Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [M] Shades of Grey - IC

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Kimmie, Shift, Mai

"Sorry about what happened to your friend." Kim said as she unsheathed a sterile stitching needle, unsure how to broach the subject but feeling that it couldn't go unaddressed.

Maria shook her head. "Don't be. Emma was a bitch. She was always bullying the other juvies."

The teenager breathed out slowly, wincing as she watched Kim thread the needle in and out of her shoulder. Kim had numbed the wound with morphia gel, but the sight alone was clearly unsettling her.

"I thought I was a goner there." the young fixer added. "Shit, the way those two were lookin' at me..."

Alexi and Anais were no longer with them, having gone with Primus to drop the refugees at whatever safehouse the Kingsman had in mind. The others were now sheltering in an underpass, beneath the silent 8-lane arterial that ran straight from Vaxanhive to distant Remsburg. It was nearly midnight now, and the overcast sky had settled into cold, crisp clouds reflecting the orange glow of the hive. A portable lumo-lamp placed on the floor gave the group light, though little warmth. Quintus was prowling around the rockrete bridge struts, looking for a loose paving slab that apparently hid one of the Kingsmen's weapon caches.

"Done." Kim said, sitting back to inspect her work before reaching for a triangular bandage. "Just hold still now and I'll sling it up. How much does it hurt?"

"Like a motherfrakker." the young fixer answered, pushing her curly hair out of her eyes with her working hand. "I don't suppose you guys have any kalma on you? My heart's still going like a frakkin' mag-lev."

Shift shook her head, frowning. "That stuff's poison. Dulls the reflexes. Don't use it." She looked up, still frowning. "Pain is an illusion of the senses. Despair, an illusion of the mind."

"Thanks, I'll be sure to tell my pain that." Maria snarked.

Kim saw Maria grimace at the words. Something like indignation twisted in her stomach, making her feel compelled to justify them.

"People can take strength from different things, Maria." she admonished gently. "That could be a person, or a weapon, or it could be words."

Maria looked up at Shift. "Alright, sorry. But words ain't gonna do it for me right now."

Shift sighed. "I can remember silly phrases and useless advice, but not anything useful. Typical."

"I'd say that taking out those traffickers was pretty useful." Kim countered.

"And saving my ass." Maria chimed in gratefully, then hissed as Kim lifted her arm a little to thread the sling under it. "Ow! Watch it, will you?"

"There." Kim said a minute later, as she finished tying the sling behind Maria's neck. "That's the best I can do with my kit here, but you'll need a flash scan and a proper doctor to look at it. Is there a hospital nearby?"

"Down Pilgrim's Quarter." Maria indicated the direction with a jerk of her head. "It's full of roaches like, but it's the best we've got down here."

Kim grimaced. It would have to do.

"Soon as you feel up to it, we'd better take you there." She scowled. "Emperor knows what internal damage Alexi did when he was stamping all over you."

Maria made a face. "Emperor knows? What are you, some kind of Creed-thumper?"

"Kimmie's a priest." Quintus said quite calmly, as he reappeared with a dusty holdall. His teeth glinted in the lamp light as he offered the group an apologetic smile. "Sorry for eavesdropping - marksman's habit. I hear everything."

He dropped the holdall with a thump and sat down on top of it, unslinging his rifle and laying it over his knees. His eyes lingered in Kim's direction as he pulled out a small tin cleaning kit from a breast pocket, and snapped it open.

"Not a regular hive preacher though." he continued. "A field medic, and you know your way around a gun...I'm going to guess missionary." He grinned again. "Feral clans out in the Terrigan jungle, maybe?"

Kim looked at him uncertainly, shocked that he had been able to work out something that was still half a mystery to herself. She racked her brain to try and recall the so-vivid image that had hit her the last time Quintus had mentioned it. The farmstead; the sun beating down. Had it been here on Vaxanide? No, somewhere else. Adhara.

Stay a while. I'm Cian by the way.

She remembered staggering as she was pushed through a rickety wooden door, and the wood-on-wood clap as it was pulled shut behind her. She remembered tottering around, unsteady from the native grain liquor which she had drunk far too much of. She remembered banging on the flimsy wood of the door, half laughing and half raging at the people who were stubbornly holding it shut from the other side.

"You're not coming out until you two talk!" someone had shouted, over the music and drunken singing that was still carrying on raucously outside.

Emperor damn you, you devious frakking little shits. she remembered thinking, and only just avoided saying it out loud. Normally she was a very good actress, but she had been letting her guard slip of late - and copious amounts of alcohol had very nearly done the rest. She couldn't mention the Emperor's name - not yet. The worry disappeared almost as fast as it had come, as if it were a passing fancy and not a holy duty.

Now, she remembered thinking, if only she had been able to keep her mouth similarly shut around the campfire, instead of blathering on to the others about Cian this and Cian that, like some sort of starstruck juvie. She stumbled around and nearly fell, and had to steady herself against the cracked plaster wall. Cian, who was almost as drunk as she was, had managed to grope his way to the worn sofa and collapse into it. He blinked hard at her a couple of times, as if trying to clear his vision. Something about it struck Kim as incredibly funny, and she doubled over, laughing helplessly.

"Well," Cian shrugged, clumsily slapping the empty seat next to him. "You might as well stay a while."

She had stayed - and she had done rather a lot more besides.

They were on a sun-drenched hill, overlooking the sacred groves. The fishbone skeleton of the Forbidden City loomed in the distance - the city which they would have to eventually reclaim. The time was close now; after a year Kim and her fellow missionaries had learned all they were going to of the natives' ways and beliefs. The deacon was anxious to begin shaping those beliefs towards righteous worship of the holy God-Emperor. Once the indigens were rid of their superstitious fears, the cities could be resettled, and Adhara would once again be a productive world of the Imperium.

To be the key to such an important work, the returning of an entire planet to the Emperor's fold, should have fired every dutiful and patriotic nerve in Kim's body. But somehow, the pride felt forced.

"What would you think if I had to go away for a while?" she asked Cian, her fingers laced through his and her head resting on his shoulder.

She shouldn't have been here with him, and she definitely shouldn't have been asking questions that hinted at the deacon's plan. And yet she felt compelled. Perhaps she was hoping for an answer that would ease her conscience, but if so she didn't receive it.

"What?" Cian shifted around to face her, and Kim leaned back from his shoulder. The man's expression was the exact look of puzzled hurt that she had feared to see. It cut her even deeper than she had been prepared for. "Go where? Why?"

Kim forced a laugh, and adopted a soothing tone. "I was thinking of maybe tagging along with one of the market caravans next month, that's all." She lied to cover herself. "I've never seen Hill Town."

Cian visibly relaxed. "Spirits be good, Kimmie. I thought you were talking about going back to Wandering."

"No, of course not!" Kim laughed, and rested her cheek back on his shoulder. "I want to stay." That wasn't a lie.

And the worrying thing was that it was possible. Missionaries disappeared out in the wilds all the time - it was a known and embraced risk of their calling. No-one would come after her. She blinked. Was it blasphemy to entertain such thoughts?

What is the point of faith if it's not tested? She was familiar with the words, but right now they sounded more like a platitude.

She was on a rickety bridge over the river Vaeser, summoning the courage to take the last step. The last step she needed to make before she went back for the travelling supplies she had already hidden in the woods.

Even now she hesitated. The deacon called phase 2 to begin on the next full moon. You're out of time! She needed to return to the waiting shuttle. She and the other missionaries were to reappear in the sacred groves across Adhara, in a blaze of radiant light. Kim was to be dropped near a village hundreds of miles from here, where the natives would not recognise her face. That was what she needed to do. It was always about what she needed to do, not what she wanted to do.

She let out a shuddering gasp; cuffed at her eyes, and gripped the guard-rail hard as she looked down at the churning water. She took another deep breath.

The daemon wears an angel's face. she remembered telling herself, rigidly. Cian was no daemon, but the temptation to abandon her duty to the Emperor was. You stupid little girl! Everything he thinks he knows about you is a lie! With savage purpose, she kicked her foot through the rotted planks at the side of the bridge. There was a crack as they tumbled into the river and disappeared amongst the white foam. Kneeling by the jagged hole, Kim hooked her sleeve around an exposed nail, and tugged until her tunic ripped, leaving a shred of material snagged on the metal. She looked down at it for a long moment.

It's not too late to change your mind.

Yes it was. And so, steeling herself, she hurried back across the bridge and into the trees. Kim the Wanderer was dead. It was time for Raeden, the Prophet of the Emperor's Word, to be born.

Stay.

Why hadn't she? The Emperor's name was an insistent tug at the back of her mind, but the pain of the memory was raw, immediate, visceral. If she had felt then as she felt now, then how had she been able to bear her decision?

Kim blinked, and realised that there were tears in her eyes. She rubbed them away under the pretext of scratching her nose, and hoped that the others didn't notice. She felt responsible for the others, and now she knew why. She was their missionary. That meant she had to set an example.

But an example for what? For the Emperor? Like on regressed Adhara, it was clear that he held no power down here. Not in the abandoned slums that clumped below the hive proper, at any rate. And like on Adhara, he did not hold a monopoly on compassion. All the mercy and justice she had seen since waking up on the riverside concrete had come from the Kingsmen. All she had of the Emperor was a silver sunburst, and a warning about daemons and angel's faces that went against the strongest feeling she had had since her amnesiac rebirth.

Shift looked away from Kim. She thought she had seen. . . it was probably nothing. And whatever was there, wasn't for her.

Quintus didn't seem to have caught Kim's momentary discomfort. He was looking at Shift.

"You were definitely some sort of professional." he mused, wagging a finger at her thoughtfully. "But you..." He looked at Mai, and paused. "I have to admit I have no idea who you might have been."

She looked back at him blankly, outwardly seeming not to hear him. Yet in her mind’s eye the world imploded and another took its place. Images blurred as they rushed past her. Here a forest, no, a tundra. There, the towering ruins of a crumbled empire. And here, tunnels that swallowed light like the darkness of space.

She blinked and lifted her arm, the rough-spun brown cloth little more than a rag on her arm. It was not a bandage; something told her that it was all they could manage. They. She looked around and realized that she was not alone. A jungle, she was in a jungle somewhere. Others surrounded her, their skins tanned by the relentless sun where it broke through the leaves overhead, beating down on their exposed skin. Men and women, young and old. She knew them, but could put no names to them. Their faces, their entire forms, were present, but blurred like a smeared pic-capture whenever she tried to focus on them.

Pict-capture. She knew it was something she didn’t know, didn’t understand. Yet somehow she knew it and understood it. A figment of her imagination? A memory? Not from before, certainly. Then after? Was there an after? Looking along the path as the group moved around her, she somehow knew that there was little after for many of them. They murmured quietly or said nothing at all, as if they knew what was about to happen. There would be no after for them, any of them.

She heard something, something familiar, but she could not place it. A sound? It was someone speaking. A name? She turned and saw one of the figures moving toward her, a blur like the others. It was repeating the same sound again and again and she knew somehow it was calling her name. Reaching her, it stopped. Then it reached out a hand to grasp her arm...

And the world snapped back into place. Well, the world of cold metal and sickly lights and the man asking her something. Something about herself. Something even she did not know. She lifted her arm and looked at the fine, brightly colored cloth that hung from it. Looking up at him from where she sat, she said, “Mmm.”

"I still don't get it." Maria winced as she leaned back against the rockrete bridge pillar. She tilted her head to look up at Shift. "Not to sound ungrateful or nothin', but why would folk like you stick your necks out for me, right after you iced all those smugglers?"

Good question Shift thought to herself.

“Because I gave my word.” She finally said. “I made you a promise, and if we don’t keep our word we are no better than the Refuge who lies to refugees and makes them slaves.”

"We don't..." Maria protested, looking alarmed. "Here. Vamassian's a bastard but he's not a slaver. We help them get into the hive so they can have a better life!"

Quintus was looking at Maria calmly, but there was something venomous behind his eyes.

Maria's jaw worked silently for a minute, but then she rallied. "They send our people up there too!" she said, raising her good arm to jab an accusing finger towards Quintus. "My brother said that Liza K went uphive just a few weeks back, to work in some noble's villa."

"Liza K." Quintus seemed to nod to himself, before fixing Maria with an extremely cold stare. "I assume you're talking about Eliza Krikorian, daughter of Tavit and Emma? Yeah, I recall they came to us a few months ago - a man in a cross jacket kept meeting Eliza after scholem, giving her little bits of jewellery and stuff. They couldn't get him to leave her alone. And then before we could find him, she runs away from home..."

Quintus finished cleaning his rifle and racked the bolt with a savage snap-click.

"As I recall, Eliza was fourteen standard - a bit young to be making these decisions for herself, no? Anais' blood is protecting you, Maria Nazarian, but if I see you back with the Refuge when we hit them, I swear I'll give the Red King your skull. I refuse to believe you knew nothing about any of this."

Maria seemed to wilt, and her face crumpled. She rubbed at the cross tattoo on her palm, as if it were a stain that she could remove.

"You can't get out." she whispered after a long moment, avoiding everyone's eyes. "No matter what you hear. The...rumours. If you try to run they find you - and your family. Half the reason I joined is I was already a target 'cause of Rhen..."

"What about the enforcers?" Kim asked. Every hive was supposed to have enforcers - pious lawkeepers who were supposed to protect citizens from the kind of monstrous exploitation the Refuge were inflicting. It was one of the scattergun of facts that were slowly coming back to her. "Could you go to them?"

Both Maria and Quintus twisted their mouths, and Maria looked at her as if she had made a particularly obvious mistake as she cuffed at her eyes.

"We're underhivers, Kimmie." Quintus said. Knowing of her amnesia his voice was level, although there was still a touch of accusation behind it. "We're chaff. The only time the Hive Gendarmes take notice of us is when we put a foot out of line. No offence to you, Kimmie, but no Imperial I ever met treated us like the human brothers your Emperor insists we are."

He levered himself up off the duffel bag and unzipped it.

"That's why I joined the Kingsmen. The Red King isn't a forgiving god, but he doesn't lie to you. And he offers justice."

The marksman folded down the sides of the bag, and unveiled an arsenal of old but eminently serviceable weaponry. There was an array of switchblades and PDF-surplus bayonets, mass-produced pistols and stubby, long-handled automatics, and extra magazines for each.

"Frakkin' hell." Maria muttered as she looked at it all.

"Don't you worry." Quintus murmured coolly as he scooped up a pistol and screwed a chunky silencer onto the end of the barrel. "None of this is for you or your brother. I'll stand by Primus and Shift's word."

“But, bearing all that in mind, I still wouldn’t recommend getting in our way from now on." Shift put in. "This is only going to end one way.” She smiled, relishing what was to come. She was eager to get moving again, get the blood pumping, start hunting and killing again. She felt like time was slipping away from her.

"The hotel on Mertesari's right up against the walls of the spire, if I remember right." Quintus said thoughtfully as he knelt down next to the arsenal. "Has its own walled grounds. I'll take us somewhere where we can get a good look."

He looked at Shift, appraisingly.

"Primus said you hacked your way out of Melina's place - how would you go about storming a bigger building?"

As he spoke, a loud roar assaulted Mai's ears. It was sudden and fierce enough to make her start, but no-one else seemed to notice until a moment later, when a screaming prometheum engine crescendoed above their heads, changed pitch as it ripped past them, and then dopplered away into the distance.

"Frakkin' boy racers." Maria growled, looking up at the underside of the arterial bridge.

"Some rich uphiver's kid must have bribed them to open the gates." Quintus theorised, paying the disturbance no more mind as he turned back to Shift. "So what are your thoughts, professional?"

“Flatterer.” Shift smiled. “I'd be willing to bet the sub levels and the walls will be too tight to squeeze through, and they will have enough bodies to shoot us down in a frontal assault.” She stood up and picked up an automatic autopistol, looking it over appraisingly, before frowning and putting it back.

“I have no idea how to use that. Anyway, if it's up against the spire wall, we could scale down that into the compound, come in through the roof. It would be risky, but we don't have the manpower to bust our way in. We might get lucky with trying an entrance from below, but from above. . .I'd bet they would never see it coming."

"From above..." Quintus mused. He broke into a grin, his pearly teeth glinting in the lamplight. "I like it. Let's get to that vantage point and scope it out."

Abner, Rhenat

Rhenat still couldn't get Vamassian's smile out of his head. He had a vivid memory of a matching one being worn by a stern, matronly woman, at the same time as he proudly emerged from the storm drains clutching a wriggling lizard with a missing toe and a blue ident tag around its neck. It was a smile that said I'm glad you're alive while all these people are around, but the minute we're alone you're getting such a hiding.

He cracked his knuckles, nervously. His brain was already scrambled and he didn't need anything making it worse. Just how hard had he hit his head out there anyway? He couldn't even remember the names of the two lanky, tattooed young men who had accosted him as soon as he had stepped into the bar.

Alright, he told himself, Don't frak it up, let everyone else do the talking...

The bar was an uneasy mix of the strange and the somehow familiar; a disorientating deja vu of faces, voices, and worn but good quality furniture. The air was hazy, and the smoke smelled of acrid lho and the sweeter, more pungent aroma of grinweed. One of the smirking youths in front of him had a floppy mop of dark hair; the other had buzzed his right back to the skull to give no distraction from a pugnacious face with cold blue eyes.

"Hear you gave those Red bastards a kicking, eh?" Floppy-Hair said, thumping Rhenat on the back hard enough to make him blink. "Takin' out the whole gang, even that frakker with the sword? That shit is bananas, mate!"

"Can't have been that great if Vamassian's still got the hero serving drinks." the other laughed.

Something about that pissed Rhenat off, and he scowled before he could stop himself. "Here, what does a guy have to do to get respect from you folk?"

"You could get us a drink?" suggested Buzz-Cut, putting an arm around Rhenat's shoulders and steering him towards the bar.

It was only then that Rhenat remembered that he was supposed to be collecting drinks for Vamassian and the newbies. He realised that Vamassian hadn't given him an order, and he experienced a moment of silent panic before the lady behind the bar bailed him out.

"Sam and Ellen want their usual, yeah Rhen?" she asked, pausing to toss her rusty hair out of her eyes and cock her head at him.

"Yeah," Rhenat answered, and nodded a bit too enthusiastically. "And for these two." He jerked his thumb to either side to indicate Floppy-Hair and Buzz-Cut.

"Just a pint for me, ta." said Floppy-Hair. Buzz-Cut merely twitched his chin upward to indicate the same.

Rhenat coughed into his hand. "Oh, yeah, and two for the new guys as well."

"Not three?" the barmaid repeated, and then shrugged. "I suppose the gear-heads don't do something as normal as drink."

As she busied herself with the bottles stacked on the back wall, Floppy-Hair and Buzz-Cut leaned their arms against the bar to watch her work.

Frak off, is that all I am around here? Rhenat thought as he looked around the bar to avoid his companions' eyes, A bloody waiter? Waking up amongst the blood and bodies at the warehouse had not been something he ever wanted to repeat, but somehow he had pictured himself being a bigger cog in this - the frak did they call it? - Refuge for out-hivers.

"Cheer up Rhen." said Floppy-Hair, and Rhenat turned to see that the other young man was already looking at him. "Everyone has to work their way up, just like 'Ria was working the corners for six months before Vamassian let her go meet the connect with Emma."

Rhenat didn't know who 'Ria and Emma were, so he just shrugged. Buzz-Cut growled as he picked his drink up off the bar, slopping a streak of foam down the side of the glass.

"That Emma needs a good railing." he growled. "She's so frakkin' full of herself." He paused to raise the straw-coloured beer to his lips and reduce its contents by a third. "I'd love to see what she looks like when she's full of me instead."

"Mate," Floppy-Hair grinned. "Half full, at best."

"Frak you." Buzz-Cut drawled, and used his free hand to punch his colleague in the arm. He took another drink, and paused to belch. "Are they even back yet? The frak are they doing out there?"

"Maybe they're meetin' up with Petrosyan after he's done his voodoo shit?" Floppy-Hair suggested, "Let him inspect the merchandise, you know?"

He turned to Rhenat and gave him a comforting slap on the back that he didn't fully understand.

"Don't worry, 'Ria'll be alright. The Reds are down and out, so who else could give them real trouble?"

Again, Rhenat didn't know who 'Ria was supposed to be to him, so he settled for pursing his lips in a determined frown and nodding. "Yeah. Right."

"You're movin' up in the world, mate." Floppy-Hair said, and bobbed his glass upwards in a toast in Rhenat's direction. "You didn' even bottle it like Narek and Tigran did. If the boss'll let you go fight the Reds and you come back alive from that shit, you'll be movin' up from Big Sam's tanna-boy in no time."

"Assuming he's not pissed off you didn' die like the meat shield you were supposed to be." Buzz-Cut grinned nastily, and both young men laughed.

Rhenat would have scowled again, but the name Big Sam sent a twinge through his stomach, and he found himself thinking again of Vamassian's shark-like smile. He sniffed, and cuffed at his nose.

"Tell you the truth mate," he confided in Floppy-Hair, "I can't wait to be away from him. He creeps me the frak out."

Floppy-Hair laughed, but Buzz-Cut frowned and slapped his colleague on the arm.

"Hey, Rhen." he said warningly. "Don't bad-mouth the new boss in front of everyone, eh? He might be a warper but someone'll tell him just to look good and you'll get a bullet in the head."

Rhenat's stomach dropped. "You what?"

Floppy-Hair's confused grimace told him that he had just made a bad error, but once again he was saved by the distraction of the door to the bar room swinging open, shooting a loud creak through the smoke-hazed air. The smoke almost seemed to part like a theatrical curtain as the angular, silk-clad figure of Vamassian ambled into the room, flanked by Abner and the blonde knife-woman whose name Rhenat had forgotten. He had trouble taking his eyes off her - she had a gymnast's body under her leather jacket, paired with a cat's eyes and a conjurer's hands. She seemed angry about something, and was toying with the hilt of her sickle knife.

Frakkin' hell, Rhenat found himself thinking. I'd nail that - if she didn't look like she'd nail me to a wall first...

"Drinks, Rhen." Floppy-Hair hissed out the side of his mouth, and Rhenat got a hold of himself just in time, reaching for the glasses that the barmaid had earmarked for Vamassian and Ellen.

"Thanks, Rhen." the Refuge's new leader nodded, before casting an eye up and down Rhenat's blood-spattered cargoes. "Go get yourself changed before the duke gets here. Burn the old stuff; you know the drill."

Rhenat did not, but he nodded to buy time.

"I'll go with you." Buzz-Cut grunted. "I need to drop a line to Aram's mother."

Vamassian clicked his tongue, and sipped thoughtfully at his glass. "Nara can give you the full list. Reassure the families that we're going to take care of them." He exhaled. "And get the girls ready, will you? The duke will be here in an hour and his entourage expect distractions."

"Distractions?" Abner asked, creasing his pasty, pock-marked face.

Vamassian smiled easily and passed the new recruit his drink. "That's the beauty Abner. Gems, drugs, proscribed items - you can only sell them once. People you can sell over and over again."

Abner cocked his head. "I thought you were protecting people?"

Vamassian frowned, as if he saw no contradiction. "We are. But people have to earn their keep, right? And some of them will even get to move on to a better life uphive."

The leader's fingertips were tapping up and down the glass - index, middle, ring, pinkie, back again - just like on the sofa arm. Abruptly, he wheeled back towards the door, gesturing animatedly for Abner to pick up the spare glasses.

"Come with me, Abner. We owe our friends drinks." He smiled easily. "Your timing couldn't be better, you know. The duke knows what I am, but he won't suspect you."

Rhenat gulped and exhaled quietly as he watched Vamassian's back retreat out of the room. He felt a tight craving in his chest, but didn't realise what it was for until his hand automatically found a crumpled packet of lho sticks in his pocket.

"You guys got a lighter?" he asked Floppy-Hair and Buzz-Cut.

Buzz-Cut thumped him on the back. "In a minute. We've got shit to do."

He downed the rest of his drink and sloped off towards the door. Figuring that the other youth knew where he was going, Rhenat followed. Buzz-Cut didn't seem inclined to talk further as they exited the bar and stomped up two flights of stairs, with faded carpets and chipped enamel handrails. Through a set of double doors at the top was what Rhenat assumed to be an accommodation wing of the old hotel, with rows of identical hardwood doors ranked up on either side of the corridor. There was a long, jagged crack in the ceiling plaster, and the lumoglobe closest to the door was fizzing and flickering. The thing that immediately drew Rhenat's eye however were the two men idling at the end of the corridor, hands in the pockets of their cross-emblazoned jackets and stubber pistols openly carried on their belts.

"Need some eye-candy for the visitors?" the older of the two men asked, evidently expecting them.

Buzz-Cut jerked his head. "Yeah."

"Boys or birds?"

"Just birds."

The man dug around in his jacket pocket and retrieved a fistful of keys. He jangled over to one of the hardwood doors and fumbled for a moment with a padlock below the handle. It was only then that Rhenat realised that all the doors in the corridor had been drilled and refitted with padlocks. The guard hooked the padlock off with a rattle and pushed the door open carelessly, leaving it to swing back on its hinges. As he ambled away, Rhenat peered past him and saw that the room beyond had been converted into some sort of changing room, with several dressing tables shoved up against the far wall. There was a full length mirror to complement the oval glasses that sat above each dresser, although Rhenat noticed that one of its bottom corners sported a crack. To one side stood a metal clothes rack, hung with a variety of short and long dresses.

While Rhenat was preoccupied, the man with the keys had slouched over to the other side of the corridor and clicked open one of the other padlocks. "Take your pick." he invited Rhenat in a bored voice, stepping back and resting his wrist on his holstered stubber. The second, younger guard grinned at him.

Rhenat poked his head through the door, and was greeted by a smell of must. He saw that the walls of the individual rooms had been knocked through to form one long dormitory, leaving the bathrooms as small cubicles, and some of the tables and chairs had been sandwiched together. Dirty plates and cups were stacked on two of them, as if waiting to be taken away. Six or seven beds stood in various states of rumpled disorder. The windows were locked closed, which Rhenat supposed explained the musty smell, and they had all been repainted black, leaving the dusty lumoglobes hanging from the ceiling as the only illumination. The dingy dormitory was occupied by about a dozen young women and half as many young boys, all dressed in grubby loungewear. They sat in ones and twos at the tables and on the beds, but none of them were talking to each other. In fact they looked oddly frozen, as if they had stopped whatever they were doing when they heard the padlock click. They looked back at Rhenat with studiously neutral expressions.

Rhenat was no good at guessing ages, but if pressed he would have placed the kids as ranging between their early teens and perhaps a year older than himself. There were three tanned outhiver girls, several more with the earthy-brown skin and curly hair that was common in hive Remsburg, and a few dark-eyed, olive boys and girls who must have been from even further afield. There were even two with faces pale and fine-boned enough to have passed for Vaxan uphivers. Most of them looked underfed, but despite their thin frames and ratty clothing, one thing that all of them had in common was that they were all stunningly attractive.

Rhenat cuffed his nose. He could appreciate a pretty figure as well as anyone else, if not more, but the surreal situation stole any eroticism from the moment. He must have hesitated for slightly too long, because Buzz-Cut huffed down his nose and shoved him impatiently out of the way.

"You, you and you." he stated, pointing at three of the young women seemingly at random. He considered for a second, then indicated a fourth. "Actually, you an' all. There's always one greedy bastard. Come on, get movin' and get your kit on."

He thumped the doorframe with his fist for emphasis.

The four young women stood up silently and filed out of the dormitory into the dressing room. Rhenat jumped back hurriedly to get out of their way. The first one through winked at Rhenat as she caught his eye, but the two following her looked almost bored. The girl bringing up the rear, who was by far the youngest of the four, actively avoided his gaze. Rhenat cracked his knuckles and looked away uneasily, though the younger of the two guards leaning against the wall next to him seemed to have no such reservations. He craned his head to one side to get a better view of the last girl as she passed him, and whistled appreciatively as he aimed a hard swipe of his hand across the back of her flannel shorts. The girl flinched, but otherwise didn't respond as she shuffled into the dressing room and pulled the door closed behind her.

"Lucky bastards, eh?" the young guard grinned, pressing his tongue up against his front teeth. He turned to Rhenat when his older companion seemed indifferent. Rhenat got the feeling that he was supposed to laugh and agree, but all he could manage was a grimace. The fact that he was the only one who seemed to find anything wrong about all this made him even more intensely uncomfortable. I wish this frakkin' head-frak would clear up, man. Logically, he knew that he must have spent some amount of time around the safehouse before. And Vamassian had said the refugees were just paying their way, right? The gang leader's shark-like smile floated once again to the front of his mind. Then why'd they need to lock the frakkin' door?

"Hey Rhen," the younger guard frowned, "What happened to you? You finally get in a fight?"

Rhenat looked down at the blood spots on his cargo trousers, and seized eagerly on the distraction. "Yeah, gave the Reds a kickin'." he boasted, "Where can I get rid of 'em?"

Buzz-Cut snorted, and punched him in the back - lightly, but it still made Rhenat flinch. "Use the fire-barrels out back, dumbass. Haven't you seen Nara's boys go out and come back enough times?"

"I know that." Rhenat scowled, backtracking hurriedly. "I mean what am I gonna wear instead, huh?"

The young guard laughed, and fished a set of keys out of his own jacket pocket. This one had a circular plastek token on the ring, stamped with the number 216 in faded gold leaf. "Tell you what, mate, you can borrow a pair of mine. My stuff's in the corner cupboard." He tossed the key to Rhenat, who fumbled the catch but managed to secure the keys before they fell to the floor. "Go on, I'll bring the girls down when they're ready. But I want my shit back, d'you hear?" he added as Rhenat bailed out of the accommodation wing as fast as he dared.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 02-25-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

"Okay." she confided playfully as she wrung out the sponge. "I'll admit I'm being a bit selfish here, keeping you for myself. But I've never seen a tech-priest so well built before."

“Built…” He slowly repeated.

“Vaxan slang.” Nara explained, as she appreciatively glanced at him with a subtle smile. “It means you have some impressive muscles.”

Konstantin barely registered as the word resonantly echoed in his mind.

Built…built…built…

The Luminen’s brow knit with confusion as he felt the sudden impulse to perform a self-assessment. Konstantin glanced down and saw the broad and trim expanse of his torso, contoured and grooved with firm muscles so well defined that he suspected they were also not entirely natural. His suspicions only mounted as he extended his arms out before him. He noted the conspicuous absence of biological imperfections such as blemishes, scars, and stretch marks that he flexed and rotated them, as would have normally shown on flesh over the progression of years because the flesh is weak.

Konstantin frowned slightly at the strange and unbidden assertion that flesh was weak, and that he felt that he should accept that was correct...but correct according to whomand why?

The creases of Konstantin’s frown and scrunched brow deepened as his not entirely natural eyesight shifted. He experienced a tremor of unease as the strange grey-sight revealed in greater detail what was beneath his skin. Rendered as darker lines beneath his greyed skin was a series of metal bands that traced along his arms and down his legs. They connected into a network that sprawled across his torso in a networked series of circuitry which terminated into cogwheels. His eyes fixated on the lone stylized ‘V’ on his breastbone…which he knew was significantly importantsomehow

His disquiet was soothed by a comforting sense of familiarity when he took in the symbols. He realized these…augmentations… were perfectly suited to his role in the grand designof humanity…even though he was not certain as to what his role even was. Konstantin determined this was evidently another irksome not now moment, and that he was well past done with them. He could only anticipate the sense of relief would was over him when his Knowledge returned, and he would once again have certainty about who he was and what he was meant to do with his life.

The Luminen relaxed his tensed posture and turned towards Nara, who was still committed to her own thorough ocular examination of his body. Konstantin noticed her gaze had once again settled on his sculpted abdominals, and that she seemed particularly captivated by the faint hint of his chiseled oblique muscles. Nara sighed, almost regretfully, as he completely obstructed the compelling view by strategically placing both of his polymer clad hands on either side the almost comically large cogwheel belt buckle. He sighed, with a notable edge of asperity, and pointedly cleared his throat.

“Nara Tumasian,” Konstantin firmly prompted, with a measure of strained evenness, “My eyes are up here.”

Nara blinked as she belatedly registered that the tech-priest spoke, and then sharply met his eyes with as she registered what he actually said. Konstantin allowed Nara to momentarily waver with uncertainty, before his moustache sympathetically twitched sideways alongside a mischievous half-grin.

“You…” Nara started, with a completely baffled expression as she tried to process her words. “You’re…”

“Yes, Nara,” The Luminen confirmed, with a playful flick of his eyebrows, “I’m teasing you.”

Nara blinked and emitted an amused snort, which was so natural and thoroughly unlike her cultivated image. Konstantin huffed out an equally humored breath as his smile broadened. His hostess snorted again at his reaction, which made the Luminen begin a chuckle that only persisted as Nara giggled. She inadvertently squeezed the sponge, and noisily splattered water on the tile floor with a sodden thump.

“Oh!” She exclaimed in surprise, with the faintest little quiver of another giggle as he bit back a laugh.

Nara self-consciously reverted to her poised demeanor, and delicately hid her mouth with the dry back of her hand. Konstantin’s eyes briefly locked onto the cross tattooed across her palm, before they shifted upwards to meet Nara’s. The two stared at one another as they mutually registered the absurdity of the moment. Their eyes narrowed as they sensed the implicit challenge hanging in the air, and by wordless agreement they began their duel to see who would break the silence first.

The chief enforcer and Mechanicus tech-priest were soon physically shaking under the strain of their fiercely waged competition. Konstantin clenched his silvered teeth on his bottom lip, almost hyperventilating as he struggled not to crack. Nara’s eyes were narrowed almost into slits as she firmly pressed her mouth against the back of her hand. It proved to be the undoing of the competition, as the breath she sought to prevent escaping unexpectedly broke out with a high noted flatulent resonance.

The tiny washroom echoed with their combined laughter.

Konstantin was hunched over with his hands braced against his thighs, chest heaving as he struggled to both recover his breath and stymie the last tremors of amusement. He had no idea precisely how long they had laughed for…and experienced a nagging sensation about his improper data acquisition. His brow knitted again as he considered the notion, and he wondered why the duration of his laughter would have mattered when he could not remember the last time he truly laughed.

The Luminen inhaled deeply, and held the breath as he pondered the quandary…and ultimately decided to dismiss both notions and appreciate the moment as it was. It had been the first time he had laughed in his conscious memory, such as it was…but it was a spontaneous and thoroughly enjoyable moment...and he was determined to amend that oversight going forward. Konstantin exhaled deeply as he stood upright, and contentedly embraced the unfamiliar ache in his chest from the hearty laughter.

“Now back to our serious business and conversation,” Nara firmly prompted, with a measure of strained evenness that she could not quite maintain, “Which was so rudely interrupted.”

The Luminen smiled at his hostess’ teasing emulation as he turned towards her. Nara had propped herself against the draining board, with an arm was still wrapped across her own aching sides. The faux serious expression she had worn gave way to a playfully admonishing smile.

“My apologies, Nara,” Konstantin replied, as he affected a courtly unctuousness. He made a graceful half bow, and broadly gestured towards her with a copper capped glove. “Please, do continue.”

Nara trilled out one last delighted giggle, and took a steadying breath as she gracefully pushed off the draining board. She softly hummed as she recovered the sponge and bowl and prowled towards him. Konstantin noted the assured confidence in Nara’s stride…and a slight discrepancy in her gait compared to his earlier observation. One booted foot crossed in front of the other with a soft scuff, and rough leathers whispered as she closed the distance between them, her hips swaying in what he presumed was an enticement to the indecent proposition she offered.

The Luminen blinked as he processed the…memory fragment. He was positive it had nothing to do with Nara…but he did notice that her motions were strikingly similar…and as deliberate. Konstantin experienced a tremor of unease as his hostess closed the distance between them, and it only magnified as his gaze shifted from the subtle gyration of Nara’s hips. The Luminen’s inexplicable sense of anxiety escalated as he detected the feline which has acquired the avian for consumption undercurrent of predatory success in Nara’s coy little smile…and fleetingly wondered about the oddly phrased memory.

“Na…” Konstantin began, and reflexively gulped as he struggled to manage a cautionary tone with a suddenly dry mouth. He uncomfortably cleared his throat. “Nara.”

“Aww…” She softly cooed, as her smile only widened. “Am I making you nervous?”

The Luminen could not manage to reconcile the gentle vocalization or the incandescent gleam of determination and something else in her eyes. Konstantin tensed as Nara pursed her lips together, and glanced down as she pressed a fingertip beneath his sternum. She resumed her casual humming, noticeably slower and in a lower register than before, as she traced down the channels and groves of his blood splattered abs in an idly meandering course…as her gaze went lower still ahead of her touch.

“Nara…I -”

Konstantin hissed through his silvered teeth, his stammering cut off as Nara opened her hand and slowly scraped her fingernails down his defined muscles. He started down at his hostess…and sensed Nara was not one to take no for an answer when determined to have her own waywhen she met his eyes. She smiled wickedly at his stupefaction as she continued her hands-on exploration unimpeded.

“Are you always this forward with new acquaintances?”

“You callin’ me a slut?”

Konstantin blinked and winced for his efforts because there was something khekking wrong with my eyes as he started at unexpected question. Nara’s mouth was twisted into an aggrieved frown; her artfully plucked brows had drawn in dangerously together as she cast an affronted glare at him.

He was momentarily stunned as he processed the abrupt change in Nara’s demeanor and posture. She wasn’t the languid, playful woman with the affected mannerisms and soft voiced delicacy of a Spire lady. She was an angry, hard edged and territorial down-hive girl snarling at him in rapid fire gutter Vaxanide.

“I…uh…” The Luminen fumbled, as he reeled from the bristling hostility in her accusation. “What?”

“You frakkin’ heard me, you prick,” Nara hissed, as she stepped in closer to him, loudly striking the tiles with her heel as she closed the distance. “I said you callin’ me a slut?!

The irksome female had countered his usual disparaging scowl with her own indulgent, coyly knowing smile as they neared one another. She had breezed on past with the whisper of silken robes, and her eyes idly travelled across his exposed muscles. It was her faint, patiently wistful sigh that nearly had him escalate from merely clenched teeth irritation to a more direct rebuke.

Konstantin recoiled, as the inexplicable thought was paired with inexplicable mental image. The woman was thin, her compact and lithely muscled body was emphasized by the silken robes, dainty and fragile by comparison to his re-built mass. She smiled cheerfully, dimples and almost too perfect teeth prominently displayed on her softly curved face. Her scrutiny was undiminished by his ire, and the aberration had a knowing gleam in her dark eyes, as if she could see into the future.

“I…” The Luminen started, unsettled as he attempted to the remember the moment in full and counter the woman’s implication, “I didn’t say -”

“No, of course you didn’t say it.” Nara cooed, interrupting him with an acidic mockery of her earlier gentleness and lofty grace, “You only implied it.”

“What’s the problem, Stan?” She murmured softly. The feral woman stepped in closely, with a predatory smile on her sharp featured face. It was upturned slightly so she could raise a challenging eyebrow. “Afraid of how weak you’d be when I have you beneath me?”

“What of worth have you accomplished with your life’s potential, you ignorant barbarian,” His words were a low, judgmental hiss, “other than squandering copious amounts of that blessed gift on meaningless slaughter and fruitless fornication?”

Konstantin’s tension mounted as he was confronted by another woman’s greyscale projection. She had the sinuously musculature of a feline apex predator and uninhibitedly displayed it in a rough leather outfit. The woman’s unruly mane was disheveled by exertion, and hands twitched by the twinned blades sheathed on her hips, unintimidated by his presence as she stood almost equal in height. She was as imperious as a queen of the bloodied sand as she stared him down with narrowed eyes.

“What,” Nara continued, as harshly as she jabbed the points of her nails into his abdomen. She momentarily seemed surprised as Konstantin numbly reeled back, but nevertheless pressed her advantage, “You think I’m throwin’ myself at every guy I meet, like some cock starved nympho whore?”

“No…I was…” The Luminen attempted to speak, and frowned deeply as he struggled with his memory. “That’s not what I think about you.”

“Oh?” Nara gasped, her voice thick with sarcasm she leaned in closer to scrutinize his reaction. “So you don’t think I’ve been earnin’ my way up in a man’s world on my back and on my knees?”

“The serene manner in which you have embraced the role for which you are best suited is impressive - unlike the others amongst this team who claim to be warriors, and have been tediously persistent in their misguided arguments to the contrary.”

"Suggest I wouldn't make a good warrior again, Stan, and I'll rip out your eyes and shove them up your arse.”

Nara's face disappeared behind another conjured up by the memory - this one broad and sharp, with wide cheekbones and a square, fierce jaw. Her almond shaped eyes were narrowed at him in affronted hostility. Konstantin wordlessly stared at the image until it faded away to reveal Nara again.

“I…” The Luminen hesitated, and then spoke with certainty, “I don’t think that -”

“Yeah, okay.” Nara doubtfully retorted. She disparagingly rolled her eyes as she stepped back, and stared accusingly at him as if he were a repugnant beast of a mutant. “If you ain’t thinkin’ that misogynistic bull-grox shit, than why you disrespectin’ me as some trashy corner skank?”

For a second time Nara's face flickered and became another - this time one with long, pleated hair and thin, flat eyebrows above deepset eyes. Something told him that they were eyes that normally projected an earnest, approachable confidence, though the image his photographic memory conjured was one of them blurred by tears of rage.

"And now you're going to try and play the reasonable one? You frakking prick. Tell you what, Stan. Maybe you can keep control of your frakking emotions. But you watch several thousand of the people you were supposed to save get thrown to the fire and tell me if you're still a warrior of true faith after that, you secondborn piece of shit."

“I didn’t…that’s not…” Konstantin spluttered. “I don’t –”

“I don’t wanna hear it!” Nara sneered, as she snapped her manicured fingers and flicked her tattooed palm towards him.

“I…I’m…” Stan rasped as an uncomfortably familiar yet unfamiliar tingling sensation prickled through his body across the network of subdermal metal bands.

“Whatever, bitch!” She hissed dismissively. The chief enforcer tossed her luxurious, glossy mane over her shoulder as she imperiously glanced away from him. “I’m done with you.”

“No!”

The tech-priest’s denial was a choked, despairing rasp that struggled out against the dry constriction of his throat, as he staggered backwards against the wall with a solid thump. He was almost oblivious to the click of heels and another slop of water off the floor as Nara warily retreated. Konstantin’s torso bounced as he separated from the cool tiles he had momentarily been stuck against, and sagged down into a bent over hunch. Konstantin fought through the invisible and ever tightening vice of anxiety around his chest for each breath, and the methodical hammer blows of pressure behind his aching eyes.

Khek! Khek! Khek!” The Luminen hissed, teeth clenched as he clutched into his thick and harshly bound hair. He struck his temples with the heels of his palms in time with his curses. “What the khek’s wrong with me? Why the khek does this keep happening?! What the khek am I doing wrong?!”

“Hey…” Nara quietly spoke. He almost lost the words beneath the click of her tentative footsteps, and the brief scrape as she discarded the wash bucket on a nearby auto-clave.

“Nara,” Konstantin acknowledged, almost despondently as he raised his hands to forestall the next barrage of outraged Vaxan and the strange, deeply unsettling memories of arguments past, “please, listen, I swear…I swear I didn’t mean you any insult!”

“I know.” Nara calmly affirmed. Her own hands were raised to placate the agitated tech-priest as she slowly and cautiously stepped back into his physical proximity while trying not to startle him further.

“What?” He numbly asked. The Luminen’s broad features were scrunched with almost agonized confusion as his gaze locked tightly onto the woman’s Refuge cross tattooed palm as she came closer.

“I know.” Nara reiterated, with palpable assurance. She tucked a loose lock of hair behind her ear, and maneuvered so he would see her open and honest expression. “I was only teasing you back for earlier.”

“Why?” Konstantin queried, his mouth stretched into a wounded frown as he struggled with her answer.

“I thought it’d be all in good fun to go off on you like a pissed off Vaxan down-hive girl, but then…”

Nara paused as she registered the tech-priest’s aggrieved expression and sighed. Instead of speaking, she reached out to lightly touch his biceps. When the Luminen made no objection she softly stroked her fingers up and down the defined musculature of his arms in a rhythmically soothing motion.

Konstantin shuddered as he exhaled deeply with tension, and for a time they did not speak as he fought to reign in his accelerated heartbeat and constrain his rapid breaths. The Luminen glanced at Nara, and distantly registered they were an unlikely duo in an improbable situation, the slight gangland enforcer in a slinky dress almost cradling the mountainous tech-priest in her arms as she sought to gently calm him.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.” Nara quietly apologized, even as her mouth twisted into a confused frown. She hesitantly bit her lip, and then curiously tilted her head as she sought his eyes.
    "I was told that tech priests didn't hold with normal human feelings?"

“Weaknesses of the flesh have a useful purpose - if they are appropriately controlled.”

The Luminen’s paused as his moustache twitched once again at the familiarity of the answer, which he had spoken without consciously thinking, and knew that had heard someone else speak almost those exact same words. Konstantin was unsettled by the reflexive, almost programmed way in which he had responded to Nara’s question…and the notion that such doubts were supposed to be unacceptable…even though they came to him as naturally as the words he had just spoken.

“Hey…don’t shut down on me now.” Nara whispered, and gave his arms a mild squeeze of encouragement before she returned to her soothing and coaxing caress. “What’s going on with you?”

“I haven’t been myself…in a long time.” Konstantin acknowledged, somewhat hesitantly as he could not more accurately quantify the time. “Some of what I was came back when you went off on me -”

“I’m sorry.” Nara interjected, as her hands deftly slid down the muscled contours of his arms to lightly grip onto his thick forearms. She lightly and reassuringly brushed her thumbs underneath the bend of his elbows as she met his eyes with a meaningful expression of regret. “I didn’t know…”

“You couldn’t have, Nara. Please don’t fault yourself for that.” The Luminen replied. He smiled down at the Refuge’s enforcer boss with an open, honest smile. “Thank you, by the way.”

“Thanks for what?” Nara asked, with a softly confused smile. Her thumbs continued to almost subconsciously stroke against his forearms.

“I can’t remember the last time I laughed.” Konstantin admitted, and his mouth subtly tightened with the shame of that admission. His smile returned fractionally as she gently squeezed his arms once again.

“What?” Nara started. Her expression scrunched as she glanced suspiciously at him. “You mean you don’t joke about with your friends?”

“Abner Able and Hadrak Elsa are not my…friends.” Konstantin answered, and slowly nodded with certainty after he spoke the words and gauged that they were correct. “We only work together, and I’ve made it a point not to interact with them on a personal basis since we were introduced.”

The Luminen hesitated as he mulled over why he had made it a point not to interact with others. There was nothing impressive about the Abner Able’s almost unhealthy scrawniness…but it was hardly fair to compare the man against himself when direct action was not his role in the grand design. He wondered if that was because Abner was an aberration…and he felt that was correct.

Konstantin nodded slightly at the conclusion as he shifted his thoughts to Hadrak Elsa. He quickly determined the statuesque man’s calm and collected composure marked him as capable warrior and a leader of men. The Luminen recognized that, as with Nara’s lieutenant Hayk, Hadrak was efficiently…and almost perfectly…suited to his role in the grand design. He couldn’t fathom why he would’ve avoided personal interaction with a fellow warrior.

“I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a normal conversation.” The Luminen continued, and shrugged as he tried to brush aside any lingering thoughts about his…friends…but frowned as another prior thought came to the forefront of his mind. “I always was getting into arguments with the women -”

“What women?” Nara queried. The humor and playfulness of her suspicion faded away as her eminently more serious enforcer boss aspect came to the fore. “Are you three part of a larger crew?”

“We were, but we went our separate ways...some time ago,” Konstantin replied, as his frown edged further down by the moment. He did not like the vagueness of some time ago as an answer…yet it was best that he could manage on the sport for Nara with the irreconcilable impairment of his memory.

“What happened to them?” Nara calmly pressed, her hands stilled on his forearms as she scrutinized his troubled expression with a quiet intensity.

“I don’t know whether they’re dead or alive.” The Luminen said, and meant with complete sincerity. His thoughtful frown remained fixed in place as he distractedly brushed his coppered thumb over coppered fingertips with soft clinks. “I didn’t think they were capable or qualified to fulfil our…work.”

Nara pursed her lips together and hmm’d as she absorbed his answer and the subtle muscle movements of his subconsciously anxious fidgeting. She smiled slightly and shot Konstantin a wry look.

“Did you ever think that’s why you were getting into arguments with them?”

“In all honesty…I haven’t been thinking much about anyone but me lately.” Konstantin admitted, with a measure of discomfort with that self-realization of his selfishness. He remained thoroughly oblivious to the earlier minimal shifts of Nara’s temperament. “Most of the women were not thinking about me -”

“Speaking on behalf of all red blooded women with two eyes and a pulse…”

The Luminen registered the airy grandiosity of Nara’s declaration a moment before she lightly dragged his fingers from his arms, and playfully clapped her hands against his muscular trunk with a duo of solid thumps. Konstantin glanced down and saw the amusement in Nara’s eyes, once they made it upwards to meet his, and saw her mischievous smile as suggestively quirked brow as she stroked his toned chest.

“I somehow doubt that’s an accurate statement, mister Mars.”

Mars…

“Okay…you’re not wrong, Nara.” He allowed, and pushed past another anomalous ache of with a somewhat forced chuckle as he shifted uneasily. “There were a few that seemed…interested.”

“What?!” Nara gasped, mockingly aghast as she covered her mouth and stared at him in wide-eyed surprise. “Women can have active libidos, and are capable of expressing their sexual interests?”

“So it would seem.” Konstantin levelly answered, with a slight smile as he decided to play along.

“No!” Nara denied in faux outrage. She arched her back as she pivoted away from him and rocked back on her heels in a pantomime swoon. The enforcer chief dramatically whipped her hair around as she averted her eyes from the Luminen, and dramatically threw back her tattooed hand against her forehead. His gaze once again focused in on the elegantly shaded cross on her palm. “Say it isn’t so!”

“It’s so.” Konstantin affirmed, with the same grave solemnity of a clinician giving a terminal diagnosis that he remembered...he remembered. The Luminen’s mind raced as he remembered that somber expression…but he couldn’t remember from when…even though he had the sense he would never forget that moment…even though he had…for some khekking reason…forgotten.

“What’s the Imperium coming to these days?” Nara distantly bemoaned with patently false despair.

“Nothing good…” He said distractedly…and immediately knew that his answer was unequivocally correct. The Luminen shivered as a sense of dread and doubt began to creep into his mind. Perhaps…perhaps I don’t want to know what I used to know…who I was, or how I got to be here… Konstantin winced as he blinked, and was drawn back into the present as he belatedly registered a mild increase in pressure on his side as Nara leveraged her hold on him to whirl herself back in close to him.

The enforcer chief emitted another airy giggle as she wobbled on her heels, and steadied herself by grasping onto his waist with both hands. Nara’s gull-wing brows soared dubiously as she glanced at him from behind an unruly wave of inky black hair. “Honestly, was that the biggest problem?”

“That’s not even remotely a problem.” Konstantin denied, somewhat perplexed by Nara’s question. “The Imperium -”

Nara interrupted him with a hearty chuckle, and clutched the Luminen’s muscular trunk even tighter as she doubled over in mirth. She uninhibitedly snorted as she slumped forwards, and took a deep breath as she composed herself and straightened up. Her eyes glinted mischievously as she removed her hands to lightly touch his cheek, and comb her exquisitely manicured nails through her wildly disordered locks.

“Oh, wow.” Nara breathed, as she smiled almost affectionately at him. “You’re adorable.”

Konstantin craned his head backwards; eyes narrowed fractionally as he stared even down at her. “Would you kindly elaborate?”

“Honey, I care about the Imperium less than it cares about me.” She opined, and shrugged apathetically and dismissively as she casually rested her hands on his chest. “I was asking about you,” Nara gently poked a finger into his chest, and smirked coyly at him as she continued, “and whether your biggest problem with these women was being the subject of their wickedly depraved feminine lusts.”

“No…it was irksome, more than anything.” Konstantin admitted, as he once again gently, yet determinedly, removed Nara’s hands from his blood stained torso. She merely giggled airily, and tilted her head as she allowed him space. The Luminen’s silver capped teeth scraped together as he mulled over his words. The correct answer promptly came to him. “My biggest problem was that they – and everyone else, really - would only think the worst about me, no matter what I said and what I did.”

“I know how that goes.” She commiserated. Konstantin noticed a fleetingly displeased twist of her mouth, but on whole thought her expression was honest. Nara casually dismissed any worries with an unbothered shrug as she finished grooming her disheveled hair. “So what’d you argue about?”

“Anything and everything, it seems.” The Luminen acknowledged, and sighed as he recognized that the words were correct even as he spoke. “I was incompatible with these individuals in almost every sense of the word.” He frowned as he was correct…again. “I was a chevek amongst these cheveks.”

“Chevek?” Nara questioned. Her sculpted brows flicked upwards in surprise and then pulled together as she curiously tilted her head towards the tech-priest and his strange terminology. “What’s that mean?”

“It means outsider,” Konstantin translated, as his own eyebrows mirrored Nara’s surprise. He was caught off-guard by the knowledge of another language…and not exactly pleased as he accounted for the connotations associated with the word…and how familiar it was. “It’s…uncomplimentary.”

“I see.” Nara murmured. She considered his words for a moment, and then met his eyes with a sly side-on glance and a devilishly coy smile. “So I’m guessing khek means what I think it means?”

“Ah…” Konstantin hissed, as he made a painful reflexive blink. “Yes…yes it does.”

“Khek…” Nara recited. She tried to emulate his earlier hard-edged pronunciation with her melodious voice, and her nose scrunched at the disappointing result. She shrugged and met his gaze as her smile became thoroughly wicked. “I think I’m more partial to frak, and how it rolls right off the tongue.”

Konstantin shifted uncomfortably under the chief enforcer’s almost solicitous attention. Nara had deliberately dropped her voice an octave and over-emphasized the normally lightly trilled r's of her softly spoken gutter Vaxanide, and he belatedly registered the not-so-subtle innuendo of her words. The Luminen experienced an odd tingling heat on his face that had nothing to do with the earlier sensation that had travelled along the peculiar metalwork beneath his skin. He wasn’t quite sure what…

“Aww…you’re blushing.” Nara cooed. Her smile softened as she absorbed Konstantin’s perplexed reaction to such a mundanely human reaction. “You’re really not from around here, are you?”

“No, I’m not from around here…” Konstantin quietly agreed, as he sensed the familiar ache of migraine pressure behind his strangely achy eyes at the latest conversational turn into difficult territory.

“We’re talking like not from Vaxanide, not from around here, right?” Nara inquired, and wonderingly gazed at the tech-priest as he confirmed it with a nod. “Are you legitimately a from Mars sort of Martian?

Mars…

“I’m not from Mars…I’ve never been…” Konstantin clarified. His teeth metallically clicked, and he trailed off from that thought as once again that anomalous tremor coursed through him. “I’m Vostroyan.”

“Vostroyan…which means you’re from…” Nara started, and then paused with narrow eyed consideration. She hummed in deliberation and then looked speculatively at him. “Vostroya?”

The Luminen stiffly nodded in confirmation. It was factually correct…but he couldn’t help but feel that it also wasn’t correct…yet without a clear basis for why that was…troubling to him.

“I’ve never met an off-worlder before.” Nara commented as she gently bit down on her bottom lip, and appraisingly regarded the tech-priest with new and curious eyes. “Where’s Vostroya, anyhow?”

“It’s…far away.” Konstantin answered, with an apologetic expression as he wasn’t able to articulate a more accurate response. It’s not home…not anymore. The Luminen grimaced, and reflexively stared down at his thick boots at another uncomfortable realization… “I left home a long time ago…”

“Hey…” Nara breathed, as she took that finals step and closed the distance between them. She cradled Konstantin’s chin and gently tilted his head back upwards so he would meet her eyes. The chief enforcer smiled encouragingly, and gently brushed her thumbs across his cheeks. “You’re not an outsider and you’ve got a home. You’re with the Refuge now.”

“I appreciate that, Nara.” Konstantin replied, relieved. He simply stared at her as she continued to stroke her thumbs along his broad cheekbones. “You’re not like the other women I’ve met.”

“I’m not like most women.” Nara decisively agreed, with a supremely confident smile.

“So I’ve noticed.” Konstantin agreed, with a dryness that made Nara chuckle appreciatively. “The other women…they always assumed the worst the worst from me. They assumed I had a problem with women…and that I was always trying to insult them.”

“What was it you said to Arman…manners make the man?” Nara quoted. She released her hold on Konstantin’s face and leaned back on a boot heel, arms crossed challengingly as she raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Bold words from the man whose been so rude since we met.”

“I apologize.” Konstantin quickly responded, and then frowned at how reflexive his words had been. He cautiously glanced at Nara. “Exactly how have I caused you an offense?”

“You’ve never thought to introduce yourself.” She playfully grinned, and almost theatrically thrust out the back of her hand at him as she stared daringly into his eyes. “Nara Tumasian.”
    Last edited by PaintSerf; 12-01-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: 1/2 of Nara and Stan

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Konstantin

By the time Stan and Nara returned to the main floor of the mansion, it was in a state of noisy, controlled chaos. Men and women in cross-emblazoned jackets milled about in frantic activity; some with arms full of towels and bottles, some chivvying a knot of scruffy refugees towards the stairs, some simply taking up station and nervously fingering knife hilts and pistol grips. Hayk appeared out of the crowd and offered Nara a silent nod as he manoeuvred past. Abner and Ani stood close at hand, though Konstantin saw that the knife fighter was glaring daggers at the back of his...friend's head. The pale sparks of light inside her skull were simmering. Hadrak stood head and shoulders above the chaos, a contemplative frown on his face as if he were trying to assess the situation. Vamassian's companion, Ellen, had her arm linked through his. She was smiling, and bobbing up and down with apparent excitement. It was not an excitement that was shared by her gang boss. Vamassian stood at the centre of everything, agitatedly tapping his fingertips. When he caught sight of Stan and Nara, he raised his eyebrows at them.

"If you've finished harassing the Martian," he admonished. "Our client is here!"

Nara smiled, making no apologies, while as if on cue a young ganger sideslipped through the atrium door and pushed it to behind him.

"They're outside, boss." he called over to Vamassian as the last guards took their places, and the last refugees were shepherded upstairs out of sight, some of them still trying to bolt down handfuls of flatbread.

Vamassian clawed his hand at the young ganger. "Well don't keep them waiting!"

The youth leaned half back round the door, and a few moments later pulled it open and held it for a quartet of pale men who came marching into the room.

The duke, as it turned out, was a small but sturdily built man, with broad features and small, watchful eyes the colour of dirty chips of ice. His barrel chest strained against a high-collared field jacket, that was woven from flakweave and seemed to have been modelled on those worn by the Vaxan PDF. While clearly aping a military bearing, the man was seemingly not a complete stranger to violence - a shallow duelling scar raked across his left cheekbone, and a second bisected his eyebrow. He was flanked to his left by a doughy, expressionless youth who carried a gilded box, and by a hairless man in brocaded robes who smirked to the room at large through pointed cheekbones and an even more prominent chin.

To the duke's right was a man in a less ornamented version of the duke's own flak coat, though anyone could tell at a glance that it wasn't for show. He stood straighter than the others and had a quiet but intense air of vigilance. His hands were clasped in front of him, seemingly at ease, though within easy reach of the curved, polished wood stocks of two pistols that hung on his white leather cross belt. He glanced often at the knife-armed guards, who watched him in turn with their dilated pupils reflecting the soft lamplight.

"My dear duke." Vamassian smiled, spreading his arms in welcome as he stepped forward to meet the group, with Abner and Ellen trailing in his wake. Nara pulled away from Konstantin and shouldered her way past a pair of gangers to join him.

The duke merely wrinkled his nose at Vamassian's welcome, and craned his neck to whisper something to the armed bodyguard. It wasn't normal Vaxan, and something in Konstantin's head clicked that he was speaking high gothic.

"His grace wishes to know which one of you is Samvel Vamassian." the bodyguard drawled, in a gutter dialect to match the gangers' own.

"Me." Vamassian replied calmly, still speaking to the duke rather than the translator. "These are my associates mister Able and miss Tumasian."

Nara crossed her ankles and bobbed a curtsey, offering a winning smile to which the duke remained coldly indifferent. He deigned to shake Abner's hand, but when Vamassian proffered his own the bodyguard held out an arm to stop him.

"Not you." he warned. Behind Konstantin one of the younger gang members sniggered, and one of the guards standing by the door tightened her grip on her knife hilt, but Konstantin noticed neither because his grayscale vision had lit up with a brilliant flash of white, originating from inside Abner's skull.

"If you'll follow me?" Vamassian rallied, his cheek twitching slightly before he hid it behind a smile.

Konstantin saw Abner grimace subtly, though nobody reacted. Could they really not see it? The man's entire arm was flickering with sparks of pale...motive force. Abner folded his arms to hide the fact that he was wiping his hand on his loose shirt, as if something foul had transferred from the duke's palm onto his own. He was still flexing his hand as he filed after the others in the direction indicated by Vamassian's sweeping palm.

"Friendly, isn't he?" Nara murmured dourly, twisting her mouth as she slipped back to join Konstantin. The hairless man accompanying the duke tipped back his head, to squint down his nose at the strange sight of the tech priest, before he lengthened his stride to catch up with his companions.

Vamassian hung back for a moment, falling into step beside Abner. Tapping his fingertips agitatedly, he raised a querying eyebrow at Konstantin's friend. Konstantin's enhanced hearing tuned Abner's response out of the background noise.

"She has to be pale." the scarred, sallow man murmured. He hesitated. "And you're wasting your time with anyone over 15 standard."

Vamassian just nodded and slapped Abner gratefully on the back. He manoeuvred back to the front of the group in time to push open the next door. Through it was a softly-lit drawing room, decorated with old but expensive-looking furniture. Sofas surrounded a glass-inlaid table on three sides, with satin cushions covering the worst of the scratches in the cream leather. A gilded mirror covered most the rear wall, giving an illusion of greater space.

Rhenat was hovering in the corner, next to another, pugnacious-looking youth. Alongside them were four girls, whose eyes kept switching around the room. As Vamassian entered, however, the girls immediately produced smiles. They picked up glasses from a wheeled table and carried them forward, stiletto heels clacking softly against the floor. One reached the hairless seneschal, who smirked at the girl as she ran a finger down the velvet sleeve of his robe. Konstantin noted a marked contrast between the flaring electric activity inside the man's brain and the subdued sparks from the teenage girl.

"Can I interest you in-" Vamassian began, but the duke's bodyguard cut him off with a barked retort.

"We're not here for your hospitality, psyker." he snapped, waving away the closest girl so sharply that she nearly slopped the wine she was offering him onto the floor. The other three girls hovered uncertainly for a moment, then stepped back. The duke's fat young attendant gazed regretfully after them, his eyes dropping from the girls' faces to the hems of their short dresses, but the duke himself flickered a smile in apparent approval of his bodyguard's put down against Vamassian. The smile made the thin scar on his cheek twist.

Next to Konstantin, Nara also seemed quietly amused. Always civil to Vamassian's face, she was humming softly to herself as the Refuge boss tried to hide the fact that the meeting was not going as he had intended.

"To business then." Vamassian said, with an obviously strained smile. "One moment please."

He slipped through an oak-panelled servant's door and closed it behind him. Konstantin's augmented ears tracked the Refuge boss down what was presumably a short adjoining passage to a kitchen or waiting room, where he heard young, female voices whispering excitedly to each other.

"Alright girls, showtime." Vamassian's low voice spoke, warmly. "I'm afraid we're only going to need you, you and you this time."

A few cries of protest from those who hadn't been picked were swiftly cut off.

"You'll get your chance, I promise." Vamassian soothed. "Now stand up straight, and don't speak unless he speaks to you first. Uphive they like their help professional."

The footsteps retraced, this time accompanied by three more sets. The side door to the drawing room opened and three girls filed into the room. They were even younger than the ones serving drinks, and were holding each others' hands for mutual courage. Leading them was a bright-eyed girl with centre-parted hair, followed by a taller girl with a moon face and dark, upturned eyes, and finally a girl with blonde ringlets and the delicate features of a porcelain doll. All three had liberal makeup applied to their pallid skin, smoothing away their freckles and the red bumps of acne. They were dressed in the simple but elegant black gowns that an uphiver's maidservant might wear, given shape by a white sash. They shuffled over to the back wall and folded their hands, biting their lips to hide nervous smiles. Vamassian reappeared, closing the door after them and opened his mouth as if to introduce the three girls.

"You can go, psyker." the bodyguard cut him off with a snap. "His grace will send for you once he's made his decision."

Vamassian's smile froze solid on his face.

"Of course." he said at length, and retreated through the main door, pulling it closed on the perplexed faces of the girls, and the smirking one of the duke's seneschal.

"Wow." Nara said with a sympathetic frown as Vamassian stalked back towards them. "I know the uphivers are usually arrogant but-"

"Shut up, Nara." Vamassian growled. The smile had sloughed off his face and been replaced by a venomous scowl. He balled his fist and thumped it into the plaster wall.

Beside Stan, Ellen chewed at a fingernail in consternation. Without saying anything she tiptoed forward and squeezed Vamassian's arm, giving it a gentle but insistent tug. For a moment Vamassian tensed, and Stan could see the electrical pulses in his mind flaring, but then his shoulders slumped and he allowed the petite woman to pull him away down the corridor.

Nara exhaled a slow breath, and glanced at Stan.

+ + + + + +

Rhen glanced around at all the other gangers in the room, trying to decide how he was supposed to react. None of them seemed to know either, as they watched the bodyguard's suspicious gaze and the bald bastard's seemingly hard-wired smirk follow Vamassian out of the door.

The uphive noble ignored them all, frowning down his bulbous nose as he stepped away from his retainers. He began to patrol back and forth in front of the three girls, not saying anything. The bright eyed girl's mouth twitched upward nervously, and the moon faced girl shuffled her feet. As the silence stretched, Rhenat had to fight an overwhelming urge to break it with something - anything. Yeah right, what do you say to a duke and his armed guard? He bit down on his tongue. His fingers were tense with a nervous desire to crack his knuckles.

Rhenat didn't know how many minutes it was before the duke rocked back a step, and halted in front of the blonde girl. He folded his arms, and spoke something in the grand but harsh-sounding uphiver language.

"His grace asked your name." the bodyguard translated curtly.

The girl glanced at the bodyguard - and then to Rhenat's consternation at him - before looking back at the duke.

"Karine, sir." she said, clearly but with a noticeable strain in her voice.

The duke didn't react, except with what might have been the flicker of a smile. He stared levelly at Karine for another handful of heartbeats, before unfolding his arms and putting a finger under her chin, tipping her head back. Karine didn't resist, but from the way her eyes widened she clearly didn't know how to react. The duke stroked his finger along her powdered cheek before pulling away. It was only a brief contact, but to Rhenat there seemed to be something almost possessive in it, something that made his stomach twist uncomfortably. It clearly unsettled Karine too, because she glanced at him again, this time with a look that was almost fearful, as if she were seeking reassurance - or even for him to step forward and pull her away.

Rhenat fidgeted. What was he supposed to do? Step up to the bodyguard and his big frak-off hand cannons? Buzz-Cut didn't seem worried, he tried to rationalise. Yeah, but Buzz-Cut didn't seem worried about the kids locked up upstairs, either.

The duke turned on his heel, barking a short string of Uphive to his bodyguard.

"We'll take her." the bodyguard duly translated, looking at Rhenat and the others who were standing back against the wall. "Go tell the psyker."

Buzz-Cut grunted by way of response, before Rhenat could even begin to think of one of his own.

"Alright, get moving." Buzz-Cut snapped to the seven girls, ushering them back towards the side door. "No, leave the drinks." he rolled his eyes at the serving girls as they made to gather up the glasses that the duke's men had refused.

The small corridor led to an empty dining room, the chairs and tables stacked away against the walls. Rhenat trailed along behind the others, cuffing at his nose. Ahead of them, one of the guards from the top-floor dormitory waited with his hand resting quietly on his pistol butt. The serving girls were stony faced, and the prospective maidservants were no longer full of nervous excitement. They were whispering to each other, eyes wide. Karine glanced in Rhenat's direction again, and he hurriedly pretended to be studying the faded painting of a riverboat on the far wall. What does she expect me to do?

"Shut it." Buzz-Cut growled at the whispering girls, clearly agitated, "Hey Aren, take the birds back upstairs would ya? You two, make yourselves useful and go get Karine's stuff."

The other girls retreated, chivvied along by the guard, but Karine stayed in place, biting her nails.

"Guys..." she asked plaintively, in a thick underhive accent, "I've changed ma mind, I don' wanna go."

"Don't be daft." Buzz-Cut grunted, "You'll have it better uphive than any of us down here."

"I'm no' goin' with that duke." Karine insisted, her eyes brimming over. "Please guys, I wanna stay here, I promise I'll pull ma weight lookin' after the kids..."

"Ah shit." Buzz-Cut cursed, as the girl openly began to cry. "Rhen, fetch Vamassian."

Rhenat, even though he just wanted to get away from the whole horrible situation, found himself thinking of Vamassian's shark smile. "What about Nara?" he suggested instead.

"Nara?" Buzz-Cut repeated, sounding irritated. "Why would she give a shit? Stop frakking around and go get Big Sam, before the duke sees!"

+ + + + + +

Shift

"You'll be alright from here, yeah?" Kim asked Maria, as they looked up at the dilapidated red-brick building that apparently served as a hospital. It was a big ugly slab marked with rows of recessed windows, and half of them weren't even illuminated. A clapped-out old generator house wheezed away on the building's left flank, puffing backlit smoke into the nighttime air.

"Yeah, I'll be alright." Maria nodded, "Pilgrim's Quarter is the one neighbourhood where people won't give you trouble, even if you've got a cross on your hand."

The young ganger rocked back and forth on her heel, clearly unsure what else to say. Having Alexi and Anais around, who had so recently argued to kill her, clearly wasn't helping. She looked at Shift.

"Um...thanks again. I hope you're right about gettin' Vamassian. You'll frakkin' have to be..." She picked at the sling Kim had wrapped round her arm. "You promise you won't hurt my brother, yeah?"

"We'll be back." Kim reassured, her hands resting on her strap-slung autogun. "And we'll have your brother with us."

Maria nodded. Even if it wasn't a certainty, it was a promise she wanted to believe.

"You shouldn't have told her that." the crow said as they made their way back to the arterial overpass, which ran straight as a compass arrow towards the looming curtain wall of the spire. "Don't fool her with promises you can't keep. How will we tell which one of the slavers is Rhenat Nazarian? I don't plan on asking them all before I shoot."

"You plan on us just blitzing our way in, Alexi?" Kim challenged, "For one we're going to need to be more subtle than that for this to work. There's more of them than there are of us. And for another, this is about justice, not butchery."

The crow's tattooed face creased in a frown, unconvinced. "This is about what you have decided we need to do. Whether you call the killing justice or butchery is semantics."

"All of true faith believe in justice." Quintus put in calmly. "Whether they follow Kimmie's emperor or our red king."

Walking beside Shift, Primus cocked an eyebrow in Kim's direction. "Hm. But she's no true believer, is she little brother?"

A defensive look crossed Kim's sandy face. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"That is why your hold over your companions is unconvincing. I see it in your eyes. Your faith has faltered, even if you don't remember why."

Kim opened her mouth, as if to deny it, and then closed it again. "I remember." she stated guardedly.

"We all must sacrifice for our faith." Primus probed, his handsome face neutral. "Was yours too great?"

Kim chewed her tongue for a moment, debating with herself on what was evidently a very raw and immediate wound.

"His name was Cian." she said at last, defiantly. "I remember him now, and I remember that I could have...I could have built a life with him. But the Faith needed me to move on. That was my first real test."

"Passion to do your god's work should outweigh passions of the flesh to any true believer." Primus stated. His nose wrinkled in a scowl. "Unless of course you're one of the Prince's degenerates."

The hand closest to Shift spasmed, as if clutching for a blade that wasn't there.

"My past self agreed with you." Kim rejoined, undeterred. "And I thought it would be worth it. A missionary's job is to bring the word, and it would have been selfish to put what I wanted above thousands of others, right? Only it wasn't worth it. They remember me as a..."

Her argument trailed off in mid-sentence, her defiance replaced by an inward, uncertain look. Shift thought she knew what it meant. Remembering.

"A what?" Quintus stepped in, prompting gently.

"Heretic." Kim said, in the barest whisper.

The word speared through the former missionary like a frozen knife, twisting below her stomach. In her mind's eye, Kim was somewhere dark and candle-lit - an austere little shrine with the soft, omnipresent thrum of starship engines rumbling through the floor beneath her knees. The tiny silver aquila was turning over and over in her fingertips, only now it was attached to a delicate silver chain around her neck. How had she lost that?

Her eyes were turned upward, towards a much larger aquila. Its golden wings spread wall to wall and both sets of onyx eyes were frowning down at her, as if rebuking the questions that she knew she shouldn't be asking of her God-Emperor.

The Emperor defines your moral code, not you His. the glowering aquila heads seemed to say.

She knew she had a duty that went higher than her personal desires and morals, but she couldn't quiet the resentful voice at the back of her mind. Was this her reward? She gave up the best friend she had ever had for the*Faith, and now he and everyone else on Adhara remembered her as a traitor? The worst crime one of the Faith could commit?

The Emperor's watchful guardian remained unmoved. This is your punishment, she imagined the twin heads saying. For the sin of pride.

What pride? She remembered now - her doubts at the bridge, where she had been tempted to stay with Cian instead of kicking out the bridge plank that would make him think she had fallen and drowned. She was tempted, but she didn't fall!

I could have been happy on Adhara. Missionaries die all the time, no-one would have known. But I did my duty, to the Faith. And...

and...

The parched, brittle grass swayed in the warm wind. She was standing on a small hill overlooking a deserted town, watching the awed, fearful indigens as they crept furtively into the ruins to search the empty streets. The copse of twisted trees that grew up around the hill kept her hidden, even though their leaves were gone after dehydrating to death over the long summer.

Yesterday this town had been the rallying point of the Redeemer's faithful. Redeemer - the man who had preached that the drought was the Spirits' punishment for abandoning them for the Imperial faith. The man who had swayed thousands to his cause with a promise that the rains could be summoned only with the blood of all those who wouldn't renounce the New Word. The daemon wears an angel's face.

Yesterday thousands had come to hear him speak. Today there was no-one, only sun-bleached ruins glazed with blood.

"Now they see the Emperor's judgement." murmured a voice next to Kim.

"His will be done." Kim remembered saying, as she turned to the man standing next to her. She pictured a thin face, with a shadow of grey stubble, sweat beading on his furrowed brow. He wore loose grey fatigues, and a dark armourweave jerkin. The grey man was important, she thought, but he was not of the Faith - the Imperial I pinned to his shoulder bore a skull, but not the matching sunburst halo. No, not of the Faith, but she knew that he was righteous.

The daemon wears an angel's face. The man was clearly no angel, and she wasn't sure what brought that thought to her mind as she recalled his image, standing there on that dead hill above a dead town.

"Speak your mind, missionary Raeden." the grey man had said to her, glancing briefly in her direction before turning his creased, careworn eyes back towards the town below.

"Sir?" Kim had replied, feigning confusion. She was normally a good actress, she was sure of that.

"The natives down there are cursing your name, and in a year or two they'll be writing you into stories as a warning to their children. You must imagine me a fool if you don't think I expect some reaction from you."

The man's rebuke was toneless, coloured with neither anger nor humour.

"I'm fine sir." Perhaps Kim had too much faith in her mask, or perhaps the truth was just too painful to speak, because she had persisted.

The grey man shook his head very slightly. "That's a lie."

"It's...difficult to process." she had finally relented.

"Still not the whole truth."

Kim felt a pang - an echo of phantom shame and discomfort as she remembered saying, "I wanted it to be worth it."

She didn't add to me, but she suspected that the grey man knew regardless. For a moment she was afraid he would force that out of her too. But instead he just folded his arms.

"Faith is worthless if it's not tested. It's our duty to bear these burdens where others can't."

He was wrong, Kim remembered thinking, and anger boiled up from the pit of her stomach to twist round her throat and needle her temples. The grey man might have been righteous, but he was wrong. He thought what they had done here was a worthwhile sacrifice, but it was not - because she had...

Her fingertips were trembling, even though she knew she had to set an example for the others.

What had she done? And why did it make her so murderously angry?

Shift saw the warning signs in Kimmie's balled fists and tense posture. Primus must have seen them too, but he seemed undeterred.

"A leader needs to have unbreakable faith." the chiselled Kingsman said calmly, resting his thumbs on the belt of his torn black fatigues. "How did you plan to shepherd your companions without it, missionary? How will you protect your flock?"

"Protect my flock?" Kimmie repeated, in a hoarse, whispered rasp.

Shift had seen how fast the fawn-skinned woman could move. She saw it again as Kim's finger shifted to the trigger guard, and the muzzle of the autogun twitched in the beginning of an arc that would bring it swinging up towards Primus' chest. The Kingsman, despite his relaxed posture a moment before, was just as lightning quick. In the same split-second, his hand darted up to his shoulder to drag the power sword from its scabbard.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 05-07-2017 at 03:19 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

"No!"

She lunged between the pair, her arms outstretched.

"Have you both gone frakking insane?!" she yelled, a hint of panic tingeing her voice. She could feel Primus behind her like a rising hot wind. The blade was half way out of the scabbard and her back was exposed. All he would need to do was complete the draw and make a single strike, and she would be dead. Kim had her autogun up and levelled at her face, her eyes suddenly clearer and more focused than Shift had ever seen them.

"Sarna." the missionary warned her through gritted teeth.

Sarna. The name twisted in her head like a line of barbed wire. She didn't dare blink, not for a second, and kept her eyes focused on Kim even as they watered from the pain.

"We need to take down Vamassian. That's it. We cut our way through to him, kill him, then cut our way back out. Anything that gets in our way dies quickly."

"Anything?" Kim challenged. The barrel of her autogun had edged to one side, so that it was no longer pointed at Shift, but the missionary's finger was still curled around the trigger.

"Bleed and die." The sub-vocal hiss was coming from behind her.

"Anyone with a blue cross on their hand." Quintus clarified. He had raised his hands away from his sides, but didn't dare to step forward and intervene in the hair-trigger standoff.

"Martyr or unbeliever. His will." Primus was whispering the words nearly too low to hear, but with an almost inhuman venom.

"Maria's brother will have a cross on his hand." Kim pointed out to Quintus. The autogun was still hard against her shoulder, and beneath her sandy skin her arm muscles were standing out tense.

"And if her brother is smarter than her, he won't be anywhere near Vamassian or his inner circle when the shooting starts," Shift argued back. "Because the only thing worth killing is Vamassian."

"And if we're smart, we won't just batter our way in." Kim wasn't for yielding. "We need a plan that won't get you killed, won't get kids like Maria killed, and won't kill any more refugees the slavers might have penned up in there."

Her focused gaze twitched past Shift, seeking the motionless and now silent Kingsman standing behind her.

"That's how I'll protect my flock, Primus."

"You do me a dishonour." Anais interjected, her warrior's mouth hardening. "You underestimate our skills."

"And you over-estimate the virtue of Vamassian's people." Alexi added, and the ghoulish tattoos that lined his face contorted as he frowned. "At best they're weak and stupid like Maria. At worst, they're no better than those shits we took out at the dockside."

"I stand by god's judgement." Quintus interrupted stiffly. "Whatever you or I think of her, Maria and her brother won't be harmed. The Red King wills it."

"It's more than that." Kim insisted. "You didn't see how she reacted, Alexi. She's not loyal to the Refuge, she's loyal to her brother. The cross is a gang tattoo, not a brand of damnation. How many of the others are only with the Refuge because of fear? Kill the slavers. Spare the victims."

Alexi folded his arms. "And how do we tell which is which, Kimmie?"

"Too much talk." Anais grumbled. "Not enough action."

"So we need a plan, right? I think that's something we can all agree on." Shift butted back in. "How about me and Kim head out and do a check on the bad guys perimeter, see how many guards and shooters they have, get a feel for their defenses."

Kim turned to face her again and narrowed her eyes. She knew the unspoken question: Whose side are you on?

"If we can, we can map out a route for my idea to drop on them for above. Then we get in, stab who needs stabbing, and get out."

Kim's autogun muzzle wavered a fraction, and then slowly lowered towards the pavement. "Alright Shift. I'll go with you."

"Why her?" Anais demanded. She looked past Shift, towards Primus. "I am more capable. I would be your Secunda."

"Patience, sister." Primus soothed. It was the first time he had spoken loud enough for the others to hear since Shift had intervened, and the menacing hiss was abruptly gone from his voice. "Only those of true faith may carry the name."

Only those of true faith may carry the name.

Kim blinked. Someone else had said that to her, and it caused the anger she had been feeling to simmer back to the surface, though this time it was spiked with a sense of hurt.

That was low, Stan. Really frakking low.

Who the frak was Stan? She had to drop one hand from her autogun to dig the heel of it into her temple.

"And when will I be of true faith?" Anais demanded, caught between her pride and her evident respect for Primus.

"When you take Vamassian's skull for the Red King." Primus replied silkily. The answer seemed to placate Anais - or at least, she stood back and folded her wiry arms.

Shift heard Primus whisper forward behind her, then felt his sword hand land on her shoulder and gently squeeze. "Go ahead, little sister." Something told her that he was smiling. "You've already proved that you can move and kill like a ghost."

+ + + + + +

Kim looked back over her shoulder and squinted at the horizon beyond the underhive, trying to work out if the streak of lighter grey in the sky was simply a trick of light pollution, or if it heralded an approaching dawn. By her own rough reckoning, they must have been down here in the underhive for six or seven hours. Where had they been before that? She had snippets, but nothing to join her vague flashes of Cian and the grey man to Vaxanhive and the people she was with now. How had she become their missionary?

"Sarna?" she asked in a low voice as they crept along the underpass, and caught herself. "Sorry, Shift. Do you remember anything from before? Anything about a man in grey?"

Shift tensed, and for a moment remained silent.

"I remember grass."

Shift turned and looked back at Kim.

"I remember grass, and sea salt. Horses. Training." She looked around at the overpass and shrugged. "Somewhere different from this place. I remember it being home. But no man in grey."

She turned away and continued on for a few steps before stopping and looking back.

"Whatever happened, however we ended up here, we need to focus on what we are doing right now. We get through this, make ourselves safe, and then we can focus on the whys."

"The whys are more important than you think, Shift." Kim replied cautiously. "We stopped a man with a knife from killing Quintus - no why other than keeping someone with a weapon from hurting someone without one, no other why needed. At the dock, the same, or so we thought - but then one of them turned out to be Maria. And that was my mistake as well, I'm not denying it. We err once, the Emperor is merciful. We err twice?"

They both froze and dropped to one knee as another late-night joyrider zoomed across the overpass above them. The engine roar dopplered away into the distance, and they waited another heartbeat before rising and resuming their advance.

"I know we don't remember much about each other." Kim continued, "But I do know that you're relentless, and you're goal-focused. That's why you were on the team."

The grey man's team? she wondered. My team? No; but definitely her flock...

"But sometimes you're also impulsive." It felt strange to assert it, but the way the words just fell into place made her wonder if she hadn't spoken them before - somewhere, sometime.

Shift blinked at that. . .accusation? It hadn't been said with malice.

"Primus is..." Kim bit down, and swallowed her anger. "Primus is the same, I think. He trusts his red god to guide him, and in that me and him are the same - but we can't..."

"You can't just leave an EMP on Stan's door because you had an argument!"

"I clearly can leave an EMP on the buckethead's door. What you mean is I shouldn't."

She blinked. There was that name again, Stan. Who was he? Not the grey man, she was sure of that. Ugh - it was hard for her to form a reasonable argument when-

And now you're going to try and play the reasonable one? You frakking prick. Tell you what, Stan. Maybe you can keep control of your frakking emotions. But you watch several thousand of the people you were supposed to save get thrown to the fire and tell me if you're still a warrior of true faith after that, you secondborn piece of shit.

It came on her in a rush - a more intense wave of anger and hurt and failure than she'd felt since Primus had challenged her.

"-make the same mistake twice." she finished, the words finding their way automatically through her gritted teeth. She took a shuddering breath and looked at Shift, focusing on the elfin-featured killer instead of the turmoil in her own head.

A confessor can't be seen to doubt. Primus was right about that, at least.

"Someone is working through you, Shift." Kim said, suddenly earnest. "Whether that's my Emperor or Primus' Red King I don't know. But they made you beat Anais and save Maria's life, and stopped our mistake being one we couldn't take back. I'm absolutely certain they're still working through you now, and I'm glad it's you scouting ahead to make our plan. Just please listen to me when I say, don't do anything...impulsive."

"Anything impulsive." Shift made a dismissive noise. "From the person who nearly shot our only allies in this scumhole." She stalked up to Kim. "The way I see it, you are right about me. I am task focused and driven and...and impulsive, yes, impulsive, and right now, right now, that's about finishing the job and getting out alive with all my bits still stuck on. I stuck up for that silly bitch because we needed what she knew, and wiping that smirk of Anais face was a nice bonus. It was the right thing to do, because I had offered my word, and that matters to me. But if things had been different, Maria would have put a bullet in each one of us and not given it a second thought, and I would have taken her head off if it had been a fight."

"I don't believe she would have." Kim said, more calmly. "But neither of us can know for sure."

Sarna shook her head and stepped away. "We can't save everyone, Kim. We just can't."

"I'm not trying to. There's some people down here who deserve to burn."

Kim hesitated, but couldn't find anything holding back her next words except her pride. She pursed her lips and let out a breath.

"You're right, I've got no right to call you impulsive after what I just did. It wasn't Primus I was pointing the gun at. It was-" The daemon who wears an angel's face. "-someone I can't quite remember. Someone who lied to thousands of people. Someone who condemned them all to bleed and die."

She stopped for a moment. Was she talking about the same person now, or two separate people? Either way...

"And I think I had something to do with it."

She shivered. The memory was still maddeningly out of reach, dancing back and forth behind a veil of black. She wondered if it was a veil she truly wanted to lift.

"I remember something from the Creed, about a wise man learning from the mistakes of others. I'd rather you learned from mine." She looked down at the auto-rifle she had nearly pointed at Primus' head, and smiled wanly. Impulsive. "Both of them."

"So stop being a martyr and help me save the people we can. Because there is no way I am actually smart enough to figure out a plan for us that isn't 'die in a hail of bullets during one last glorious charge'."

Kim shrugged her bare shoulders to redistribute the webbing that lay over her black tank top. She was appealing to the cerebral, she realised, when everything about Shift was relentlessly practical. It was something she should have known already - something she perhaps had known, once. She looked up at the overpass, stretching away to meet the towering curtain wall of the hive spire.

"Lets see how close the hotel is to the overpass. We might be able to use that or the curtain wall to drop down like you suggested. If we can scope out where Sam Vamassian is, then even better."

She fell into step behind the younger woman.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Rhen

Rhenat was unusually aware of his steps as he walked through the crumbling splendour of the Refuge. Just one foot in front of the other, he told himself - that's your job, one foot then the other, then find Vamassian and then it's his problem, not yours. What else was he supposed to do? Even so, Karine's pleading look kept hovering up at the back of his mind, always melting away into Vamassian's shark smile.

The stairwells and hallways were strangely empty, leaving Rhenat with nothing but row after row of hotel room doors with dulled brass number plaques, and the sound of his own heartbeat fluttering sickly in his chest. The gang must be all downstairs, he guessed. And the refugees must be...under lock and key upstairs. He shuddered and huffed a breath. Just find Vamassian!

Rhenat's feet had carried him up to the first floor without his conscious intervention, and he had just stopped to wonder why when he noticed that one of the doors ahead of him was ajar. As he stopped and his heartbeat quietened a little, he realised that he could hear sounds from inside. It sounded like ragged breathing.

More conscious now of the sound of his scuffed leather shoes against the carpet, Rhenat shuffled closer to the door. He almost leapt back a step when the breathing beyond the door the door terminated in a sharp sigh of frustration.

"Never mind." soothed a voice. Rhenat recognised it immediately as Ellen, the doe-eyed woman who had been hanging off Vamassian's arm all night.

There was another sharp sigh.

"Here," Ellen's voice said, full of concern, "Just let me..."

"No." Vamassian's voice punctured the air like a bullet. Rhenat heard the quiet metallic rattle of a belt buckle being fastened.

"What's wrong, Sam?" he heard Ellen coaxing insistently. "Tell me."

"This isn't real." Vamassian growled. "You're not real."

Rhenat crept close enough to peer through the door slit, but he couldn't see either of the speakers; just a sliver of the wall and its dog-eared wallpaper, stained a gloomy amber by the electric lumoglobes.

"What are you talking about?" Ellen's voice asked. She sounded hurt. "You know I love you."

Hidden within the room Vamassian gave a grunt, a grunt which turned into a bitter cackle of laughter. A blue light that seared Rhenat's eyes flashed across the wall, temporarily eclipsing the lamplight.

"Say it again." Vamassian challenged. A few moments later there was the thud of someone being pushed, and Rhenat nearly jumped back from the door as Ellen reeled suddenly into his field of view, her back thumping into the wall. Her breathing was frantic, and her eyes were saucer-wide.

"Go on, say it again!" Vamassian's voice thundered.

Rhenat flinched, and so did Ellen. Her hands were splayed against the wall as if she were trying to flatten herself further into it. Her lips stammered, trying to form words.

Vamassian snorted as he came stalking into Rhenat's thin field of view. He reached out with a clawed hand and grabbed Ellen by the hair at the top of her head. Again the blue light flashed, but now Rhenat could see that it was boiling up like fire from between Vamassian's fingers, and spraying in nightmarish shafts from Ellen's gaping eyes and mouth. Rhenat tried to move - he wasn't sure in which direction. An insane impulse to burst forward into the room was cancelled out by an overwhelming urge to flee the scene, and in the end he just stood rooted to the spot, frozen solid.

The glare faded, and as Vamassian dropped his hand Ellen blinked, shaking her head as if surfacing from a reverie.

"Sorry, I zoned out for a second there." she said, smiling nervously. "Did you say something?"

Vamassian's jaw twitched as he ground his teeth together. "Nothing."

Ellen clasped his forearms, her thumbs rubbing small, soothing circles into the silk material of his shirt. "Talk to me, Sam. What do you want me to do?"

Vamassian exhaled deeply. "I want you to frak off, Ellen. Frak off out of my sight, and then frak off some more."

Ellen looked crestfallen as she dropped her hands to her sides. "Oh...okay. Come find me if you need me."

A jolt of ice spiked through Rhenat's stomach as he realised that Ellen was walking towards the door, while he still stood pressed up against the crack. He leapt back just in time.

"Oh." Ellen said in surprise, stopping in the doorframe as she registered him. "Hiya, Rhen. You looking for Sam?"

She was actually smiling, Rhenat thought in utter consternation. For a moment, his mind's eye painted hellish rays of blue light over the woman's doe eyes and smiling mouth, and Ellen's smile became Vamassian's dead shark grin.

"Uh..." he croaked, and had to cough to clear his constricted throat. "Uh, yeah, Sam. I mean, Mr Vamassian."

Vamassian appeared behind Ellen, tightening his belt and pushing the tails of his silk shirt back into his trousers. He did not look like he was in a patient mood.

"What do you want, Rhen?" he said, in a dangerously calm voice.

"Um..." Rhenat floundered, suddenly struggling to remember what Buzz-Cut had sent him up here for in the first place. "The girl...the one who's due to go up with the duke."

Karine. a voice in his head castigated him. She has a name and it's Karine, you useless prick!

"Karine." he said, standing a little straighter. "She, um...she says she doesn't want to..."

Vamassian scowled impatiently. "What are you talking about?"

Rhenat shrank back down. "She changed her mind." he explained, cuffing at his nose. "She...doesn't wanna go."

Vamassian stalked forward, pushing roughly past Rhenat. "For frak's sake."

+ + + + + +

Alexi, Anais

"At least now we won't have to listen to Kimmie ranting on about justice." Alexi commented wryly as the remainder of the group threaded their way through the underhive backstreets. The crumbling walls around them were sweating, damp with pre-dawn dew.

Quintus, who was panning his long rifle from left to right across the road ahead, paused to look back and cock a curious eyebrow. "You think justice doesn't matter down here, just because we have to make it ourselves?"

"What justice have you succeeded in making down here?" Alexi asked pointedly.

Quintus frowned. "The Kingsmen have opposed the Refuge's trafficking operation since they started it. Those were our children."

"I didn't mean the Kingsmen." Alexi said evenly. "I meant you personally. What justice have you seen or made to have such faith in it?"

Quintus lowered his rifle, satisfied that the way ahead was clear, and considered the question.

"My father never looked at my mother the same way after he found out she was sleeping with Hayk. A few weeks later, he took a kitchen knife and stabbed her to death. And he got away with it. No-one cared, not in the underhive. I ran away and joined the Kingsmen, and they took me in after I turned out to be really good at sniping the plague rats that used to invade the hideouts. I ran away, but I didn't forget my father, because my mother's blood demanded justice. It wasn't until ten years later that I went back and put a bullet in his skull."

The Kingsman chewed his tongue.

"I know the Red King frowns on that, but I didn't think my father's skull was worthy of sitting beneath the brass throne."

Alexi was silent for a moment as he mulled Quintus' words. "You could call that justice, or you could call it vengeance. You could do it in the Red King's name, or Kim's Emperor's, or your own. Whichever way, you're just dressing up the fact that someone needed to die, and you carried it out. No different from now."

"You have no faith in anything?" Primus observed. He had ghosted to the tattooed man's side without Alexi's notice. The man's brief twitch of surprise caused Anais to laugh from behind them.

"Hm." Primus grunted, a mirthless smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "That's even more dangerous than a faith that's misguided."

Quintus' brow furrowed. "For someone who claims to be such a nihilist, Alexi, you preach a lot. You're not from around here. What would you know?"

"Little enough." Alexi rallied with a grin, and his smile did something disconcerting to the tattoos looping across his cheeks. "Just that the Refuge need to die, and that we're carrying it out."

+ + + + + +

Rhen

The grinning blue light faded.

"Now listen to me." Vamassian soothed. He dropped his hands from around Karine's head and down onto her shoulders, stopping slightly so that he could look her in the eye. "You're going to go with the duke, you're going to do anything he asks you to do, and you're going to love it. Like a good little serving girl, understand?"

Karine's blonde hair bobbed around her cheeks as she nodded. She cleared her throat, and brushed the tears away from her eyes.

"You'd better go upstairs and fix your makeup before you go." Vamassian observed.

"Yeah." Karine agreed with another nod, and hurried past Rhenat towards the door. This time, she didn't look towards him for help.

Rhenat still wasn't sure why he had followed Vamassian all the way back to the empty dining room, only to stand back dumbly as another flash of blue light filled the chamber. For a second, he had wanted to seize one of the stacked chairs and smash it across the back of Vamassian's head. But then he imagined what might happen to him if he tried.

"What?" Vamassian shattered his thoughts, flexing the fingers of his right hand as he appraised Rhenat's clenched jaw and balled, trembling fists. "Would you prefer she went up there sobbing? Be glad the duke isn't one of the ones who likes it when they cry. Now will you do something useful and find Gor? Tell him to vox Emma and Maria again and find out what the frak is taking them so long with the next shipment."

"Uh," Rhenat heard himself say. "Yeah, right."

He blundered through the door and past a knot of chattering Refuge gangers. The young guard's unfamiliar clothes felt suddenly tight against his skin, almost making him want to tear them off. He looked down at the blue and white cross that had been inked into his right palm, and scrubbed at it with his other hand as if it could somehow erase the brand.

How in frak did I end up here? I just stood around and let Big Sam hand kids over to monsters from uphive? Why didn't I care? Why didn't I care?

"Hey, Rhen!" one of the gangers leaning up against the wall hailed him. It was Floppy-Hair; Rhenat hadn't even been paying enough attention to recognise him. "What's up with you, mate?"

The young ganger flashed his easy grin as he pushed off the wall to clap an arm around Rhen's shoulders. "I know you gotta soft spot for the 'fugee kids but they all gotta go uphive sometime, right?"

Rhenat felt his hands balling into fists a second time.

"Listen, mate," he snapped, shrugging off the young man's arm. "If you've got nothing constructive to add, then please shut the frak up."

Leaving Floppy-Hair and the other gangers baffled in his wake, he fled up the corridor towards the stairwell. He strained his ears, trying vainly to pick up the sound of Karine's footsteps trotting away up the stairs ahead of him. It wasn't too late, he told himself desperately - whatever the hell that frakker Vamassian had done to her head. He could still find her, maybe talk his way past the armed guard upstairs...and then...

And then he had no frakking clue.

Clawing at the bannister as he ran to haul himself up the stairs, he ran straight into Hadrak coming the other way. The red-haired underhiver cursed in surprise.

"Watch it, Rhen." he cautioned, though without aggression. Just his voice had a steadying effect on Rhen's thoughts.

Hadrak, he realised suddenly. He's new to all this shit as well. What's he gonna be thinking? Right now he felt like one of the few people around here Rhenat might be able to trust - and something told Rhenat that if he had a plan, it'd be a far better one than anything he himself would come up with.

"Um..." he asked Hadrak, "Do you have a minute to talk?" He slid his eyes to the side and followed it with a jerk of his head. "Like, outside? Away from all this shit?"

The tall man frowned. "Are you alright?"

Rhenat cuffed his nose. "Nah, man. I'm pretty frakkin' far from alright.

+ + + + + +

Kimmie, Shift

"Good new house for Melina, hmm?" Kim joked quietly as they crouched by one of the last support pillars for the overpass before it tunnelled away into the wall of the hive spire.

The Mertesari hotel loomed ahead of them, half in the shadow of the overpass, with the scowling curtain wall at its back. The hotel itself had a wall too, ringing the dark marble plaza that sat directly in front of it. Behind the iron gates, a strange silver vehicle that resembled a motorcade without wheels was parked up beside a row of more traditional black sedans. No guards were in evidence, though the hotel still had the look of a locked-down fortress about it - above the faded carvings and columned portico, all of the windows were barred and blacked out. A solid head-high wall ringed the flat roof, though Kim and Shift could see the tops of threadbare trees climbing above it.

"If we can get up onto the overpass then we could drop down onto the roof garden." Kim suggested. "There must be a door we can cut through."

The missionary shook her head.

"They must be confident that they're safe up here by the spire. Not a single guard." She narrowed her eyes at the out of place silver motorcade. "Who...?"

She instinctively broke off and drew back into the shadow of the overpass as the double doors beneath the portico creaked open. Two men emerged - a tall armoured man with flowing copper hair, and a shorter, skinnier youth in scruffy clothes that looked like they'd been made to fit someone else. The tall man was measured in his strides, though he glanced several times at the younger man, who kept looking nervously back over his shoulder. As they crossed the courtyard paving stones the youth looked ahead again and waved at someone out of sight behind the gate.

One guard at least, then. Shift mentally corrected Kim's initial assessment, as something electronic buzzed and the iron gates swung open with a squeal of hinges. The two men continued walking out into the road, some distance past the wall. As they got closer, the two women got a better look at the armoured man and the broad chainsword that was slung across his back in a metal scabbard. A knife and a pistol sat at his hips, and his blue-eyed face was calm but observant.

"I recognise him." Kim hissed in the barest whisper from beside Shift. "Hadrak?"

"Alright Rhen, I think we're safe out here." the tall man frowned, crossing his arms. "Now what's this about?"

"Don't take this the wrong way or anythin'," the youth said sarcastically, his accent gutter Vaxan, "But were you kicked in the head when you were a child? What d'you think this is about? Have you no' seen what's utterly frakked about this place?"

The tall man's frown deepened. "I tried to have a look around while you were all meeting the duke, but they turned me back...several times. I have suspicions, but nothing substantiated."

"They're slaving them, you dense motherfrakker!" the youth snapped. "They're locking them up and that warper Vamassian's doing something to them so's they actually want it. He weren't even shy about it, he did it right in fronta me!"

"Keep your voice down." the tall man warned, gesturing down with his left hand. His right had drifted to the butt of his laspistol.

The tall man's steady command quietened the youth, but instead of shouting he pressed the heels of his hands against his temples and shook his head in obvious distress. "I can't remember what happened before tonight. I know I wasn't alright with it, because I'm not alright with it now. So why didn't I say nothin'?"

"Fear?" the tall man suggested. "Peer pressure? I know you want to look tough in front of the other gangers."

"Hey." the youth accused, dropping one fist from his bloodshot eyes to jab a finger at the tall man. "Frak the frak off."

"You put up a front, Rhen," the tall man said levelly. "And if you want my honest opinion it's not a very good one. But that doesn't matter right now. You say you don't remember what came before?"

The youth nodded shakily. "Yeah. It's frakked up, man - it's like I woke up in someone else's life outside that burnin' frakkin' warehouse...I remember my mum kickin' the shit outta me, an' I remember that frakkin' lizard I went chasing down the frakkin' sewers, but everything else?"

He put his fists to his ears and then flung his hands outward, as if to mime his head exploding.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

(OOC - white text is Dakkagor's)

Kimmie, Shift

"Good new house for Melina, hmm?" Kim joked quietly.

“Keeping a place that big clean would be a nightmare, I'd bet.” Shift returned.

They were crouched by one of the last support pillars for the overpass, before it tunnelled away into the wall of the hive spire. The Mertesari hotel loomed ahead of them, half in the shadow of the overpass, with the scowling curtain wall at its back. The hotel itself had a wall too, ringing the dark marble plaza that sat directly in front of it. Behind the iron gates, a strange silver vehicle that resembled a motorcade without wheels was parked up beside a row of more traditional black sedans. No guards were in evidence, though the hotel still had the look of a locked-down fortress about it - above the faded carvings and columned portico, all of the windows were barred and blacked out. A solid head-high wall ringed the flat roof, though Kim and Shift could see the tops of threadbare trees climbing above it.

"If we can get up onto the overpass then we could drop down onto the roof garden." Kim suggested. "There must be a door we can cut through."

The missionary shook her head.

"They must be confident that they're safe up here by the spire. Not a single guard." She narrowed her eyes at the out of place silver motorcade. "Who...?"

She instinctively broke off and drew back into the shadow of the overpass as the double doors beneath the portico creaked open. Two men emerged - a tall armoured man with flowing copper hair, and a shorter, skinnier youth in scruffy clothes that looked like they'd been made to fit someone else. The tall man was measured in his strides, though he glanced several times at the younger man, who kept looking nervously back over his shoulder. As they crossed the courtyard paving stones the youth looked ahead again and waved at someone out of sight behind the gate.

One guard at least, then. Shift mentally corrected Kim's initial assessment, as something electronic buzzed and the iron gates swung open with a squeal of hinges. The two men continued walking out into the road, some distance past the wall. As they got closer, the two women got a better look at the armoured man and the broad chainsword that was slung across his back in a metal scabbard. A knife and a pistol sat at his hips, and his blue-eyed face was calm but observant.

"I recognise him." Kim hissed in the barest whisper from beside Shift. "Hadrak?"

Shift blinked, remembering some particularly immoral thoughts that made her blush. “Yeah, I remember him too.” She whispered back. “So he's got to be one of ours.”

She snapped the telescope closed.

“If he's walking in and out, he's got to have free access. He might be our way in.”

+ + + + + +

Shift crawled, darted through the shadows towards the pair. A pretty thorough killzone had been cut back around the outer wall, but there were still enough dips and obstacles for her to work with.

She circled round, behind the one that wasn't Hadrak, the kid in the clothes that didn't fit. The two were talking about something, but they were being quiet. She drew and unfolded her crossbow, and covered the last of the distance on her belly, silently crawling through the ash and dust of the hive bottom.

The kid was being loud and angry. Hadrak was frowning, and then the kid made a gesture, miming his head exploding.

Sarna rose up behind him, crossbow levelled at his currently unexploded head.

“Hadrak.”

The big guy had gone for his pistol. The kid had wheeled and went pale as a sheet, but wisely kept his hands away from his sides and his mouth shut.

“Is this guy good?”

“Sarna.” Hadrak breathed out, letting his pistol drop. “Where the Horus have you been? And yes, he's good, for now.”

“Busy.” Shift responded. Her name barely caused a ripple of pain now. She remembered Hadrak well, but only because she had been nursing a massive crush on the statuesque ex-guardsman. “I've got a team pulled together to finish the job, wipe out the Refuge."

"To finish the job?" Hadrak frowned. Then his eyes widened, as something behind them suddenly clicked into place.

"Are we safe to talk?" She directed this last question at the kid. He was standing very, very still, which endeared him immensely to Shift. She neglected to mention anything about the team, because beggars couldn't be choosers, and they were definitely beggars currently.

“Yeah, I reckon we've got a couple of minutes before the guy at the gate gets twitchy. Who the frak are you?”

“She's a friend, Rhen.” Hadrak put a big hand on the kid, gently pulling him away from the lithe assassin. He turned back to Shift. “You look like shit.”

“It's been a long night.” She responded with a shrug. “Can you get me and my team in? Six bodies plus weapons.”

“Maybe.” Hadrak looked over to Rhen. “Any ideas?”

“Are you frakking insane! The only people who go in or out are Refuge or slaves...” Rhen trailed off. “Varmassian's missing a shipment. Did you have anything to do with that?”

“Might of.” She shrugged again. “So what?”

The kid swallowed, and cracked his knuckles. “Uh...well, if the shipment arrives...”

“Then we can just walk right in.” Sarna nodded. “I like it. What about weapons?”

“They don't seem to frisk people coming in," Hadrak offered. "I assume that's meant to have been done further down the chain. If you get to the hotel I think you're meant to be clean already, but you'll need a disguise.”

“I didn't think many people showed up in armoured bodygloves and loaded down with weapons. Can you help?”

Hadrak considered. “That place is stuffed with clothes. We get you dressed up, walk you in and claim you are the survivors of the shipment. Easy.”

“I hope so.”

+ + + + + +

“I don't like it.” Quintus pursed his lips and shook his head. “It leaves too much to chance.”

“If we try to vault the walls or drop onto the roof, there is every chance we'll be spotted before we enter the building.” Sarna responded.

“It is risky.” Primus chimed in. “But four women have more chance getting through that gate than all of us. If you make your way to the roof and eliminate any guards, the rest of us can move in from the overpass.”

“Wait, we're meant to get everyone in through the front!” Kimmie interjected, looking to Sarna. “Right?”

“The house only handles the women and girls.” Primus frowned. “And boys.”

Sarna suppressed a shudder, and was about to argue, when Anais piped up. “Here they come.”

The dipped headlights of a black ground car came swinging into the alley, rolling to a stop between the overflowing rubbish skips. The headlights died with the engine, and Hadrak and the kid from earlier clambered out. The kid had a heavy kit bag slung round his shoulder, and kept glancing behind him.

"I talked to Nara." Hadrak explained, pushing a strand of copper hair out of his eyes. "She thinks we're out looking for Em and 'Ria. She seemed alright with Rhen asking to come along."

"Yeah, and why wouldn't she?" the kid challenged, and then stopped in his tracks when he saw Primus and Quintus standing at ease with the others. "Oh, frak no. You guys work for...for..." His fear was evident, even if he couldn't seem to connect it to a word.

"The frakking Reds?" Quintus suggested, with a very white smile. His scoped rifle sat easily in his hands. "I'm afraid you missed a couple."

"What did you bring the kid for?" Alexi growled, frowning ominously at the youth. "Who is he?"

In spite of everything, the kid rounded on Alexi. "Rhen Nazarian." he scowled. "Who the frak are you?"

Primus broke into sudden laughter. The rangy Kingsman pushed away from the wall he was leaning against to squeeze Shift's shoulder, and then to give Kim a less affectionate thump on the back. "See, missionary? Just have faith, and the Red King rewards us. Here's the boy you were so keen to save. Hm. I hope you're impressed."

Rhen looked from Kim to Primus, and fidgeted with the strap of his kit bag. "Can one of you tell me what the frak he's on about?
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 06-12-2017 at 06:57 AM.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

"What it means, Rhen, is you are currently the luckiest member of the Refuge in the Hive" She poked him in the chest. "Because your sister made us promise to keep your sorry arse alive when we went for Vamassian."

"My. . ." he blinked. "Um. . .right. Okay. What happened to her? Is she alright?"

"She is, thanks to Sarna." Kim nodded her head towards the assassin. "We dropped her off at a clinic, and she should be safe there."

"More important than that." Shift interjected. "Is did you deliver?"

"We did." Hadrak motioned to Rhen, who hurriedly unlimbered his tatty kit bag and tossed it to Shift, who opened it up with some excitement. She quickly pulled out three sets of low-hive menial bodysuits, some shawls and some blankets, stained and musty but otherwise intact.

"These are good." Shift muttered. "But we only have three here."

"It turns out a lot of this stuff gets destroyed, burned, once the girls fates are decided." Hadrak responded. "We had to improvise."

Shift found the 'improvisation'. A short skirt, tottering heels and a black top that was more suggestion than clothing, paired with heavily laddered fishnets and a small compact of cheap makeup. the kind of clothing that one might find on a low rent call girl. She held them up against her profile and looked over the other three women, reaching the same conclusion that Kim did a second later.

"Are you," the missionary blinked, slipping into full stern preacher mode, "Taking the piss?"

Rhen hurriedly pointed at Hadrak. "It were his idea, not mine!"

"Sarna can't wear that into the compound!" Kim hissed, horrified. "It's the barest suggestion of clothes! Where on Terra is she meant to conceal any weapons?"

"There's a knife sheath I can take from my webbing and strap to my thigh, under the skirt." Shift responded evenly. She gripped hold of her bodygloves zip, on the back of her neck, and started to pull it down, peeling the synskin suit off without any preamble. "We had better hurry. I doubt these two will stay missed for long."

+++++

Silus hated these graveyard shifts. The hive wastes were as dark as sin and miserable to look at, and he always imagined that there were a dozen reds waiting out there to scalp him and drink his blood. He just wanted to get back into the compound, take a hit on the pipe and crawl back into bed. He wasn't stupid enough to use Obscura on shift, but the boss had made it clear that as long as it didn't interfere with his job, he could do as he pleased off shift.

His partner tonight was useless, an old hand named Karde. He was snoring in the little hut they had, making a sound like a maglev rumbling along tracks. Silus left the hut and stepped away out into the gate, coughing into his hands, mainly to get away from the noise, and the smell. Karde's teeth were full of cavities from a lifetime of using things harder than Obscura, and when he snored a hot reek like a corpse in a ditch wafted out of the old man's mouth. He claimed to be clean now, but Silus thought he was full of shit.

Stepping out into the gate, PDF-surplus lasrifle hanging from a strap on his shoulder, bumping against his PDF-surplus flak jacket that stank of other men's sweat. He nearly jumped out his skin when six figures came out of the murk beyond the chem-lights. The mouthy kid Rhen, the new hardcase Harrak. . .Haddok, something like that. Behind them trailed three . . . no, four women.

"Who are these then?" He called out as Hannak waved at him. He heard the irregular rumble of Karde's snoring interrupt. At least the man slept on a hair trigger.

"From the last shipment. They tell me they got hit by a few Reds."

Silus cursed, roundly and fluently. "I thought Tumassian said we had dealt with the last of those frak-wits."

"Yeah, well, doesn't seem that frakking way." Rhen snapped. "You gonna call us in or what?"

Karde joined them, fumbling with a heavy lamp pack, which once he got working he shined in each of the women's faces. They were a sorry, dirty, dishevelled looking lot, but one trailing at the back seemed the worse. Clearly some street walker, clutching a bag of her last possessions.

"What you doing here missy?" Karde cackled. "You don't look like a refugee." His hand snapped out with alarming speed, grabbing the woman. . well the girl's chin. With the light shining on her face, Silus could make out the elfin features and smudged makeup tracked with tears and mixed with dirt. "Pretty one though, but not one of ours."

Silus got a sudden sensation that the rest of the group tensed, as if expecting something to happen. It amplified his nerves. He unshipped his lasrifle.

"Hands off the merchandise!" The young girl stepped back and slapped Karde's grasping hand away as it began to move down towards her chest. "You want any of this you have to pay for it! Some jackass blew up a house on my row, set the lot of them on fire, and I was told if I was willing to work I could crash here."

"Alright, you prissy little bitch, just having some fun!" Karde backed up, showing his moonscape smile and raising his hands defensively. "You head on up to the big house, and they'll set you up."

The group relaxed, and Silus did as well. He gestured up the path to the main door.

"Head on in, and I'll call ahead for the main door."

As they walked away, Karde called out something lewd and inappropriate, even for their business. The street walker turned back and gave an elegant middle finger, and then stalked off behind the others.

"Godsdamnit Karde, you are such an ass." With a sigh, Silus picked up the phone and called the group in.

+++++

"That was pretty amazing." Kim whispered in Sarna's ear. She was affecting a slumped posture, hands wrapped round a grubby cloak to conceal the autogun she was hugging tight to her chest. "You got the accent spot on."

"It's not over yet." Shift was shaking slightly, and willed her hands to stop trembling. "We still need to get to the roof and let the rest in."

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

In what had once been the hotel's first floor function suite, the atmosphere was tense. Vamassian and the duke glared at each other warily, while the duke's hairless adjutant tapped a digital stylus over a brushed-metal dataslate, and one of Vamassian's own men worked a more crude desktop cogitator.

"Funds have transferred, boss." the ganger confirmed, patting the top of the display screen in a benediction that any tech-priest would have found insulting.

Vamassian hitched up a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Thank you for your custom, gentlemen. Your new handmaid will be down shortly."

Neither the duke nor his bodyguard answered, though the duke waved stiffly at the portly youth, who hurried forward and held out the decorated box he had been carrying.

Vamassian squinted at it. "What's this?"

"An extra token of our appreciation." the bodyguard explained, without inflection.

Vamassian took the box from the young man, and placed it down next to the cogitator before flipping up the silver catches. Inside was a flute-barrelled handgun made of oil-sheen metal. The grip was sleek, and imprinted as if to fit the fingers of a hand, though it seemed like the fingers it was designed for were slightly too long, and slightly too thin. The end of the grip hooked and narrowed into a raking, forward-swept blade, and a second wicked knife-point jutted forward from underneath the barrel. The gun had no magazine, only a translucent purple orb nestled behind the iron sights. Four more orbs, roughly the size of Vamassian's clenched fist, were nestled on the velvet cushion beneath the gun.

"Alien?" Vamassian asked, unable to hide his surprise.

"An Eldar splinter pistol." the bodyguard confirmed, watching Vamassian's hands carefully. "Use it sparingly. The ammunition isn't exactly commonplace."

Vamassian picked up the bladed pistol, fitting his hand awkwardly around the alien contours. The gun had no trigger; instead he felt a rough metal stud under his curled fingertip, shaped like a jagged rune. He aimed the pistol experimentally at a painting of some long-dead hive worthy that was hanging on the nearest wall.

"I wonder if this would go through armourweave?"

"Are you threatening his grace, Mr Vamassian?" the bodyguard drawled dangerously.

Vamassian lowered the gun, turning his frozen smile on the duke instead of his translating bodyguard. "My dear duke, if I was going to hurt you, the last thing I'd do would be warn you in advance."

The duke cocked a scarred eyebrow at his bodyguard, who translated with an obvious scowl. To the surprise of both Vamassian and the bodyguard, the duke simply laughed - a sharp, harsh bark that rebounded from the vaulted ceiling. The sound was answered by the squeal of a battered vox set. A ganger in a silver-streaked leather jacket hurried forward and held the worn-out device towards Vamassian. "Gatehouse, boss."

Vamassian took it. "Sy? Tell me that Em and 'Ria have finally pulled their fingers out and gotten back with the group from the boat."

The vox fizzed blankly as the ganger at the security post hesitated. "Well...yeah and no, boss. Harrak and Rhen found them, but there was only three of them left. They say Em and 'Ria got whacked by Reds."

Vamassian was silent for a long moment, an icy statue in the middle of the ebbing and flowing banquet hall. "What do you mean they got hit by Reds? Where are they?"

The ganger on the other end of the vox floundered helplessly. "They went inside, boss...guess they took the 'fugees to the kitchen for a bite to eat before they processed them?"

Vamassian squeezed the alien pistol so hard that the misshapen grip dug into his hand as he turned on his heel and began to push through the gangers standing between him and the door.

+ + + + + +

Following Rhen's lead, they broke right into the east wing fire escape. They met nobody on the staircase - most of the Refuge seemed to be milling about the ground floor, or attending Vamassian and the duke.

"Where can we find the Slaver?" Anais growled, looking intensely at Rhen.

"Um..." the young underhiver answered, intimidated by her feral glare even when she was swathed in a ratty shawl and patchwork bodyglove. "Vamassian's lounge and bedroom are on the second floor, west wing. But I dunno if he'll still be there like - last I heard he was talkin' payment with the duke..."

The boy cuffed at his nose, evidently upset by something he was reluctant to elaborate on.

"We need to let the others in first." Kim reminded him. "Where's the roof exit?"

"On the other fire escape that runs up between the two wings." Rhen answered.

"I'll hold here," Hadrak said calmly, and unlimbered his chainsword from his back. "To stop anyone coming up from this side and shooting you in the back. Rhen, you stick close to the others and then stay on the roof, alright?"

"No worries, mate." Rhen mumbled, and cracked his knuckles nervously.

They crossed a long corridor of closed guest rooms without incident, and found the central staircase, which narrowed and changed from faded wood to concrete as it carried on up to the roof. Shift volunteered to scout the topside, leaving the others waiting tensely below. She met her first obstacle when she found that the steel door had a keypad lock, with most of the numbers completely faded away.

"Rhen?"

Rhen shuffled forward and peered past her, seemingly intimidated by getting close to Shift in her scant clothing. "Uh..." He squinted at the keypad for a moment. "Oh wait, yeah, I remember this. 7-9-2-4."

He punched in a code, and heard the door click. It opened onto a converted roof garden, with a flat wooden rig that had been laid over the roof's original roof arch. Holes had been cut for the slanted skylights, which were pretected by waist-high wooden railings that looked decidedly flimsy. Trees with black, red-veined leaves grew from recessed squares around the patio, and there were wooden benches that were in sore need of repainting. At some point, an incongruous concrete wall had been installed around the perimeter, blocking off the view of everything but the glaring spire-lights and the overpass where it joined the access tunnel in the spire's curtain wall.

Two young men in cross-marked jackets were passing a bottle back and forth beneath one of the trees, and yawning as the long night started to catch up with them. They turned and called to Rhen by name when they saw him. Then they clocked Shift hovering behind him.

"Seriously?" one of them asked.

"There's plenty of free rooms on 2, Rhen." the other put in, looking confused. "You didn't have to take her up to the frakkin' roof."

"He's a romantic, ain't he?" the first youth punched his friend on the arm. He ran a half-interested eye down Shift's laddered fishnets. "Not sure if she is, like. Come on, let's not frak with a bro when he finally gets lucky."

"Call me up when you're done, eh?" the other nudged Rhen as he passed. "Big Sam'll get mardy if no-one's watching the roof, even if the Reds are all dead now."

Rhen snuck Shift an embarrassed glance as the two of them stepped out onto the now-deserted rooftop.

"Hey, wait a second. Rhen!"

The young ganger froze in place, unable to answer, or even to turn around. There was a moment of hair-trigger silence.

"I'm a bit disappointed in you, man. I thought you had better standards!"

Rhen sighed out a breath he hadn't even realised he was holding as the youths' laughter retreated down the stairs.

Flattened against the wall behind the chipped fire door, Kim grabbed Anais' arm to hold her back as the two youths passed the stairs outside, still laughing.

"They're not armed." she told the feral worlder. Just because a bad shepherd leads them astray, it doesn't mean the flock can't be saved.

Anais hissed quietly through her teeth.

+ + + + + +

Inquisition void-runner Furia, Vaxanide low orbit

The strip-lights above the Furia's sensorium had been at full burn for over eight hours now, and the gallery was becoming stuffy from the heat dumped by the overworked cogitators. The circulators rattled as they fought to keep air flowing through the deck, and beneath it Erdene's mechanically-tuned ear could pick up the almost imperceptible hum of the arti-grav plates, buzzing as if Furia herself was agitated. The interrogator rested her square jaw on her hands for a moment, and scrubbed the grit out of her almond-shaped eyes.

Marrick and herself had been working rolling shifts all through the night since Marrick had cracked his way into the hive surveillance systems, although there was precious little coverage of the crumbling underhive, and sending down skull-probes would have stuck out like an albino ovigor on the Atillan steppe. The two of them were working hard to comb through the data, but Erdene was certain that the inquisitor himself hadn't slept at all. He had remained by the logic engine all night, hunched like a vulture inside his grey longcoat, teeth clenched and fists pressed into the steel lectern as his grey eyes darted between the warp augers and the surface vid feeds.

Knowing that inquisitor Lucullis was no doubt far more tired than she was prompted Erdene to sit straight again and hook the vox headset back round her ear. She cycled through hive Gendarme channels, border checkpoints and even underhive vox-cast stations, listening for any hint of disturbance as she tapped through their small pool of surveillance cameras with the digital stylus in her other hand.

And as she returned to the security feed covering the arterial road into the lowhive, there he was, right in front of her.

"Emperor's teeth." she breathed. "Inquisitor!"

Lucullis looked up, frowning slightly - at her having taken the Emperor's name in vain, Erdene supposed. She would make her contrition to the ancestor spirits later.

"Sir!" she elaborated, knowing that Lucullis was rarely impressed by ambiguous reports, "Alexi's survived, he's on the arterial near the entrance tunnel."

Inquisitor Lucullis crossed the sensorium with stiff strides and peered over Erdene's shoulder to scrutinise the two men dodging through the hooded glow of the roadside lamps.

"Who is that with him?"

"No idea." Erdene admitted as Marrick darted across the gallery to join them.

"Let's get him out of there." Lucullis stated flatly. "So he can tell us just what happened."

Erdene pushed up out of her chair, feeling her tiredness fall away from her in a surge of adrenaline. "I'll prep Khu Laan."

+ + + + + +

Primus and Alexi dropped from the bridge as Shift waved them down. Primus tossed Shift her power-sword with a sly grin, and Alexi made his way to the nearest skylight.

"This looks as good as any." the tattooed man observed, looking to Primus and Shift. "I assume you two want to take point?"

The dusty glass of the skylight was old, and the sealing plastek that held it to its warped and peeling frame was black, rotted through. Primus vaulting the guard rail and landing on it with both feet was enough to knock the whole pane clear so that it fell and shattered on the floor below. The Kingsman landed with a crunch among the shards, Shift twisting down to land beside him. Her feet thumped against old wood covered by threadbare carpet. They were in a long dormitory, made up of what looked to have once been several guest rooms with the internal walls since knocked through. Now it held a haphazard collection of camp beds, sofas and tattered mattresses, all of them crammed with children ranging in age from perhaps five to ten.

All of them were gazing in terror at the two intruders, and more than one of them let out a shriek of alarm.

"Eva?" a gruff voice questioned from behind a door in the inner wall. Shift heard keys rattling, and then a click as the door began to swing open.

Primus was closest. His ignited power-sword was a glowing green bar against the gloom as he rammed it point first through the door, fissuring the wood. There was a strangled cough of shock, and the bang of a pistol discharging as a finger tightened around its trigger in death reflex. Primus jerked his hissing blade back, leaving the door to fall open and a skewered body to tumble to the floor, smoking from the exit wound in the middle of its back.

Directly in front of Shift, a girl roughly her age sporting blue-dyed hair and a leather jacket was kneeling next to one of the beds. What looked like a children's story book had fallen onto the floor beside her. The young boy in the bed was staring at Shift, and trying to hide behind his stained and threadbare blanket. The teenage girl wore a matching look of baffled dismay as she took in Shift's ragged clothes, her thrumming power-sword and her murderer's smile. She got slowly to her feet and shakily raised her hands, revealing a blue and white cross on her palm.

+ + + + + +

The sharp crack was muffled against the hubbub of conversation, but everyone in the dining hall recognised it. The duke's broad face snapped up towards the cracked ceiling, ice-shard eyes narrowing.

The doughy youth gaped. "Was that...?"

The bodyguard was already moving, cursing aloud as he yanked a wood-grip pistol from its chest holster with one hand and pulled the duke down with the other.

"Code blue!" he barked into the button vox attached to his flak-coat collar. "We need extraction now!"

+ + + + + +

Quintus had taken the ladder up to the maintenance rat-run that hung beneath the arterial, giving him cover from eyes both below and above. Even before he had joined the Kingsmen, he had liked to sit in such high spots and watch ebb and flow of the underhive. It was from one such spot that he had avenged his mother by taking his murdering father's head. Now he lay flat with his rifle resting on the gantry rail, ready to halt any Refuge slavers who tried to escape the justice of Primus and their new allies.

The Red King wills it.

He heard the whickering thrum of the grav-car before he saw it - a chrome motorcade, matching the one already parked in the courtyard, diving down out of the lights of the hive spire.

Somebody from uphive had picked precisely the wrong moment to interfere.

Someone in the security hut by the gate shouted in protest at the unexpected arrival, and Quintus saw a young man begin to run across the courtyard, stumbling awkwardly in his PDF-surplus flak. A rifle hung loose from his shoulder strap as he waved both arms, trying to flag down the hovering vehicle. An autogun muzzle flared from the back window of the grav-car, and the youth flipped backwards mid-stride, as if he had been cut over by the swing of a poleaxe. The silver grav-car pivoted, and hammered a second burst of armour-piercing rounds into the security hut by the gate.

"King's blood!" Quintus swore as the car heeled round in the air, its doors bursting open to drop three men in heavy flak armour onto the tarmac. They hit the ground running and charged the door of the hotel, autoguns raised and blazing away. The shadowed portico flickered yellow from the muzzle flashes, and coin-sized circles of light appeared in the thick wooden doors just before the three men barged through them and vanished.

Recovering from his initial shock, Quintus jammed his eye against his rifle scope and tracked the grav car as it spun on its axis and settled in the middle of the courtyard. Through the backlit glass of the windshield, he could see a fourth man ripping off his seatbelt and reaching for a firearm stored beside his seat.

Quintus let his breath out and held it. Whoever the newcomers were, they were a threat - and a big one. He centred his crosshairs on the driver's head as it reappeared above the dashboard, then abruptly shifted his aim downwards. He still owed the Red King a skull, in payment for Kim and the others sparing his own.

The uphiver kicked open the driver-side door and began to duck out.

"Blood for the Blood God." Quintus whispered, and fired.

The door window shattered and the uphiver was spun round by the force of the impact, colliding with the side of the car before collapsing.

+ + + + + +

"They're coming." Mai warned, her eyes staring into the middle distance. A moment later, the rest of them heard footfalls pounding up the stairwell at the end of the corridor.

Kim lowered herself nimbly through the skylight, and hung there one-handed for a heartbeat before dropping into a crouch on the carpet below. The autogun hanging from her other hand was soon tight against her shoulder, but it dropped towards the ground as she registered the dormitory's occupants.

"Stay still." the missionary warned the kids in clear Vaxan gothic, dropping her off hand from her gun for a moment so she could swipe it for emphasis. She looked to Shift and the others as Alexi dropped through the skylight last, crunching the broken glass under his boots.

"We have to meet them in the corridor or they'll hit the kids." Kim snapped, "Follow me and we'll keep pushing down."

She side-skipped past Primus and through the broken door.

His will be done. The thought came to her as she dropped to one knee against the opposite wall, listening to the hostile footfalls ahead reach the landing.

"No." she murmured aloud, as she sighted down the barrel of her autogun. My will be done.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 06-11-2018 at 05:14 PM.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Directly in front of Shift, a girl roughly her age sporting blue-dyed hair and a leather jacket was kneeling next to one of the beds. What looked like a children's story book had fallen onto the floor beside her. The young boy in the bed was staring at Shift, and trying to hide behind his stained and threadbare blanket. The teenage girl wore a matching look of baffled dismay as she took in Shift's ragged clothes, her thrumming power-sword and her murderer's smile. She got slowly to her feet and shakily raised her hands, revealing a blue and white cross on her palm.

“Heretic!” Sarna snarled, flicking her blade up and ready.

"Someone is working through you, Shift." Kim said, suddenly earnest. "Whether that's my Emperor or Primus' Red King I don't know. But they made you beat Anais and save Maria's life, and stopped our mistake being one we couldn't take back. I'm absolutely certain they're still working through you now, and I'm glad it's you scouting ahead to make our plan. Just please listen to me when I say, don't do anything...impulsive."

Sarna stopped, locked out. She felt something, something angry, something white hot, boring away at her brain. It was screaming for her to do it, to punish the heretic-whore, to lay righteous justice on her for the Red King. Sarna's eyes locked with the girls, her gaze empty of anything at all. This place had emptied her out.

"You didn't see how she reacted, Alexi. She's not loyal to the Refuge, she's loyal to her brother. The cross is a gang tattoo, not a brand of damnation. How many of the others are only with the Refuge because of fear? Kill the slavers. Spare the victims."

Sarna's hands tightened around the hilt of her blade until she thought she would crush it. She felt like she was being torn in two, in two different directions.

“For. . .” She ground out. “The Emperor.”

She stepped back and away from the cowering girl, the moment passing, the pain dropping to a lingering ache, the voice becoming a frustrated hiss in her mind.

“Get that frakking thing removed.” She snapped, and turned away, marching over to the door.

“Situation?” she snarled, stacking up next to Kim. The priest turned to her, and frowned, before risking another look down the corridor. She ducked back in immediately as hard rounds gouged out chunks of plaster from the wall.

“Two thugs, both have heavy rifles.”

“Take me hostage.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

Kim relented, slung her rifle and pulled out a pistol from her battered webbing. They stepped out into the corridor together, Sarna's arm locked painfully behind her back. That's a surprisingly professional hold. Kim had her pistol jammed into her head.

“Put down your weapons, or the merchandise gets it!”

Sarna wriggled, and screamed, even managing to rustle up some convincing tears. Kim had sounded very convincing, with just the right hint of desperation.

“Let the girl go!” one of the men shouted back.

“Get me Varmassian, and I'll talk! I want out of this hell-pit!” Kim man-handled her down the corridor, towards the gunmen, still perfectly playing the part.

That's it, a bit closer.

The two men settled their rifles, clearly weighing up the chances of a through-shot to Kim. Sarna willed Kim to move them closer. One step. Two. Three.

She tapped Kim's shin with her heel, and she released the hold, pushing her towards the gunmen. Sarna turned that extra forward momentum into a lunge. It was messy, but it worked. She hit both of them, a tangle of limbs, and the knife concealed in her hand lashed out. A hail of wild shots punched holes in the ceiling before she could wrench the rifle away, but Kim was there, a step behind her, pistol locked out. Two shots, one heart and one head, finished of one while Sarna's knife settled matters with the other.

“Quick thinking.”

“It won't work twice.” Sarna turned and nodded to Primus, who tossed her her sword. “Lets get moving.”

"First the Refuge, then the hive." Primus' teeth were bared in a manic rictus grin. "Follow me, Shift. We are the first cut."

He turned into the stairwell and started down. Some sound from below made him skip back a step, half a second before bullets sawed up from below and chewed through the stairs where his feet had been a moment before. The Kingsman grunted in vexed concentration, before vaulting over the bannister with his blade slashing a green contrail through the air. The downturned blade went straight through the shooter, whose wildly swinging arm convulsed on the trigger and sent bullets stippling across the stairs and the wall. The man beside him - a man whose leather jacket was streaked with chevrons of silver paint - dodged to the side as fast as lightning and pulled out a hooked knife, turning the draw into an aggressive slash at Primus' throat. It would have been a perfect, killing stroke, if Primus' powered blade hadn't been able to glide clear of the first man's imprisoning flesh, shear through the knifeman's blade, and section him with two quick, close-quarter strokes. The third took the knifeman's head off before his quartered torso had even finished peeling apart and tumbling to the ground.

Sarna could hear gunfire coming from the ground floor below them but Primus was already forging ahead of her into the first floor accommodation wing, kicking randomly at the bedroom doors until one produced a yelp of surprise.

"The Slaver!" Sarna heard him shout. A man's confused, drunken laugh answered him.

"Vamassian!" Primus barked again, stalking into the room and out of Sarna's line of sight. "Where is he?"

A slurred, babbling answer that she couldn't make out, and then a hiss of air, superheated by the passing of a disruptor field. Sarna heard a female shriek, that was quickly cut off. A severed hand bounced out through the open door, as if the victim had been trying unsuccessfully to shield herself.

Sarna heard a scuffle behind the closed door on her left, sounding like someone crabbing back against the carpet. She nudged the door open, which produced both a creak and a desperately stifled whimper. The door opened onto a modest bedroom suite. It had been given a few touches of feminine decoration, although the aesthetic was partially undone by the way the clothes, hair irons and tubes of kohl had been scattered haphazardly across the dresser and the rumpled bedsheets. A petite woman with creamy skin and a turned-up nose had wedged herself between the bed and the dresser, and curled up there in a hasty attempt to hide. Her eyes were slightly hooded, giving them a placid, doe-like look. Or at least it would have, if she wasn't so obviously terrified.

"Good work, Shift." Primus said as he emerged from the other bedroom, blood spattered in a diagonal line across his face. He was still grinning with the joy of doing the Red King's work as he looked past Sarna at the cowering woman. "Hm. The Slaver's bitch, if I'm not mistaken."

The woman wrapped her arms tighter around her knees and ankles in an attempt to make herself even smaller.

"Where." Primus growled at her, in the same voice that Sarna had heard him use when whispering the Red God's incitement to kill. "Is Vamassian?"

"I don't know." the woman whispered. In contrast with Primus, she had almost no voice at all. "Please...please don't hurt me..."

"That's enough, Primus." Sarna whispered. Primus stalked across the mouldering carpet, raising his blade.

"I SAID THAT'S ENOUGH." She shouted. Primus wheeled on her, blade and teeth bared. Feral.

"She doesn't know. She's an innocent, unworthy of your attentions. Get out and hold the corridor." Sarna said, keeping her tone level. The voice, the pain, was back, growling in her ears, in the back of her skull, pressing behind her eyes. "He won't stay hidden for long. Now Go."

For the briefest second, Primus looked like he would argue, maybe even fight. Instead, he flicked his blade clean and shoved past Sarna.

"Weak." She thought she heard him hiss through clenched teeth.

Not me.

She got closer to the woman, who was trying desperately to press herself into the corner. Sarna dropped into a crouch, a little way away.

"Hey. Hey. Look at me."

For a second their eyes locked, and Sarna felt a terrible sadness and horror well up in her heart.

"Tell me where he is, and I swear, he will never hurt you again."

Sarna inched closer. The girl stopped inching back, instead she was shaking her head, muttering something about how Sam was a 'good guy', 'would never hurt her'.

"Please." Sarna reached out, and gently placed a hand on the womans knee. "Let me help you."

The girls vision cleared, just a fraction. She looked up and met Sarna's eyes again. There was a hint of defiance, of anger.

"They entertain guests in the old smoking room. . . if you take the stairs down a level, then left, its near the front."

Sarna nodded. She wanted to say more, do more. But there was simply no time.

She started to head downstairs, Primus falling in behind her. She was worried. The voice, the pressure to kill, was still there, still insistent, still buzzing behind her eyes. But it had stopped sounding like Primus after that last confrontation. It sounded like Shift instead.
    Last edited by dakkagor; 08-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Kimmie

"It won't work twice.” Sarna turned and nodded to Primus, who tossed her her sword. “Lets get moving.”

"We'll sweep the rest of this floor, pair off and work down the other stairways." Kim said, almost surprised at how clearly the plan had formed in her mind and how authoritatively her voice carried it. "We'll bracket anyone in your way on the next floor down. Alexi, you're with me."

She was keeping an eye on the crow.

+ + + + + +

Kim heard Anais' feral warcry ahead of her, followed by a brief burst of gunfire. By the time she and Alexi pushed into the next corridor it was deserted except for three corpses and a line of bullet holes that had raked the ceiling. One man lay broken-doll in the middle of the floor with his machine pistol at his feet and an ugly red hole underneath his jaw, his face masked by the blood he had coughed over himself. Another man had left a streak of red along the carpet, as if he had crawled before dying with his hands still clutched around his ripped throat. Slumped against one of the padlocked doors was a youth with a buzz-cut boulder for a head, his blue eyes still staring in glassy surprise as his dead hand fumbled for a holstered pistol. Kim stooped to search Anais and Mai's victims for keys. Alexi nudged the dead youth aside with his boot and pounded the door with a pistol butt.

"Rescue party!"

A fan of yellow light-threads burned through the door, punching out sprays of hardwood. One caught Alexi in the middle of his forehead, blasting half of his head against the far wall and slamming him back into his own superheated brain matter. Kim was on her feet again in an instant, cursing in shock.
    What was left of the door peeled away and collapsed, its padlock hanging brokenly from the wall. Kim heard screams from inside. Children's screams.

She ducked low and hooked round the doorway. She saw a dozen or more girls and a few boys, surely none fully grown yet, clad in grubby shorts and t-shirts and cowering against walls and behind beds. Near the back of the room was a wiry teenager in Refuge leathers, his blocky face pinched and sweating, and his eyes wild. Held against him, scrabbling at the forearm that was wrapped hard around her throat, was a girl in a black serving-maid's dress. Her blonde ringlets were spilled across her face, which was reddening as she fought to breathe. Kim only had a split second to look at them before the young ganger's other arm hooked round, holding a laspistol. Kim threw herself back into the corridor as a thread of yellow light sizzled past her and blew a chunk out of the far wall with a snap.

"You stay where you frakkin' are!" Kim heard a young man's voice squeal, in gutter Vaxan. Somehow, it didn't seem like the hostage taker was talking to her.

Kim risked another glance round the doorframe, and saw that an older girl had been edging round as if to get behind the ganger and jump him, but the youth's pistol pointed at her head sent her cowering back. The youth dragged his hostage backwards until his back was against the corner of the wall, his wavering pistol muzzle darting between the silent hostages. Then he saw Kim, but instead of levelling his pistol at her he hooked it round and ground the muzzle against the blonde girl's cheekbone. A red LED glowed on the stock above his clenched fingers, casting a tiny pool of bloody light. Kim slung her rifle across her back and stepped through the doorframe, her hands raised.

"Back off!" the youth shrieked. "I dunno who you are but back off or I'll blow her frakkin' head off!"

"I'm staying right here. You don't have to hurt her." Kim's heart was thudding in her chest but her mind was oddly calm. "I can see you're upset. Just tell me what you want."

"I wanna get out of here! I'll let her go as soon as I'm past the wall but 'til then you needta vox whoever the frak you're workin' for and back off!"

"Okay. I can get you out of here."

"You can?" The youth's eyes were narrowed suspiciously, but Kim could tell from his voice that he wanted desperately to trust her. Like Maria - not a certainty, but a promise they wanted to believe. Still a willingness to acknowledge some sliver of hope, before the world finally ground out of them.

"Yes, but you can't take her with you. What's your name?"

"What's it to you?" the youth snarled.

"Okay, I'm sorry." Kim changed tack. "Are you a guard here?"

"No! I push grinweed on street corners! Big Sam sent us up here to fetch the duke's bird, then all this shootin' kicked off!"

Kim let her eyes dart left, to the boys and girls cringing against the walls. Most were covering their mouths or hugging companions. None of them spoke - that might have just been because they didn't want the poor blonde girl's head blown off, but none of them were shooting the kind of venomous looks that might indicate that the ganger youth was lying.

"I don't wanna hurt her, don't make me hurt her!" the boy ranted desperately. "I just wanna get out of here!"

"I believe you." Kim soothed, hands open. "And I know you're not going to hurt her. Your las is empty."

In spite of himself, the youth's eyes stopped guarding Kim and dropped to the gun in his hand. "Wha-?"

"That red light, it means the power cell's empty. I'd never have put my gun away otherwise. But I wanted to give you a chance." Kim held his gaze. "Please, let her go."

There was a pregnant silence. The youth must have loosened his grip, because the blonde girl wriggled away from him, doubling him up with an elbow in the stomach for good measure. A few more of the teenage prisoners looked like they wanted to dive on the youth and tear him limb from limb, but Kim's presence kept them in check.

"You need to put that gun down." Kim told the young ganger, who was still huddled in his corner.

The youth looked panicked. "Wha-?" he said again.

"It's out of ammo, and if one of my people sees you armed they'll shoot you."

"Kimmie!" a voice shouted. It was Mai, who appeared at the door. She seemed almost excited, as if she hadn't even noticed Alexi lying dead in the corridor. "There's adult prisoners in the next section. Come on, Shift and Anais will be waiting!"

"Go on ahead and tell them I'm coming." Kim responded. "I'll see the kids up to the roof and then link up with you!"

"Oh frak..." the young ganger whined, stopping in the doorframe. He completely ignored Mai, his eyes fixed instead on Alexi's exploded corpse. "Oh shit, I frakkin' killed him, man!"

Yes you did. Kim wanted to say. And he'd have killed you, too.

"Later." she said instead, firmly enough to get the youth's attention. She looked around at the refugees, most of them still in their nightclothes.

"Grab some clothes but be quick. We're getting out of here."

+ + + + + +

Stan

The uphive kill-team cleared the stairs in a blitzing crossfire, then hosed the creaking landing from below to bring down a man who was stupid enough to run towards the gunshots instead of away. They pushed up the stairs, sweeping professional arcs with their gun muzzles.

A ganger with dark, floppy hair was still coughing against the bullet-stippled wall, clutching at his stomach. He held up a red hand towards the nearest soldier in a plea for mercy, trying to form words as blood trickled from his lips.

"Hi, friend." the soldier said brightly, and shot the stammering ganger through the head. "Bye, friend."

Someone barked a code-word in High Gothic from behind a door, and the lead soldier answered in kind. The woodworm-scarred door opened to reveal the duke's grim bodyguard with a pistol in each hand, the duke himself and his two bewildered tagalongs following in his wake.

"Took you long enough." the bodyguard growled caustically.

At the other end of the corridor, Nara peeked out, having back-pedalled furiously after arriving just in time to see the soldiers execute the young Refugee.

"Shit!" she whispered to Stan and Ani, "It's the goon squad."

+ + + + + +

Kimmie

The rag-tag group spilled out onto the roof garden, the more assertive among them dragging their fear-frozen colleagues, the adults breaking forward to sweep up the young children whom Rhenat had been trying to corral by the benches. Kim brought up the rear, covering the narrow stairwell behind them with her autogun. Satisfied, she kicked the door closed and ran to marshal the group, only to find the blonde hostage girl fighting to get past her and back into the building.

"Hey, wait!" Kim exclaimed, arresting the teenager's movement as gently as she could. "You need to stay here, d'you hear me? It's too dangerous down there."

"It's the duke." the girl protested desperately, in her thick underhive accent, "I needta ge' back t'the duke..."

Two other girls, both wearing the same simple black dresses, came running out of the crowd to grab the first girl's arms.

"Please help her." one of them pleaded, fixing her dark, upturned eyes on Kim. "Vamassian did something to her, he's a witch..."

A thunderclap roar drowned the rest of her words. It pressed Kim and the others down against the overcladded roof, loud enough to blind as well as deafen.

+ + + + + +

Interrogator Erdene pushed her foot down into the control yoke, angling the atmospheric engines down to bring the lander to a graceful hover. If Zur Gaadi was built for stealth, then Khu Laan was built for agility, like the mountain-leaping steed she was named for. As the lander tilted its hinged wings, the downwash hammered out concentric rings of dust and promethium smoke, battering one of the parked-up ground cars onto its side and setting the alarm lights flashing on several others. Erdene peered through the cockpit canopy at the crowd cowering on the hotel roof, trying to pick out the people who mattered among the ants. She flicked the switch that controlled the vox stalk looping round her jaw.

"Strike team Aegia this is Edene, can you hear me Hadrak?"

The interrogator hovered her hand over the bay and winch controls, flexing her fingers open and closed. A slow, stealthy approach had not been an option this time, and the PDF Aeronautica were probably scrambling from Spire 9 airbase at that very moment.

"Strike team Kronis." she tried again. "This is Erdene. Are you there, Raeden?"

A sharp crack in her right ear made her flinch, almost causing her to drag the control stick to the side and send her airborne steed ploughing into the flank of the hotel. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the spark of the ricochet as a low-velocity slug cannoned off her armourglass cockpit. Throne! Someone had just tried to snipe her right out of the cockpit.

The close-quarter assault cannon unfolded from the lander's chin and tracked right, linked to the motion of Erdene's visor. The barrels whined as they began to rotate.

Hunched over his rifle in the scaffolding beneath the overpass, Quintus looked into the spinning silver barrels, and saw his Red King grinning back at him. Kimmie and the others had thwarted him once by killing the Prince's knifeman, but the master of mankind would not be denied. The Red King wills it.

Quintus laughed under his breath. "Skulls for His throne."

The assault cannon sparked, whirring like a runaway jackhammer, and Quintus' world exploded into tracers and shrapnel and red.

+ + + + + +

Sarna

Sarna sensed movement and swept a killing arc to her left as she burst into the smoking room. She missed Mai by a hair's breadth, but only because the other woman had dodged so fast that she must have been moving almost before the door opened.

"I...lost Anais." the petite woman admitted. "But everywhere above us is clear. Kimmie's just shepherding the refugees up to the roof, then she'll meet us here."

"Where's Vamassian?" Primus hissed through his teeth. The room around them was large enough to be more of a gallery - all panelled wood; tall, dusty bookcases; and faded leather armchairs. But it was empty.

Mai looked around carefully. "Not here."

Primus' eyebrows drew down and his lips peeled back in a murderer's grimace. "The Slaver's bitch lied to us."

Mai opened her mouth to respond, but the words died in her throat as something like alarm dawned in her eyes. She spun round to face the door - just in time for her dimpled face to be erased in a humming series of micro-explosions.

Flechettes, something from Sarna's fractured memory told her - Eldar flechettes, made from poison-laced crystal; shattered and spat from their serrated barrel at ten or twenty rounds per second. At the same time her body was diving to the side to flatten herself behind the protective edge of a bookcase, and Primus was doing the same even as Mai's body crumpled to the floor, her automag spraying bullets into the walls and ceiling. There were dull thumps as misfiring nerves set the dead woman's limbs flailing and kicking against the carpet, before falling still.

"No, Ellen didn't lie." said a voice, its accent gutter Vaxanhive. "She did however vox ahead to warn me that you were coming here, Kingsmen."

Primus' eyes, temporarily cleared by the shock of the ambush, met Sarna's across the breadth of the gallery. Mai's death-reflex gunfire had ripped into the cables feeding the chandelier lights, and now they were strobing fitfully, rendering Primus into flashes of stop-motion as he silently raised three fingers with his free hand. Sarna chanced a look around the solid bookcase, and saw a short, muscular man dressed in red, a weapon that was half pistol and half dagger gripped in his right fist. Flanking him were two men in leather jackets slashed with silver chevrons, with long hooked knives in their hands.

"Bring me their heads." the man in red ordered, his long, angular features twisting into a smirk. The two knifemen hesitated, wary of the glowing razors of Primus and Sarna's power-swords. They knew exactly what they were and what they could do. The man in red thrust the alien pistol into his belt, furiously.

"I said bring me their frakking heads!" he raged, seizing his two subordinates by the hair. There was a blue glare, out of sync with the strobing of the lights, but before Sarna could process it fully the two men had moved - black flash, crossing the gallery in an eyeblink, and the next pulse of the lights revealed one of the hooked knives slashing for her throat. An instinctive circular parry forced her opponent to dart back, unable to turn her blade aside without shearing his own in two. On the back foot, he couldn't shift his weight enough to avoid the smooth follow-up strike that carved down through his face and out through his sternum. It was over in half a second.

The next half second was an angry hornet's buzz of gunfire, and a sharp sting across the bare skin of her sword arm. She pushed off her right foot and rolled behind an overstuffed armchair, the back of which was torn ragged as an invisible scythe swung across the room, tearing out chunks of the wall plaster and spraying up clouds of ripped paper and couch-stuffing. Primus was half-turned away from her, completing the follow-through of a stroke that had taken the second knifeman's head. He lunged back, as if to grab the falling body and shield himself, but the line of zipping explosions caught him first and opened two red flowers in his back. Sarna expected the sympathetic horror that dropped through her stomach, but she wasn't expecting her fingers to spasm in turn and drop her sword, leaving the disruption field to spark and cut out as it burned into the floor.

Primus was arching back and falling, with a hiss that turned into an almost animal howl. Sarna was looking down at the red, hairline slash where the alien gun had winged her. She felt a tension in her upper arm, a tension that quickly swelled into an almost unbearable pain as her arm muscles locked up, jerking her whole arm up towards her shoulder as they cramped. The seizure drew an involuntary gasp from Sarna's lips and her legs collapsed under her, her cheek hitting the floor. She saw a foot shod in fine black leather stamp into her field of view, kicking her sword away towards the bookcase before sweeping back to strike her in the mouth. The blow rolled her onto her side and filled her mouth with the coppery taste of blood. The man in red was stalking away from her, halting in front of Primus and his decapitated victim.

"You're either the butcher or you're the meat, Red. Well look at me now, and look at you!"

The Kingsman was torqued backward, chest pushed up and shoulders pulled back against the ground, his jaw locked in helpless agony. The strobing light turned his struggles into something horrific.

"Wait...Primus?" the man in red breathed, in sudden recognition. And then he laughed. "I suppose if any of you Red bastards would survive it was going to be you. But who's your new friend?" He turned on his heel to regard Sarna once more. "Actually never mind, I'll ask her myself."

He began to stride back towards her, kicking aside debris and stepping round the coffee table where Primus' blade had fallen. The Eldar pistol was in his right hand; his left was flexing open and closed, and beginning to smoulder with a halo of blue light.

"Your bitch is mine!"

He reached down to grab her head.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 06-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast