, slapping Gina's shoulder and proceeding to openly point at the Bayn’gül man.

Yes probably, Gina thought, But some subtlety might be nice. She condensed the thought into a sharp nudge of her elbow into Manisha's ribs.

The Bayn’gül cleared his throat. His long night-black tail swished gracefully and he rubbed his arms - the girls able to see the slight indents and flexion of muscle through the fur.

"Koolkal comes here?" Mita asked, very puzzled and confused.

Cal looked from the kittens to the adult feline - so this was Koolkal. Mita was clearly surprised to see him, and his expression was one of someone who had just been caught somewhere he should not be. She supposed this must be Gina's house, since the door had opened so readily for her, but what was the children's hunting teacher doing h...

"Oh!" Cal said aloud, the most obvious solution dawning on her; then she blushed crimson at the thought. A princess did not have relationships outside of marriage, of course, but she knew what men and women were wont to do well enough; servants and commoners had lesser expectations than she had, and she wasn't entirely ignorant of their dalliances. The teenager giggled, sneaking a look at Gina to see her reaction - which transitioned from hesitant confusion to the perfect oh fuck expression as she realised what Cal was suggesting. Cal remembered herself just in time, and tried to seem composed.

"Hello, Koolkal," she greeted the Bayn’gül with a nod - obviously the children's nurturer would know their teacher, and it would be odd if she didn't greet him. She tried not to seem surprised to see him there, hoping it would allay the children's curiosity if it seemed their carer was unfazed by his presence.

Koolkal hastily fixed the bed and began walking straight towards them - but they could see on his face that he wanted to go through them to leave.

Cal didn't move from where she stood, in the doorway. The symbol, if their past experiences were anything to go from, meant he was important somehow - they had better try to find out why before they let him go. Gina seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

"Wait..." she blurted out at the towering Bayn’gül, "Stay. Please."

Koolkal halted, stuttered something, and looked away.

Gina took a deep breath, looking from Cal to Manisha and trying to think of any other possible explanation. He can't be stealing anything because he'd have just bolted. He isn't my flatmate because there's only one bed. And if he was just a friend visiting he wouldn't look so bloody guilty...

"Everyone just...make yourselves at home." she said, to stall for time as she put her satchel down on one of the surfaces of the kitchenette, and used the excuse to unpack the flowers and the zodiac book. She let the latter fall open on top of the Tupperware box - if Manisha had recognised the symbol shaved into Koolkal's forehead, then it was probably Greek...and therefore might be one of the book's clues.
    Shifting through the many empty pages, the book opened with the symbol boldly printed on the left page, while on the right its description was simple - imprinted in the center, "Pluto: Sexuality, Obsession, Pain, Rebirth, Disease, & Secrecy".

Oh great.

Gina caught Cal's eye and glanced down at the book, stepping aside so that the other girl could look at the clue. As she shuffled back round to the front of the kitchenette, she could see that her invitation for everyone to relax had been about as successful as she had expected.
    Koolkal's eyes kept off all the women, and even the children picked up on the tense social environment and kept quiet. The Bayn’gül tails wagged, man and children, in the silence.

"Tho....why are you here?" Manisha asked Koolkal, who in turn glared at her feet and looked away once more.

Too far away to elbow Manisha in the ribs this time, Gina raised her eyebrows sharply at her in an expression she hoped the other girl would read as stop talking, now.

Oh god, we need some privacy for this.

"Can you give me and Koolkal a minute?" she asked the room in a strained voice, before taking a hold of the Bayn’gül's furry wrist - too big to close her fingers around - and tugging him towards the front door.

To her relief, the taller and stronger-looking Bayn’gül simply allowed Gina to pull him to the door. Touching a matching silver panel on the inside wall sent the door swishing open again, letting her guide Koolkal out into the warm, breezy air of the balcony beyond. Gina steadied herself against the wooden railing as the door closed behind them. Her heart was beating against her ribs, out of a nervousness that had nothing to do with the tree-trunks tapering away downwards or the speck-like Bayn’gül milling around on the ground below.

"So what am I supposed to tell them?" she asked Koolkal, looking up at the kittens' hunting teacher.

"Is humiliation a new punishment you will give me?" Koolkal asked. He never looked or spoke in challenge to her; rather he was keeping his head low and his eyes to the side. His tail wrapped around his leg loosely - the very end of the tail spasmodically twitching until it calmed against his thigh. "You promised me pain, in private...between us."

Oh for fuck's sake. Gina thought, caught between the pressure of the moment and the absurdity of it all. Am I his Dom?

"Remind me why you deserve it." she told the huge Bayn’gül, injecting a little sternness into her voice and hoping it would mask her thudding heartbeat.

Koolkal whimpered deep in his large torso, and his body shivered - eyes never leaving the ground but moving to Gina's feet.

"Because I'm filthy, diseased." he said with self loathing, "Sick and you still love me, break me."

"That's enough." Gina snapped, only half in character. "Now listen. What are you going to tell Cal and the others?"

"It was a mistake for me to be here. I am nothing to you..." Koolkal replied back steadily.

"I don't think you understand." Gina said. She blinked, marshalling her thoughts.

He's got a mark - we need to keep him on side. Obsession; rebirth; secrecy.

"Did I tell you to leave when the others came in? No, I asked you to stay. We..." She hesitated. "What's between you and me is our business, no-one else's. I didn't bring Manisha and Cal here on purpose. Taar and Mita went running up before I could stop them. So what do you want to tell them?"

The Bayn’gül man's dagger-thin irises scanned up from Gina's feet to stop at her lips - taking interest in them.

"I was...hiding here to improve their searching through the jungles..." His voice lacked command as he remained before her.

Gina nodded, relieved. To be fair, it wasn't much worse than any other excuse they might have come up with on such short notice.

"That'll do." she said, and beckoned the tall Bayn'gul back towards the door. "Come on."

As Gina and the children's tutor conversed outside, Cal took the opportunity to look around the room. The information given about the symbol on the books' open page seemed to confirm her suspicions about the two's relationship, though the inclusion of the word diseased gave the princess pause, her small nose wrinkling in instinctual distaste. Finding no further information she could glean there, she turned her attention to the rest of the abode, determined to be more useful here than she had proved in her own home.

At least I got us fed, even if I didn't find out much, she excused herself.

The small space didn't take long to explore, and she quickly found her way to the desk and chair that provided an office space. Trying to seem casual and natural, for the children were no doubt watching, she opened the desks drawers, her eyes flickering over their contents.

The first drawer offered no real clues, containing only the writing tools one would expect to be stored in such an area. The second, on first inspection, seemed to be no more help. As her gaze moved over the small collection of herbs and the blade within, her heart twinged with the memory of all that had befallen their party in the world they'd first been plunged into - the Prince's shooting, Baka's death. Impulsively, she reached in to pick up the knife, holding it uncertainly for a moment before slipping it beneath her robes, tucked into the band of her undergarments. As her fingers touched the bottom of the drawer, the wood seemed to shift slightly beneath them. She frowned, reaching back in to prod at it, and pull at its edges. The bottom lifted; it was false. The space beneath held several unfamiliar tools - cylindrical tubes tipped with wickedly sharp-looking metal points. Each was filled with a green-yellow liquid.

Shaking her head in confusion, she moved to the third and final drawer, her nose wrinkling again as she opened it. The smell that hit her nostrils was rather overwhelming. As her watering eyes focused on what it held, they widened. Were these instruments of torture? Or... again, the girl blushed as she closed the drawer, hiding the collar, whip and leather gags and bands from view once more. They reminded her of similar 'tools' she'd seen in her mother's chambers... and she wasn't entirely sure it was torture they were used for.

The two children sniffed, their noses wrinkling before they giggled and looked away embarrassed.

"I'm mithing thomething." Manisha said while looking at the two children share their joke. Coming over to where Cal was, she peered inside, gasped and started to laugh. Her hand dived straight for the collar and grabbed it. She lingered on it with a tinge of pain - missing her Bestie. The gag and collar must have reminded her of the woman she admired. She pulled out the whip.

"Maybe the people will trade thtuff for thith later..." she suggested, shaking it to make the flailing ends dance. It also sent the scent spraying out, and the children looked increasingly uncomfortable as they neared the door and kept their heads low.

The door hissed open to readmit Gina and Koolkal, the former stepping around the Bayn'gul kittens and offering them a smile as she set eyes on them.

"Koolkal explained everything." she told them. "He was hiding up here to test your hunting skills - I just wish he'd told me first..." She frowned as she registered their twitching ears and tails. "Are you two okay?"

Cal's eyes shot from the obviously upset kittens (no surprise, she thought - though the smell had no particular significance to her, their feline noses would be more powerful than her own) to Gina and Koolkal, re-entering the room, to Manisha, quite comfortably holding the whip in hand.

"Manisha!" she hissed sharply, a little panic rising in her chest and calling her to the ingrained defense mechanism of her royal heritage; control and command. "Put that away! Now!"

Manisha stared at the whip, playing with its tassels one more time in fond memory. But she was suddenly ready to move on.

"I'm going to put it back now, maybe no one would want it..." she outwardly reasoned, setting it back in the drawer and shrugging. She turned to Gina and the cat people with a slight tilt of her head. "Hide and theek on the bed...I've played thothe gameth before."

Her voice lowered into a mischievous chuckle. Her brain began to tingle and she rubbed her forehead; she had really wanted that whip.

Cal stepped forward, partially obscuring the other woman from view as she smiled at Koolkal, outwardly accepting the reasoning for his being here, though mentally she doubted that was the truth of it.

"Your commitment to their learning is wonderful," she said, "And you found him! Good hunting!" she smiled now at the children. Their tails and ears still twitched, and she wondered what they would make of the object Manisha had revealed, and the odour that came with it, which Koolkal would surely smell too.

Koolkal nodded to the children who clapped their hands and both placed their touch on his arm. He had almost flinched, a twitch of his facial muscles, but his body held stiffly. Taar and Mita accepted the worlds easily enough.

"We were lucky!" Mita said up to him. Yet again the children wiggled their noses and looked at the open drawer with uncertainty, while the black Bayn’gül secluded himself from the reaction with an aversion of his eyes. Manisha stared one more time down into the leather holding box and finally pulled away, just as Gina crossed over to them. The redhead hurriedly closed the drawer holding the bondage implements, but frowned when she saw the herbs and, more importantly, the barbed tubes sitting under the displaced false bottom of the drawer.

Gina shot a quizzical look at Cal and Manisha. When Cal responded with raised eyebrows and a tiny shake of the head, Gina frowned and ran a hand across the bookshelf behind the desk, as if she were looking for something. Evidently she didn't find it, but it didn't seem to deter her for long as she bit her lip, looked down at the sprigs of herbs again, and lifted out the false bottom they rested on to place them on the top of the desk.

"A quick test for you, little hunters." she said, closing the door and turning around to smile at Taar and Mita. "We know you can track but how good's your fieldcraft?"

She carried the herbs on their wooden slate over to the kitchen worktop. There were two kinds - one white, one pink.

"Who can tell me what these plants are and what they're for?"

Mita pointed to the leafy green plant with four square white petals. "Apercon, that makes people sleepy and warm!" the young one recalled with excitement.

Koolkal stared at the openly displayed flowers with shock, that he swallowed down and averted with a turn of his head. Taar had moved himself over to the stock of flowers to stare down the pink ten petaled flower with black dots.

"This one is for really sick people..." he whispered.

"Rosenon..." Mita whispered with shock, and covered her mouth with her hands, gasping.

"Don't be frightened." Gina said gently, hiding her anticipation that they might be on to something. "And do you know what it does?"

The two children were enthralled with fear as they lingered on the herb Mita had called rosenon.

"It slows the sickness." Mita said, whipping her tail around. Together with Taar, she looked at their nurturer with worry.

"Why does she have that...?" she asked, while the two took pulling steps away from Gina to Cal and indirectly Manisha.

Alarmed, Gina had to think fast. She was careful not to accidentally glance at Koolkal, keeping her eyes on the children. She didn't try to pursue them as they backed away, and instead pulled up a stool next to the worktop and sat down.

Cal's mind was racing - Gina was the one who seemed to be good at making up explanations, not her! Both the children were looking at her expectantly, seeking reassurance. She reached out her arms to them, allowing them to sidle closer, and recieve affection if they wished.

"I bought it a while ago, because I thought I should." Gina said quietly, saving Cal from having to respond, "You never know who could be suffering in silence, do you? I wanted to think that they could come to me for help if they needed. Without the...stigma."

Throughout the act, she was still careful not to look at Koolkal. She shrugged, and stood up.

"Don't mind me, guys. I'm too sentimental for my own good. And don't you two worry," she soothed the kittens. "There's no disease around here."

She scooped the herbs up to put them out of sight in her satchel, still on the kitchen worktop.
    Her attempts to soothe however seemed to have failed, as the children still sought comfort from their nurturer.

Cal knelt to pull both of the cat children firmly into her arms, one hand clutching each of them in a quick embrace before pulling back to rest a hand atop eithers' shoulder.

"You have learned so much!" she exclaimed, the image of a gushing parent - or so she hoped. "I'm very proud of you both. I know Koolkal is too!" she added, throwing an unintentionally warning glance at their teacher, who was still acting like a scared dog with its' tail between its' legs. It was only reaffirming her first assumption - clearly he had everything to do with the strange things they'd found in Gina's house, and was not happy about them being exposed. But what had at first seemed funny, now annoyed her. The children were already suspicious, and his odd behaviour would only exacerbate it. And yet she didn't want to send him away - what if they had more to learn from him?

Giving each child a kiss on the forehead, she released them, standing to cross to the door and open it. Peering outside at the afternoon sun, she had a thought.

"Koolkal," she said, her voice regaining some of its prissy authoritarianism, "We are going to Manisha's dwelling, now. You should accompany us. Help me ensure the children do not wander."

With a glance at the book, her thoughts returned to the mention of sickness, and the children's reactions to the healing herb. Was Koolkal sick? Or Gina? She gave a worried look to her friend. Was it life threatening? And if so, was she putting them, and the children at risk by asking the feline man to join them?

"How are we going to go to my place?" Manisha asked Cal audibly, poking her shoulder for input. The Bayn’gül children stared at her briefly and scratched at their heads while they held onto Cal. Their eyes had cast concern and bewilderment to one another with the purple-eyed teenager in the middle.

Gina chewed her tongue. Manisha, will you please think before you speak!

"Can you guys wait for me at the bottom?" she asked the others quickly. "I just want to tidy up a bit before I go."

Cal cottoned on quickly to Gina's plan. Being pulled by the young princess, everyone left Gina to 'tidy' her high-rise treehouse home. Wasting no time, Gina herself set about searching the studio flat, kneeling to open the studio cupboards and rummage through the food items and folded clothes that were variously stuffed inside. Nothing was hidden under them, and when she checked the small bathroom she similarly found nothing untoward. Biting her cheek thoughtfully, her eyes fell on the bed as she turned back to the main room. Stepping up to it, she ran her hands cautiously under the pillows and across the mattress, then hauled up a corner to look under it. A flash of white paper caught her eye.

Reaching under the bed, she pulled out a small bundle of
    folded, discrete documents. Flattening them out; she saw a language of patterned scratch-like pen marks, but with a familiar twinge from her wrist they translated before her very eyes into text she could read. The enlarged text at the top of one read Asylum Application.

Gina took a breath and slowly let it out. According to the papers, she had been planning a trip to the planet 'Valkure'. Underneath was a red-inked stamp of approval. The documents revealed that people from this planet Valkure were due to take her and KoolKal away, on the eve of the thirtieth day of the fifth month. Reasons listed were 'For hostile social environment and medical grounds'

Gina's heart began to beat faster. Between Koolkal's mark urging secrecy and the kittens' fearful reactions to the rosenon herb, she could well believe that it would be dangerous for her and Koolkal if news of his sickness got out. Well, that or they really frowned on humans and Bayn'gül shacking up together. Was that their mission here - to get Koolkal to safety?

The robe she was wearing didn't have any pockets. Twisting awkwardly, she refolded the asylum papers and stuffed them into the side of her bra. Now she needed to find out if Koolkal knew about her plan - after his hesitant, accusing words on the balcony, she didn't think so. She would have to find a private moment to tell him.

But what about Cal and Manisha? Their names aren't on the papers...

First, she needed to know what the date was. The thirtieth of the fifth month might have been today, or tomorrow, or half a year away for all she knew. She scanned around hopefully for a calendar hanging in the kitchen, but she was out of luck. Knowing that Koolkal and the kittens would begin to wonder if she took much longer, she went back to the desk by the window and made sure that the false drawer was back in place. She hid one of the hypodermic needles at the very bottom of her bag next to the herbs, and put a pen and a few sheets of paper from the desk on top of them, followed by the Tupperware box full of flowers. On an impulse she pulled down two of the books from the shelf above, but the blurb of one revealed it to be only a romance novel, while opening a random page of the other showed a surprisingly graphic picture of two Bayn'gül performing a sex act.

"Some porn you're into, girl." Gina murmured to her absent doppelgänger as she straightened. She piled a few more items into the top of her satchel, including a toothbrush and what she thought was a tube of toothpaste from the bathroom, and a couple of fruits from the kitchen that looked a bit like apples.

Exiting the flat back into the dappled afternoon sun, she watched the door slide closed behind her and assumed hopefully that it would lock itself. Climbing down the steps was certainly easier than climbing up, and as she neared the bottom of the spiral stair she saw Cal and the others waiting expectantly. As she trotted down the last few steps, Gina pulled one of the sheets of paper from her satchel and rested it on her hand, scribbling in one corner with the pen until the ink started to flow.

"What's the date again?" she asked, looking at Koolkal as she pretended to write something on the page.

Koolkal looked at Gina's feet. "It's the 28th." he mumbled. "Of Fifth."

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

The sun's descent was well underway as they neared Manisha's house, but Cal's thoughts were elsewhere. Her mind was buzzing over everything Gina had filled her in on in the hushed conversation they'd had after leaving the house, drawing back to allow some distance between the three girls and the felines. The mention of the asylum papers worried her; what if Gina was whisked away without her? And Manisha, came the afterthought. The displaced girl was their responsibility now, and it wasn't one Cal wanted to shoulder on her own. It was enough trouble trying to figure out how to get herself through this whole mess alive!

"It's only two days." Gina whispered. She was glancing around periodically, trying to be sure of memorising the route they were taking through the trees. "We just need to keep our heads down and our eyes open. We'll think of something to make sure these Valkure people take us all with them."

Gina won't let us be seperated, the princess thought, glancing at the older girl to reassure herself. She was good at all this - figuring it all out. It made Cal ever more determined not to just be dead weight; so far the only contribution she'd really made was her apparent aptitude for bossing Manisha around.

"Do you think we should ask Koolkal if someone can babysit the kittens?" Gina thought out loud as they walked.

Manisha wiped her hair back, the brown strands beginning to gather a shine of sweat, and she clicked her tongue before she spoke.

"You thould take them. They lotht their mom and you keep lying that the'th thtill around." she reasoned to Cal, as if challenging the younger girl to own up to her lies. "They are your rethponthibility now."

She gave a quick glance to Gina as she finished.

Yes, I know. Gina thought wearily.

She knew it wasn't her fault, but she still felt bad for Manisha and Gigi. The worst thing was still not knowing where the people whose lives they were being forced into had gone. Gina was keen to find the Note Writer and wring some answers out of them. If they can pull people out of reality, they must be able to put them back. she thought, remembering her promise to Manisha back at Cal's hilltop house.

Manisha had a point about the kittens, though. Gina mulled it over - she didn't want to put the kittens in danger, and after the shootout at Panos' palace she had a horrible feeling that something like that might happen again. Then again, would they be safe here without their Nurturer?

Grimly, she realised that there probably wasn't an option they could take that would avoid causing Taar and Mita pain. Take them with us, away from their home...or leave them behind without their Nurturer...or flat out admit that we aren't who they think we are...

"We could ask them?" she suggested. "We'll have to tell them about Valkure sooner or later. Maybe the best thing we could do is let them decide if they want to go or stay."

Cal chewed her lip - the nervous habit had been reverted to so frequently of late. Her teeth were starting to leave an imprint on the soft skin. Her eyes were on the kittens, just ahead.

"I don't know!" she said, the frustration evident in her voice. "Manisha's right, they're my responsiblility but... I'm not a parent! I'm not even of age yet! If we could just figure out whose doing this to us...what they're doing to the ones whose places we took..."

She had the brief, curious thought that she had no idea what was happening in her own home - was there another princess there, accepted by everyone as Cal? Even if they could find their way free of this whole mess, would she have a home to go back to?

Manisha gave her another judgemental look, but the Greek girl's biggest judgment was directed at the series of stairs that wound up the trunk of the next tree, as Koolkal began to climb them with the kittens scampering after. This must have been Manisha's house, judging by the fact that the Bayn’gül were collectively going up them. Manisha's verdict on the stairs came in the form of a heavy groan. For all three young women the journey up was sure to set their thighs on fire.

"Here we go again?" Gina murmured, offering one hand to Cal and the other, somewhat optimistically, to Manisha to help them all up the gruelling staircase. The Greek girl took it, however, and they climbed.

The second set of stairs definitely felt harder than the first. Even Gina, who liked to think of herself as reasonably fit, was feeling the burn by the time they reached the top. Climbing up and down these trees every day would certainly be one way of staying in shape. Taar, Mita and Koolkal were all waiting on the balcony platform, seemingly untroubled by the climb. They stood expectantly beside a panel-activated door, identical to the one on Gina's tree house. Manisha remembered how to open the door, using her hand to do so.

Inside, Manisha's house followed the same studio-flat layout as Gina's, although it was significantly less well kept. A strong flowery scent hit them as soon as they stepped inside, mixed with a slightly musty smell that reminded Gina unpleasantly of her old school's changing rooms. Rumpled clothes were scattered everywhere, on the floor and on several of the horizontal surfaces, and scattered among them were what looked like herbs. The sharp, sweet smell of the plants tickled the girls' noses and made both Cal and Gina sneeze. Looking at Koolkal and the kittens, they saw that all three had bared their teeth in apparent disgust.

"Bloody hell." Gina opined, scratching her nose. "I think we'd better tidy up a bit..."

The children began laughing openly at Manisha as she stared at the surroundings with wide eyes. "Where'th the help around here?" the Greek girl asked, with a disgruntled raising of her privileged nose.

Cal looked equally as disgusted with the thought of touching anything in the dingy room. She sighed, her shoulders relaxing out of the haughty stance she had been bred into. Well, this is a day for firsts, the royal thought, First cooking, now cleaning, too?

"Are you thirsty, little ones?" she asked, licking her own dry lips. They had done more exercise than she was accustomed to in the last few hours, and she was parched. Picking her way through the scattered clothes to the studio's small kitchen, she opened a few cupboards until she located the one that stored cups.

Pulling a few from the cupboard, she wrinkled her nose at the grime on them and rinsed them thoroughly under the faucet, pleased with herself that her deduction of where to source water (the pool of it in the basin below the tap had tipped her off to this worlds' equivalent of a well) had been correct. Filling them, she passed two to the children first, then drank herself.

"Now, you two sit down and rest, while I help Gina," she instructed them, then turned to the redhead. She assumed the older girl would want to use the tidying as a pretext for searching the room for anything that would help them figure out why they were here.

In the end, it was Manisha who found the first clue. The Greek girl was kicking clothes aside with the edges of her feet to sloppily 'clean' the room, when she discovered a silver chain among the crinkled layers, holding a matching coin talisman. Picking it up, she saw its symbol to be of a small claw mark, oriented to the right side of the coin.

While still evidently disgusted, Koolkal's eyes vertically narrowed as he witnessed the talisman.

"An honour by the First Sister?" his grim voice was quiet, but held the hint of a growl. The children meanwhile seemed to instantly take Manisha in some higher regard as they looked up to her with straighter posture.

Gina and Cal looked up from their cleaning. Cal had been busy binning the herbs, while Gina crammed dirty clothes into an appliance with a steel drum which she was 90% sure was a washing machine, and wondered vaguely whether the water for the flat came down from a tank above, or was somehow piped up through the middle of the tree. The idle thought evaporated as soon as she saw Manisha and Koolkal both staring at the necklace in Manisha's hand.

Koolkal kept his suspicions up. "What have you done to earn her honour?"

Manisha blinked, looked at the flowers on the ground and shrugged.

"Gave her herbth, got her fucked up. I know the good thtuff."

Gina narrowly controlled the urge to smack her own forehead with the palm of her hand. Koolkal stared at Manisha, heavily.

"You found a rarer herb for the First Sister?"

"..." Manisha slowly nodded. "That'th what I thaid." She went on to further overcompensate with a forced scoff of superiority. Koolkal lowered his head - whether it was in respect or in shyness was hard to determine.

Gina exchanged a brief, strained glance with Cal, wishing that Manisha had thought of a more evasive answer. Something like it was private, or she wasn't sure if she should say. Alright, ten points for quick thinking, but minus about a hundred for the claim we can't back up. Drugs, for god's sake?

"Have you seen the First Sister recently?" she asked Koolkal, picking up on the possible significance of the name to the three Bayn'gül. "How is she?"

Koolkal shrugged in ignorance.

"The Khal'caan is coming in two suns for..." The large animal-man lowered his ears diffidently. "The cleansing of the tribes"

The two children proceeded to lower their ears in mirror of their hunting teacher.

"There are many sick this year..." Taar mumbled sorrowfully.

The cleansing? Cal repeated in her mind, shooting a significant look at Gina. The other girl looked worried. Was this the reason for the papers they'd found at her house? That the timeframe coincided exactly seemed a clear enough indication that it was.

"Well, I'm sure they'll get better, once they're cleansed," she said reassuringly, smiling at her young charges. "They must come back home, eventually, right?"

What would be worse - to take the children from their homes without a way to return them, or to leave them here, alone? Koolkal was the only other person the kids had mentioned knowing - they needed to find out if there was someone else who could care for them.

"Is there anyone else you'd like to visit today?" she asked them, unsure of a better way to probe for that information.

Taar and Mita shook their heads. "Training." they said.

"Do you think we could go and watch, maybe?" Gina asked, directing her question at Cal, but broke off as she realised that was something was wrong with Koolkal. The silky-black Bayn'gül looked away as his left hand began to spasm, a few fingers twitching.

"I will see you at setting sun." he told the children as he began to take his leave towards the door.

Gina glanced worriedly between her companions and the retreating Bayn'gül as he put his paw to the inner door panel and it swished open. Apparently, unlike the outside touch pad, it was universal.

"I'm going to tell him." she whispered, before bolting after Koolkal. The closing door almost snagged the hem of her robe as she ran out onto the balcony outside. Koolkal was already several steps away down the tree's spiral staircase.

"Koolkal," Gina shouted after him, "Stop!"

The Bayn'gül froze at the sharp command; one hand gripping the outer bannister of the staircase, his ears twitching back against his skull.

Swallowing, Gina hurried down the steps after him, glancing round anxiously at the leafy tree canopy. The people on the ground were too far away to hear them, and she didn't see any other Bayn'gül in the nearby trees, or lurking above. Secrecy, she thought as she joined Koolkal on the sunlit side of the tree, the trunk painted gold by the lowering sun.

"I've got something I need to tell you." she told Koolkal, quietly.

Once again the tip of the Bayn'gül's long tail twitched, and for the first time Gina wondered if the spasms were a symptom of his disease rather than simple discomfort. After the kittens' lack of reaction to Cal's reassurance, Gina hoped that the Cleansing was indeed a sending away rather than the murderous purge it had first sounded like - but she was still worried about anyone else discovering Koolkal's secret before the people from Valkure arrived. Her abdomen twinged, and she found herself thinking ruefully that any more of this paranoia was liable to give her stomach cramps.

"I've got us asylum papers." she blurted to Koolkal as she circled round the step he was standing on and looked at him face to face. "They're coming in two days, to take us away to Valkure."

Koolkal stared at her. If only for the slightest moment, an iris-narrowing hostility swept the gaze of his eyes; and it had been aimed at her.

"That is dishonorable..." he replied. "I should be put to rest like all others. It is the natural way. Do not command me against that...mistress..." He whispered her title, black ears twitching sheepishly.

Gina blinked, wrong-footed. No question of how, or why, just 'honour'? While she sensed that she might be able to force him, it didn't feel right to try - especially when she didn't have the full picture yet. She paused for a long moment, trying to decide on the right words.

"This is one thing I can't command you to do." she said, resting her hands on her hips. "But I can ask you. I mean, what good are you to the people who need you if you're put to rest? Is that really what you want?"

Her words inspired the Bayn’gül to flicker his tail in a slow and thoughtful way. His large body expanded with a breath, and he rolled his shoulders. His features, fusing alien feline and familiar humanoid, held defeat thoroughly. Gina felt a dull pang at his expression.

"The healthy are those who will keep our people strong, not me." was his answer to her, as he turned to continue walking away. Gina put her hand on the bannister, blocking his path with her arm.

"Are you calling Taar and Mita weak?" she challenged him. "They are growing up to be hunters because of you, disease or not. Just this morning another Bayn'gül told Cal how strong they were and how proud she must be. That was you. And..." She hesitated, unsure of the part she had to play, before taking the plunge. "And I don't want to lose you."

Koolkal's tongue came out to lick his chops, staring. Gina could feel the tension of his conflicting thoughts and emotions.

"I was the mistress's toy. We were not bonded, it would be...forbidden."

"If you really think that," Gina countered, "Then why were you upset at the idea of you being nothing to me? It's like I told you, Koolcal - what's between you and me is no-one else's business."

Koolkal gazed down over the railing, to the plethora of Bayn'gül in various states of light, noting how far below they were from the height of their tree. He turned his eyes to the tops of the other trees, the other homes empty of passers by. Gina realised that, like her, he was checking for anyone who could see them, though she wasn't prepared for what he did next.

He purred quietly, coming closer; his feline presence was masculine. He showed only an ounce of dominance before kneeling down and licking her foot, the buds of the tongue scraping across her skin.

Oh.

His tongue was rough and sand-papery against the open top of her sandal, and Gina was glad that he didn't look up and see her knitted eyebrows and parted lips before she was able to wipe the surprised grimace off her face. The fact that her feet were the one part of her body that was absurdly ticklish didn't help either.

She maintained her poise with an effort, and swallowed to clear her throat.

"Get up." she ordered Koolkal a moment later, then softened her voice a little. "I'll see you a bit later. Just act as if everything's normal, and meet me at Cal's house on the eve of the 30th."
    The shaking of his frame shared outwardly his experience of a shiver going down his spine. Whether it was from pleasure or fear was uncertain. But Gina could easily speculate Koolkal to enjoy a mixture of the two more than anything else.

"Koolkal," Gina added, suddenly remembering something as the silky black Bayn'gül turned to leave. "About Manisha's honour...what does someone normally have to do to get an honour from the First Sister?" The Bayn'gül's tail swiped once in a smooth pacing.

"Give to something great in the sciences, or" he tapped the side of his skull, "the mind" His expression to her was curious but he turned to walk away.

After watching Koolkal leave, Gina climbed back up to Manisha's door, knocking for the other girls to let her in when the touch pad didn't respond to an experimental push of her palm. She wondered if it was fingerprint sensitive or something even more alien as she stepped inside.

"Good. All good." she said, a little quickly, in response to Cal's raised eyebrows and Manisha's furrowed ones. "Shall we finish up here so we can get Taar and Mita to their training?"

Cal nodded, her furrowed brows betraying her curiosity. The redhead would fill her in later, she knew.

Gina glanced out of the window, where the light through the trees was turning from gold to red; creeping towards the sunset where Koolkal had promised to meet the two kittens. Gina stifled a yawn - now that the light was fading, their 18 hour rollercoaster of a day was really catching up with her. Catching the movement, Cal yawned too; curious, how those things seemed to be contagious. She gave a little shudder as that word played through her mind, thinking again of her fear that whatever Koolkal was afflicted with might have been passed on to Gina. But if they were involved, as it seemed, surely it musn't be. Koolkal wouldn't risk her like that, or the kittens, surely.

She yawned again. It seemed ludicrous, to think of sleeping in their situation - but if they were stuck here for two days more, at least, then sleep they must.

"Come on, little ones," she said, smiling at the kittens; who seemed as alert as ever. Cats were nocturnal, she supposed. Her affection toward them came easier than it had at the beginning, and the spoiled girl was surprised to find herself feeling regret at the thought of leaving them. The kittens treated her with a familial care she had never known from her birth mother, and it was something that would be difficult to lose.

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Two suns and moons had passed, and the three women had managed to copy the behavior of the others around them enough to continue blending in. Taar and Mita seemed tense, though they were keeping quiet about it. Their animistic instincts guided them to uncertainty within their dome home. But their lives continued, with the kittens leaving for hours to train with Koolkal and then returning - coming back stronger and more mature by the day. They had presented kills for Cal to see; strange alien things looking similar to squirrels, but with prickly fur and long teeth. Each time the children had skinned the catch and prepared it for eating. Gina had thought that the meat tasted oddly like the beef jerky Aiden had introduced her to, shortly after her move to America.

On Gina's suggestion, they had all spent the last two nights sleeping over at Cal's house. The intention was to keep them all safely together, although it also had the added bonus of not forcing them to climb up and down the gigantic trees. Luckily, staying with Cal did not seem to have raised any suspicions or reactions of note from the Bayn'gül. During the hours that the children were out with Koolkal, the three young women had busied themselves with reading Cal's books, exploring the town and engaging hesitantly with the villagers, to try and get a clearer picture of their places here on Kysmaet.

From the books, it seemed that the Bayn'gül were a passionate yet very oppressed culture, held back by the Enemy Within and by the hostile nature of the planet around them. One thing that Gina had noticed was that the Bayn'gül only seemed to consider history or cautionary tales to be worthy of being written down. All other lore was passed down orally, from teacher to student - and that apparently included herb lore. Gina considered it lucky that no-one had come to them looking for the herbs stored around hers and Manisha's houses. Because if they had, we'd be totally fucked.

Travelling around the town with the others, Gina had been surprised to note that the Bayn'gül seemed to be giving her slightly more respect than Cal - which she found odd, considering Cal was the one who was "Nurturing" Taar and Mita. Eventually, from the way a couple of the cat-people addressed her, she had worked out that she was something called a Gatherer. This apparently meant that she could safely navigate the jungles around the village, to gather herbs and other useful plants without being killed by the dangerous wildlife that had claimed a number of the Bayn'gül. Without the benefit of their alter-egos' experience, the girls had immediately resolved to stay within the safety of the village unless they really had to do otherwise.

If the Bayn'gül were respectful of Cal and Gina, they seemed to view Manisha as a nuisance. They smiled and tended to her needs, but the sense of forbearance was definitely there. It had irritated Manisha to the point that she had suggested wearing her First Sister's honour openly. Cal and Gina had initially agreed, in the hope that they could find out more about the First Sister and the imminent Cleansing. But when the first few Bayn'gül had responded with bafflement and a distinct air of grinning and bearing, Gina had made Manisha take the necklace off.

"The First Sister's going to be arriving tomorrow!" she had reasoned.

"Tho?" Manisha had replied, irritably.

"So," Gina had countered, as patiently as she could manage, "No-one else around here seems to know that you had it. What if your other self isn't supposed to have it, and the First Sister calls you out on it while she's here?"

Manisha had relented, albeit with bad grace. None of the three girls had been particularly cheerful over the last two days, apart from a few moments of levity with the children, and the occasional ice-breaking joke or story of home. Gina was worried about them being found out, and by the fact that they hadn't found any more symbol clues despite being here for several days. Cal meanwhile had been getting more and more stressed about what they were going to do with the kittens. She had gently probed to see if Taar and Mita were close to any other Bayn'gül, to see if there was someone else who could look after them in her stead, but none were forthcoming. Asking about the kittens' biological parents had only depressed the children's moods, as the girls learned that they had both been killed in some sort of hunting accident. Cal had cringed at that.

Gina stacked the last of the clean dishes on the rack next to the sink, glad of the distraction that the simple manual task provided. "We'd better go and check on Nisha." she said to Cal, who was drying the dishes on a chequered cloth.

Cal's response was a weary nod. She placed the plate she was drying on the pile beside the dish rack, and transferred them to their place in a corner cupboard.

If mother could see me now, doing maid work and tending to an invalid, she thought, though these sorts of thoughts were coming to her less and less frequently now. Although in reality it had been mere days since she'd been pulled from her home, her former life was beginning to feel a lot further in the past than that.

Gina rolled down her sleeves and wrapped her arms subconsciously around her stomach. One of the more mundane problems that being thrown between universes had caused her was that she didn't have access to her pill, which she had last taken the morning she had been yanked out of West Hills. Now, three days later, she could feel the twinge of approaching cramps in her lower abdomen. Small inconvenience though it was, on top of everything else it was enough to convince her that whoever was doing this to them fundamentally hated her guts.

Then again, she thought glumly, Manisha had it worse. Whatever drugs she had been hitting back in her home universe, the Greek girl was going through some extremely nasty withdrawal symptoms. She had been irritable on the second morning, twitchy by the evening, and today Cal and Gina had woken up to find her in shivering sweats. It had gotten to the point that
    Manisha was scaring the children; luckily Taar and Mita were gone for now, but they would be returning soon from training with Koolkal and Gina didn't relish what would come after that. She had briefly considered giving Manisha the apercon that Mita had identified to her, but without knowledge of the safe dosage or even how to administer it, she wasn't willing to take the risk. Cal, for her part, had been horrified at first - thinking that Manisha had been afflicted with some strange disease until Gina had explained something of drugs and withdrawals, and the young princess had been placated at the knowledge that Manisha's state was, hopefully, temporary.

Gina and Cal crossed the hall, and were hit by a strong acidic smell as soon as they opened the door to Cal's bedroom. Held inside, Manisha was a mess of sweat and bucket-held vomit. Cal wrinkled her nose in disgust, a hand moving to cup her nostrils, though it did little to block the smell. She hung back in the doorway, sidestepping to allow Gina clear access - the redhead had shown over the last day that she had far better knowledge of how to deal with their companions' state than Cal; who'd never so much as held a friend's hair from their face during a drunken purge. Blood she was used to, though she'd never had to clean it; vomit was an entirely different matter.

"Oh jeez." Gina said with a grimace. She sidestepped around the bed and sat down on the edge next to the bedside table. "How are you feeling, Manisha?"

The poor girl's only responses were mumbles and whimpers. Gina picked up the glass of water they had left on the bedside table and closed Manisha's clammy fingers around it. "Here, try and drink this. We don't want you getting dehydrated."

Manisha sipped at the water, but shivered as it went down.

"Can you watch her for a sec?" Gina asked Cal, as he picked up the bucket and carried it away to empty its pale, lumpy contents down the toilet. It reminded her of looking after Izzy after she got really wasted, and to be fair Izzy had returned the favour at least once.

The youngest of the group followed Gina with her gaze as she left the room, before turning her head to look awkwardly at Manisha. As the bedridden woman groaned, Cal took a few steps toward her. Stiffly, she patted the other girl on the shoulder.

"You'll be alright," she said in what she hoped was a reassuring tone; affection had become easier for her with the kittens, but she was having trouble counteracting their bad start with Manisha. It was still a relatively new concept to the royal; she'd never really had friends, until Gina.

Gina returned after she had flushed the vomit away and washed out the bucket, and crossed over to the window. She pushed it open to let some fresh air into the room. The market outside was quieter than it had been on the previous days, she noted with foreboding. As a consequence of having to stay inside and look after Manisha,
    the Cleansing had not been seen by them, but its echos were visible as a noticeable amount of people were missing, including the orange-coloured cat woman who had greeted them shortly after their arrival. It was unsettling, to think of how the female Bayn'gül had shown no signs of discomfort or fear when they had talked to her. Then again, Gina thought, Why would she have admitted it to us?

Manisha suddenly started screaming and crying manic things, her begging cries given to either young woman who would listen to her. Cal's hand shot away from the woman's shoulder, and she looked to Gina with a horrified expression, her small mouth open in shock.

"Woah, woah, shit!" Gina exclaimed as the glass of water went flying, and joined Cal at the bed to take hold of one of Manisha's hands. "You're alright Manisha. You're okay. Look at me. We're here. We're right here with you."

In dire straights, Manisha grabbed onto Gina's wrist and forearm. Beads of sweat stuck to the sober woman, sticky against her pale skin. Manisha's brown eyes, which had been opening and closing, were wide with desperation.

"Pleath make the pain thtop, give me what I need!" Manisha was starting to scream, violently shaking Gina's arm in the process.

"Manisha, STOP!" Cal cried, reaching out to grab at the girls' arm in an attempt to stop her manhandling of Gina. Manisha's chills and quivers ceased with a single groan from her lips as she threw herself back on the bed and stared at the ceiling, breathing heavily to express herself instead.

Cal looked dumbfounded from the suddenly quiet woman to Gina, who was mirroring her own round-mouthed look of surprise. The princess swallowed.

"Tell us what you need." she said firmly, her eyes fixed on the wide-eyed Manisha.

"Wait!" Gina said suddenly, slapping down the hand that Cal was holding out towards Manisha. "What're you doing?"

She looked in concern between Cal and the unnaturally rigid Manisha.

"That's not normal. How're you doing that?"

"I... I'm not doing anything!" Cal said, flustered.

"Then how do you explain that?" Gina hissed, jerking her head towards Manisha, who was still lying stiff as a board and panting loudly.

"I need drugth." the Greek girl belatedly answered Cal's question, after a long delay.

"No, you don't!" Cal shot, confusion and a bit of fright at Gina's words turning into frustration. "That's the last thing you need right now, you need rest!"

Manisha blinked at her, then abruptly turned over and closed her eyes, although she continued to moan quietly.

"Stop it!" Gina half-shouted. "Whatever you're doing to her, stop it!"

"I'm not doing anything..." Cal repeated, shaking her head as Gina leaned over Manisha as if to check that she was still breathing. "I'm not fae, I can't be! My mother is...." She paused, the events of the days before she'd been swept from Serroc, and her home, flashing through her mind. Her mother, no. But her father...

"I can't be," she repeated, her voice less certain. But it wasn't the first time something like this had happened, was it? The kittens had so quickly gone from suspicious to cheerful, when she had told them to. She wasn't unaccustomed to people listening when she commanded them, but this...

Gina was gently shaking Manisha's shoulder, as the Greek girl rolled over and clutched the duvet hard to her chin. "Manisha? You okay?"

"Fuck off." Manisha mumbled, screwing her eyes shut and shivering slightly. "Wanna thleep."

Gina looked from Manisha to Cal and back again, trying very hard not to jump to conclusions. Back in her world, messing with people's free will was Their trademark. But of course, she wasn't in her world any more, and Cal was from somewhere else again. She swallowed.

"Alright, back up a sec." she said, sitting back while leaving a concerned hand resting on Manisha. "What's fae?"

"People with... magic," Cal said, her voice dropping to a habitual whisper at the last word. "They're shunned, in Serroc. You're not allowed to use it, even having it is dangerous! Mother would kill me if she found out!"

She shot Gina a frightened look, her wide eyes making it perfectly clear that she did not mean the statement figuratively.

"I didn't mean to."

"Okay, I believe you." Gina relented, taking a breath and tugging at the hair that fell across her shoulder. "But...how dangerous are we talking? What did it just do to Nisha?"

"Oh," Cal looked at the other woman, then back at Gina. "I meant dangerous for the one using it. I wouldn't hurt her! I...I don't know what I did to her. There's lots of different kinds of fae...it seems like she just did what I told her to." She tried to remember if she'd ever met a fae like that before, but her experience with them was limited.

"I might have done it to Taar and Mita too - when we arrived, and I made them suspicious with my questions. I told them not to worry, and they were fine, all of a sudden."

"This is well fucked up." Gina said uneasily. She twisted her hands.

"How did you do it?" she asked, looking pensive. "I mean...can you control it?"

Cal chewed her lip. She didn't want to ostracize the girl; she knew all too well how fae could be cast aside by those that had been their friends.

"I don't know," she said honestly. "I just told her what to do, and she listened. But it's not always like that. I suppose I was worried, with her and the children, before. Maybe being emotional sets it off?"

It was certainly true that she'd lost some of her stiff self-control on this unexpected adventure. And she'd heard of fae before, whose magic flared up when they were angry, or frightened.

"Okay..." Gina said slowly, running a hand through her hair. "I'm not gonna lie, I really don't like the idea of messing with people's minds...but it's maybe better if you can control it rather than randomly firing it off, right?"

She exhaled a long breath and stood up, brushing down her loose robe and gathering her hair over one shoulder.

"Alright, let's test it. Tell me to do something."

"Oh...okay." Cal swallowed, looking decidedly uncomfortable with the idea. "Erm...sit down."

Gina blinked at her, and after a moment, shrugged. Cal chewed her lip, frowning.

"Sit down!" she said again, more forcefully this time, but the result was the same. She made a quiet, annoyed noise and shook her head.

"This is stupid - it's not going to work."

"Just try it again." Gina suggested. "Maybe think about how you were feeling when you said it to Nisha?"

"What good is magic if I can't even control it!?" Cal demanded. "What if I get angry, and make someone hurt themselves? Or hurt someone else?" Her lip was beginning to tremble, tears prickling the girls eyes. She'd never asked for this, or wanted it! It wasn't right, it wasn't fair!

"I need to be able to do this, or who knows what I could make someone do!? Come on, just sit DOWN!"

Gina sat down cross-legged, and looked thoughtful.

"Okay." she said, reaching down and tugging her right foot tighter against her left knee. "It's alright, what if..."

She looked down at her foot, and stared at it for a long moment.

"Fuck off!" she exclaimed, and tried to stand up so fast that she tangled her legs and fell down hard on her backside.

Cal's mouth dropped open as the redhead stood up on her second attempt. She looked up at her friend in shock. "It...it worked! Jump up and down! Spin in a circle! Clap!"

"Yeah it did!" Gina agreed in a shocked voice, as she spread her arms and executed a twirl in the middle of the bedroom floor. As she turned back to face Cal and brought her hands hard together, her expression changed to one of dawning comprehension.

"Hey!" she complained, "Stop it!"

Her cheeks still wet with her frustrated tears, Cal began to giggle. The heavy emotions of their adventure had been weighing on the teen more than she realised - it was the first time she'd laughed since she'd been torn from her home, and once the child started, she found it impossible to stop. Her laugh grew louder and more hysterical until she was crying again - at first, tears of laughter - but they soon gave way to real tears.

"Hey, hey." Gina said gently, and Cal felt the older girl sit down next to her and wrap her arms around her. "It's alright. It's just a test..."

"This...all of this...it's too much!" Cal forced out between sobs, rubbing furiously at her eyes in an attempt to staunch the flow. "Who is doing this to us? What do they get out of it?"

"I don't know." Gina admitted as she linked her hands around Cal's upper arm. "Maybe they've got a plan for something, or maybe they really do want our help. Or maybe they're just fucking with us..."

She rested her cheek on the top of Cal's head.

"You know, I asked the same thing back in Austere. But in the end it didn't matter. They were hurting people, and I wasn't just going to let that happen. We're not going to let that happen now."

Cal gave a shuddering sigh, propping her elbows on her knees, and her face on her fists. "Well, we've just got to carry on, don't we? It's not like we have any other choice."

"Until we meet them." Gina said firmly. She leaned forward to stay with Cal as the young princess hunched over. "Do you know what this means? We work on this some more until you can control it, and don't have to worry about setting it off by accident, or around people who don't like fae. And when we get to the end of this bloody trail, you tell whoever wrote the note to put everybody back where they belong."

Cal blinked, peering at the other girl over her shoulder.

"I... I could, couldn't I?" It was the first suggestion that her magic could be a positive thing, and the princess gave Gina a wobbly smile. And if she did go home.. maybe she could change things there, too.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 06-07-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast